Fresh juice from vegetables and fruits delivers all the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants our body needs for good health and well being. You can always eat fresh fruits and veggies whole, but juicing delivers enzymes to our body in the most efficient way. These enzymes play an important role in metabolism. Hence, people who use juicing regularly during breakfast, lunch and dinner actually lose weight and even experience more energy throughout the day. In this guide, we will discuss how to use juicing for weight loss and adopt it for life.
1. Invest in a good juicer
Juicers are of different types: centrifugal, masticating, wheat grass juicer and so on. Select a high quality juicer that juices soft and hard produce efficiently. Masticating juicers work slowly and have a slow RPM rate. However, experts believe that, since this rate of mastication is slow, there is little to no heat produced during the juicing process. This protects the juice from oxidization and you get fresh, healthy and tasty juice containing many vital nutrients.
Here are top 5 masticating juicers in the market:
- Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer
- Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus 850-Watt Juice Extractor
- Hurom HU-100 Masticating Slow Juicer
- Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer B6000S, Silver, includes Sorbet Strainer
- Tribest Green Star GS-1000 Juice Extractor
The above juicers come in the range of $100 to $400. The price might be high, but this investment will last you for years to come. This is an important beginning step for how to juice for life.
2. Buy fresh produce
When selecting the produce you want to juice, always obtain it from local farmer’s market. Buying local and organic assures there are fewer chemicals and you get maximum nutrition. If you do not want to buy organic, make sure that the produce does not have waxy or shiny skin as this means there are chemicals and pesticides on it. If needed, remove the skins before you juice.
Here are some tips for juicing to lose weight:
- Fruit and vegetable skins are generally excellent for weight loss so you might want to juice whole cucumbers, apples, etc. But if the produce has very shiny skin, it is best to de-skin it first. The same is true for carrots and sweet potatoes. You can juice these by removing their skin especially if they are too muddy.
- When juicing for weight loss, avoid vegetables and fruits having high sugar content. These include beets, sweet potatoes, bananas and mangoes. Always try to use a green base for the juice with leafy green vegetables. Kale, spinach and wheat grass are some excellent greens.
- Add a medium apple or pineapple as it imparts great taste to the juice.
- Avoid juicing very soft and mushy fruits like bananas.
- If you live in very cold regions, finding fresh seasonal fruits may be difficult. You can use frozen veggies and fruits for juicing. These give a creamier, smoothie-like consistency to the juice. You might not get all the health benefits from frozen produce, but something is better than nothing always. Always choose sugar-free frozen fruits when juicing for weight loss.
3. Prepare the produce for juicing
To prepare the veggies and fruits for juicing for weight loss wash them in cold water. You can also add a bit of baking soda and vinegar to the soaking water to clear off the grime, pesticides and mud. Use a gentle scrub to clean harder grime. Next, chop the produce in fine pieces. Some veggies and fruits need to be chopped extra fine- especially pears, turmeric, apples, carrots and sweet potatoes. Greens like lettuce, spinach, etc can go in the juicer as is. Make sure you remove the harder stems first. Some masticating juicers have a larger chute size- so you do not need to process the produce much before juicing. Also remove the pits and the hull of fruits before juicing.
4. Storing the juice
If you are a serious juicer juicing for weight loss, you might need to juice before every meal. However, this can get tiring and cumbersome especially if the produce needs to be chopped fine and your masticating juicer takes 20-30 minutes to juice each time. In such a case, you could juice ahead and store the juice in the refrigerator. Some masticating juicers are made with BPA-free food grade materials (such as piano varnishes!) that prevent oxidization of the juice and keep it fresh longer. Invest in such a juicer in case you plan to produce juice in larger quantities. Certain juices get oxidized super fast. Avoid storing these for more than 24 hours. They include Juices of cruciferous veggies like carrots, cabbage and broccoli
5. Juicing for weight loss-health benefits
Juicing for weight loss has several health benefits:
- Raw juices are packed with tons of nutrients. They also contain fiber to keep you full longer.
- Juicing can help prevent hunger pangs and food cravings
- Sugar free fresh fruit and vegetable juice is also free of fat and added dyes or preservatives. They can help detoxify your body and improves immunity. Over time, you will start to experience more energy through the day.
- Regular juicing has been proven to help people lose weight quickly without resorting to impractical diets or strenuous exercise.
6. Start slow
Beginners to juicing must start slowly because drinking nothing but juice for prolonged periods can sometimes be dangerous. Talk to your doctor about juicing and whether it is right for you. You can also start with a 3-day juice detox. In this detox, you fast for 3 days and drink only juice and water. You might experience some headaches, dizziness and even diarrhea when you do this detox. Continue drinking tons of water and take rest when doing this detox.
7. Be aware of the dangers of juicing for weight loss
You can certainly lose weight juicing, but it is important to understand that juices of vegetables and fruits contain very little protein. So, the healthier way to juice and lose weight is to do a half day juice fast where you drink juice for breakfast and not eat anything until lunch. For lunch, you can add some lean protein like chicken. Try and stay away from junk fried foods and limit your carbohydrate intake. Snack on healthy items like nuts, seeds etc, and stay away from sugary desserts. Drink herbal tea 3-4 times a day. Limit alcohol and caffeine intake on the day you fast.
Other healthy meals to take when doing a half-day juice detox:
- Clear homemade soups and broth with little salt
- Miso soup
- Nut milk- coconut, almond milk etc
8. Juice diet recipes for weight loss
Juicing changes the taste of vegetables and fruits and you can also add other tastier fruits to enhance the otherwise bland taste of vegetables such as carrots. Try and drink green, orange and purple colored juices. Here are some great juice diet recipes for weight loss and anti aging:
- Juice of blueberries, blackberries, and red cabbage is packed with Vitamin C. It keeps you full longer and also provides anti-aging benefits.
- Carrot-ginger and orange juice- This anti-inflammatory cocktail prevents signs of aging and also gives weight loss benefits.
- Kale-parsley-wheat grass-spinach-watercress juice- Very rich in iron, this green juice is an excellent recipe for weight loss.
Use the above juice diet recipes and tips for weight loss and do not be afraid to experiment with the produce you juice.