If you have been experiencing hair fall or seeing a receding hairline, the most likely cause is a deficiency of best vitamins for faster hair growth. Vitamins and minerals not only strengthen your tissues, muscles, bones and heart and ensure resistance against several diseases, they also strengthen your nails and make your hair strong and shiny. Below is the list of the best vitamins for hair growth and minerals that are essential for healthier hair.
1. Vitamin B12 also called cobalamin
- Vitamin B12 is a water – soluble essential vitamin that plays an important role in DNA synthesis. It is also affects the fatty acid and amino acid metabolism and hence plays a vital role in neurological development. Deficiency of this essential vitamin causes fatigue and poor memory. It also causes hair fall and nails breakage.
- Important sources of vitamin B12 are shellfish, meat (liver), poultry, eggs, milk and other dairy products. Vegans and vegetarians find themselves deficient in vitamins for faster hair growth more often.
- Many hair care products are also fortified with Vitamin B12 to improve the thickness, shine and length of the hair. Choose any reputed brand of hair care products to supplement the best vitamins for hair growth and vitamins for hair growth and thickness.
2. Vitamin D the sunshine vitamin
- Vitamin D3 is essential for healthy growth of bones, ligaments, skin and nails. It is also important vitamins for faster hair growth. Vitamin D3 is synthesized in the human body out of vitamin D2, which must be directly absorbed.
- Morning sunlight is the only source of Vitamin D2 and an hour – long exposure everyday certainly helps. Other sources, apart from direct synthesis that is, of vitamin D3 are fish, grains, mushrooms, eggs, and dairy.
- Having said that, Vitamin D is one of the best vitamins for hair growth and thickness. Vitamin D is a fat – soluble vitamin and excess consumption will lead to hypervitaminosis that leads to toxicity. So, it is better to get a diagnostic test conducted before you decide to take supplements for Vitamin D. A general practitioner can help with diagnostic tests and prescribing appropriate does of supplements.
3. Vitamin C
- It is no concealed fact that Vitamin C is essential to build immune system but what is less known is that it is also a great source of nutrients for healthy, shiny and soft hair.
- Direct sources of vitamin C are all citrus fruits, cucumber, broccoli, radishes, cantaloupe and berries. Direct application of lemon juice helps immensely.
- The compounds in Vitamin C also fight dandruff keeping the scalp clean and giving a breather to the hair follicles. You can also look for hair products fortified with Vitamin C and use them regularly. The best however is direct consumption. A well – balanced diet with fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy, lean meat, salad vegetables and fermented food like rye bread will not only increase consumption of vitamin C but also all the other essential vitamins for faster hair growth and thickness.
4. Vitamin B7 also called Biotin
- Vitamin B7, which is also called Biotin, is easily the most important and one of the best vitamins for hair growth and vitamins for hair growth and thickness. Apart from hair growth, it plays a major role in production of fatty acids and amino acids that keep your muscles, tissues and ligaments healthy.
- Food such as eggs, meat, barley, yeast (brewers yeast that is used to make beer), cereals, milk and wheat bran are rich in this vitamin B7 along with other vitamins for hair growth and thickness.
- B7 works in tandem with the other B group vitamins such as B6 and B12. A deficiency of one or more of B group vitamins eventually leads to the deficiency of the other B group vitamins. B7 deficiency can be caused by medication, hormonal imbalance in women due to consumption of contraceptive pills, and thyroid malfunction.
5. Minerals such as Iron, Zinc and Magnesium
- While iron, zinc and magnesium are important for several bodily functions like production of hemoglobin and strengthening muscles, they also help with keeping the scalp moist and dandruff – free.
- All leafy greens are rich in iron. However, to aid iron absorption, include food rich in vitamin C in your meal. Zinc and magnesium can be naturally found in adequate quantities like nuts, legumes, lentils, Greek or any natural live yogurt; and seeds such as sunflower, hemp, and flax. Magnesium can be obtained from avocadoes, bananas, leafy greens, dark chocolate and dried fruits.
- These minerals along with vitamins for faster hair growth help maintain a healthy scalp, shiny and strong hair and an overall sense of well being.
A glass of lemonade with salt instead of sugar, leafy vegetables, rye bread or mashed vegetables without added butter, some lean meat or baked fish with a slice of cottage cheese is a balanced meal at no extra cost or time . Snack on avocados, bananas, citrus fruits and celery sticks instead of heavily processed or salted snacks and beverages rich in sugar and soda. Indulgences are not a strict no, but modern lifestyle ceases to differentiate between food and fun . Eating healthy food will provide all vitamins for hair growth and thickness and also makes you a fit individual and help you lead a fulfilling life.