All skin rashes, including heat rash or prickly heat, are caused by an irritation of some sort. In case of prickly heat rashes, the sweat that is supposed to cool the skin down remains trapped beneath the skin’s surface which leads to redness, blisters, papules and itchy bumps. In babies, sweat rashes are made worse by excess swaddling in blankets or warm clothes, wet diapers and frequent use of harsh chemicals including heavy skin-clogging creams. Majority of rashes in babies are best treated with natural ingredients like zinc and castor oil. Both ingredients soothe and heal chaffed and irritated skin in a short amount of time. In this guide, we will study the benefits of zinc and castor oil for nappy rash, eczema, acne as well as heat rashes and also review 5 gentle zinc and castor oil ointments for baby’s sensitive skin.
Castor oil for baby’s heat rash
Castor oil is an ancient healing remedy used for treating various ailments. It is actually known as the Hand of Christ and has been used for centuries for curing different kinds of skin rashes and also as a remedy for treating constipation, kidney problems etc. Castor oil is extremely rich in ricinoleic acid which boosts immunity and promotes rapid lymphatic drainage. This helps eliminate toxins from the body healing all affected bodily systems. Castor oil sourced from the right vendors can help eliminate the root cause of skin rashes. It promotes circulation and enhances the biological energy in the area where it is applied. Castor oil can be easily used on the face without any adverse side effects. It’s nearly 90% fatty acid content eliminates viruses, bacteria, and even yeast and mold.
The best part is its ease of use: castor oil can be massaged all over the heat rash or nappy rash and covered or bandaged overnight to work its magic.
Zinc for heat rash
Zinc is an important mineral for human health and many body functions are dependent on it. Topical application of zinc is considered even more superior compared to oral zinc intake as it delivers sustained release of zinc ions that soothe blemishes and speed up healing of rashes and wounds. In acne sufferers, it is found that this important mineral is usually lacking. Therefore, eating a diet rich in zinc-rich foods like seafood, nuts, whole grains, fortified cereals, seeds etc is very important to prevent acne, dermatitis, miliaria etc.
Top 5 zinc and castor oil creams for heat rash in infants
- Zinc and Castor oil cream by TD Naturals– This natural antiseptic cream contains non nano zinc and organic castor oil. It is unscented and does not contain peanut oil or other allergens. Therefore, it is especially suited for baby’s delicate skin. The cream is easy to apply and can also be used on baby’s face. The zinc creates a barrier that protects the skin from environmental effects and moisture and its mild antiseptic action cures, heals and soothes. Castor oil is anti-inflammatory in nature which prevents potential rashes. You can even use this cream on bedridden elderly patients who suffer from bedsores.
- Boudreaux’s Butt Paste– This formula also contains zinc and castor oil along with soothing Aloe Vera. The unscented formula is safe for use on baby’s bottom and can also be used on folds of the skin under the elbows, thighs, chin, neck etc. Its 40% zinc oxide content helps heal rashes overnight. Caution: the product stains clothes.
- Anti Monkey Butt rash cream– This product contains 12% zinc oxide while castor oil is among its inactive ingredients. It is a very useful zinc and castor oil cream to keep on hand not just for babies suffering from diaper rashes but also for adults prone to skin rashes, eczema, acne, insect bite rashes etc. The cream also contains calamine which is useful on sunburns, prickly heat, blisters, bug bites and stings. Apply day and night to prevent diaper rashes, redness, soothe bug bites etc quickly without harmful side effects.
- Babo Botanicals soothing diaper rash cream– This is a fantastic zinc and castor oil cream for nappy rash which also contains oatmeal, chamomile, calendula, Shea butter, vitamin E and rosemary. It is completely organic and perfect for sensitive skin type.
- Acure baby buns with non nano zinc and castor oil-Apart from castor oil and non-nano zinc, this gentle formula also contains coconut oil, borage, shea butter and pumpkin. It is cruelty free and has a 0 EWG rating. It soothes heat rash, nappy rash, and all other skin rashes quickly and gently.
Zinc and castor oil based ointment or cream is one of the best products you can use to soothe all kinds of rashes in babies and adults including nappy rash, heat rash, poison ivy rashes etc.