Did you know that there is a latest craze of using cannabis for the skin, and with great results? No, we do not mean smoking weed; we are talking about its topical use for massage, skin care and anti aging effects. In fact; Cannabis oil has been used in skin care since the past few decades. Cannabis oil (which is quite similar to Hemp seed oil) is easily absorbed by the skin where it boosts collagen and elastin giving you a youthful look. It is also useful as a massage oil for pain relief. Let us take a look at some cannabis skin cream remedies for pain relief, anti aging and other benefits.
Cannabis oil skin absorption
The skin is the largest organ of the body and it absorbs pretty much everything we put on it. Therefore, it is even more important that we select our skincare products with extreme caution. Cannabis oil skin absorption rate is much higher than other heavier oils thanks to its high cannabinoid content. Cannabis oil contains more than 60 cannabinoids.
Is weed good for your skin?
Historically, many doctors are known to have used cannabinoids in treating pain. In marijuana patients, CBD effectively reduce the psychoactive effects experienced by smoking weed. Instead, the cannabis oil is mixed with alcohol extracts or used as face masks or balms to reduce pain. The problem is that many states in the United States have still not legalized weed. So, patients often need to obtain it from discrete sources.As of 2016, Florida was the first state to declare cannabis legal followed by Arkansas and North Dakota. To find out if marijuana is legal for medical or recreational use in your state, visit this link.
Cannabis or weed oil contains important medicinal compounds which are known to relieve pain. The main compounds are THC or 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol which gives your skin the youthful look it needs.
Cannabis oil has thousands of uses in skin care:
- Massage oil– When used as a massage oil, you get quick pain relief. This is a blessing for people with fibromyalgia or arthritis, rheumatism etc. Topical cannabis oil in alcohol used on painful joints can quickly relieve pain without any adverse side effects.
- On cuts, scrapes and wounds– When applied to insect bites, stings, cuts, burns and wounds, cannabis oil facilitates rapid healing.
- Rashes and allergies– Use the oil all over dermatitis, scabies, allergic rashes, poison ivy, eczema and psoriasis and you won’t feel the itchiness, pain and burning any more.
- Anti aging– Cannabis face cream and face mask can stimulate collagen production and fill in the creases caused by laugh lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Used regularly, the face mask will keep your skin softer, smoother and more youthful and radiant.
Which Cannabis to use?
There are several strains of Cannabis and the major ones include Indica and Sativa. Cannabis Indica has more medicinal uses than Sativa and the main ones include relief from pain, inflammation, rashes, nausea and even migraines. This is due to its higher THC or 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol content.
Basic cannabis cream recipes
The basic cannabis skin cream recipe can be used by people of all ages. It also contains Hemp seed oil which is closely related to cannabis oil. However, hemp seed oil does not contain as much THC and is perfectly legal.
- 6 g of cannabis trimmed
- Grapeseed or almond oil- 1 ¼ oz
- Coconut oil- 1 ½ oz
- ½ oz beeswax
- Hemp seed oil-1 ¼ oz
- 4 oz distilled water
- 1/3 tsp grapefruit seed extract. This acts as a preservative so the cannabis skin cream lasts long.
- Fragrant essential oil of your choice-10-25 drops.
We are going to start by making infusion of the carrier oils with cannabis. Heat the almond and coconut oils in a pot over low heat and add the cannabis. It is best to use a crock pot for this purpose. Keep the heat on low and let infuse for over 4 hours. Now strain the plant material. Add the beeswax to the hot oil so it melts. In a glass bowl, add water and hemp seed oil. Pour the cannabis and beeswax mixture. Using an electric blender, whisk the mixture until creamy. Add the grapefruit extract and essential oils if using. Scoop out the cream and store in glass jars. Use daily.
The CBD skin care medicine is usually applied only on areas that need it the most. This way, its medicinal compounds reach the targeted areas and start working on them. Many people even use cannabis infused oils in baths, foot bath, massage lotions etc.
Simple cannabis massage oil
- 1 cup Olive oil
- 5grams of Cannabis flowers, dried and ground
- 3 cups water for the slow cooker
Pour the oil and the cannabis in the slow cooker along with water. You can also add additional herbs if you like. Set the cooker on low and simmer for up to 3-4 hours. Make sure the oil does not burn. Using a cheesecloth strain the cooled oil. The oil and water will separate at room temperature. You can use a clean spoon to separate the mixture. Store the oil in a glass bottle. Use within 3-4 days. You can add 2-3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the recipe to create a cinnamon scented salve.
Try these recipes today and let us know the results!