Goethe once said, “The hardest thing to see is the one in front of your eyes”. There are many herbs, spices and natural ingredients that can prevent hundreds of health issues and save countless lives. One such ‘gift from nature’ is the Moringa Oilefera tree. The tiny leaves of this plant have the potential to save millions of lives on this planet. In today’s article, we will study health benefits of moringa powder or oil for men and women.
What is Moringa Oilefera?
Moringa is a humble plant that has been around for centuries. It yields drumsticks like pods that are used to make curries in India. Ancient Indian medicinal texts have shown records of the plants’ seeds, flowers and leaves use in healing various diseases since nearly 5000 years! The tree grows around parts of North India and there are nearly 13 known species of it, as of today. Over time, Moringa has spread from India to other countries with tropical or sub tropical climate. Long before means of modern communication that are available today, people from all around the world, where Moringa grew, started discovering its medicinal properties. This fact alone led scientists to investigate more about the benefits and side effects of Moringa. Let us list the benefits of Moringa first.
Health and other benefits of Moringa
- Edible– Moringa oil is clear and odorless. Since it does not go rancid for long, it can be used in cooking. It has a high oleic and monosaturated fatty acid content which makes it useful in frying and sautéing. Moringa pods called ‘drumsticks’ in India can be used for making soups, stews and curries.
- Amino acids– Moring oil is rich in 13 different types of amino acids such as Isoleucine, Leucine and Lysine etc. These are the building blocks of the human body and help synthesize calcium, proteins and other nutrients needed for string healthy body.
- Anti-aging-Moringa oil is rich in antioxidants which help fight free radical damage. This prevents wear and tear of the body that causes aging. Taken regularly, Moringa oil can also fight certain cancers.
- Multivitamins– Moringa leaves are known to contain 7 times the Vitamin C of oranges, 4 times the vitamin A in carrots and 4 times the calcium of milk. The leaves are also rich in potassium and proteins. Vitamins B1, B2, B3, and chromium, copper, iron, magnesium and manganese are also found in Moringa. It is almost like taking a daily multi vitamin an multi mineral pill when you consume Moringa leaves!
- Beauty-Moringa oil is the most stable oil found in nature. It does not go rancid for a very long time. The oil is obtained from moringa seeds by mechanical extraction. Today, the oil is known to have hundreds of pharmaceutical and cosmecutical uses. The seeds of Moringa Oilefera yield 38-40% edible oil called Ben oil. This oil is rich in essential fatty acids and Vitamins A and C. These nutrients find use in skin and hair care.
- Environmental benefits– The roots of Moriga trees are known to prevent soil erosion. They are also used in alley cropping, honey production etc. Moringa seeds are used in water purification. The tree can even be used for biogas production as well as fodder for livestock. When used as fodder, Moringa increased milk production in cows.
- Flowers– The flowers of Moringa plant are known for their medicinal properties.
- Moringa leaf powder –The powder was used for treating pregnant women and sick babies in parts around Africa. The women recovered from anemia and gave birth to babies with normal weight. The powder also helped in weight maintenance of underweight babies.
How to use Moringa in your daily routine?
Here are some simple Moringa remedies for your daily skin and hair care routine.
1. Moringa face serum for sensitive and mature skin
- Moringa oil- 30 ml
- Rose hip oil-30 ml
- Evening primrose oil-24 ml
- Castor oil-10 ml
- Vitamin E oil- 1 caplet
- 5 drops of Rosemary essential oil + 10-12 drops of any essential oil such as sandalwood, lavender etc
- 1 ml/g Bisabolol
Mix all oils. Apply daily/nightly to face and neck.
Moringa powder smoothies
Moringa powder is readily available online and offline. You can add it to your smoothies and shakes. It facilitates weight loss by curbing appetite. Since your body gets all the nutrition it needs from it, you do not indulge in binge eating which curbs weight gain. Add just 1 teaspoon of Moringa powder to the smoothie as too much could lead to diarrhea.
2. Super weight loss shake/smoothie with Moringa and Spirulina
- ½ avocado peeled
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 ½ oz fresh or frozen pineapple chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp Moringa leaf powder
- ¼ tsp Chlorella or Spirulina powder
- ½ tbsp probiotic powder
- 1 cup plain water or coconut water
Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend well and serve immediately.
3. Moringa leaf tea
Make moringa leaf tea by adding some fresh or dried leaves/powder to hot water. Steep for 5- 10 minutes. The tea has following benefits:
- Increase breast milk in lactating mothers,
- Aid in weight loss, restrict phlegm,
- Curb the growth of tumors,
- Strengthen eye muscles
- Fight insomnia
- Curb stress
- Increase semen and prevent infertility
- Kill intestinal parasites
- Reduce arthritis pains
- Make skin glow
- Strengthen immunity
- Control blood pressure
- Relieve headaches and migraines.
Moringa is a miracle tree cultivated on a massive scale in African and Asian countries to counter malnutrition, anemia and other health issues prevalent in third world countries. Use moringa drumsticks/pods to make curries, soups or stews. You can even buy Moringa powder or Moringa oil online and use it daily for internal/topical use. There are very few side effects of Moringa powder when used as directed.