Ringworm treatment holistic is a popular search term on the Internet as increasingly, people are looking to get rid of this persistent fungal skin infection using herbal or natural ringworm cures. Ringworm, as you already know, especially if you have been suffering from it recurrently, is a skin infection that gives rise to a raised scaly patchy rash on the skin that is uncomfortable, unsightly and also itchy. It can occur on various parts of the body, including the beard area in men, scalp, neck, arms, legs, back, upper torso, groin and even the nail bed. Accordingly, ringworm (or Tinea as it is known in medical science) acquires different names such as Tinea Pedis, Tinea Cruris, Tinea corporis, Athlete’s Foot, Jock’s Itch and so on.
Natural Cures for Ringworm
Some scientific evidence is now backing several of the natural cures for ringworm. People are increasingly turning towards holistic ringworm treatments because they are tired of taking oral antifungal medicines which come with a plethora of side effects. Moreover, the ringworm infection recurs in nearly 90% of these cases, as a result of which the patient has to again take antifungal medicines only to repeat the cycle. To overcome this, people are looking for best herbal cures for ringworm to eradicate this skin disease from it root.
Why does ringworm occur?
Ringworm mainly occurs when you come in contact with a person suffering from it. It is a highly contagious skin disease which makes it the number one reason why kids tend to pick it up from school. Indeed; ringworm of the scalp is very common in school aged children as they come in close contact with other sufferers. Lack of hygiene, improper washing of hands etc can also contribute to the spread of this disease.
Secondly, ringworm is more common in sportspeople and athletes as well. Bodybuilders and wrestlers who tend to practice contact sports for long periods of time (under sweaty and humid conditions) are likely sufferers of recurrent ringworm. The close contact causes the spores of the dermatophyte (the fungi that causes ringworm) to spread from one infected person to a healthy person.
Thirdly, we can also pick up the spores of fungi from wet floors near public washrooms, toilets, gyms, swimming pools etc, especially after walking bare feet in said areas.
Herbal medicine for ringworm that works!
Many herbal medicines for ringworm have shown excellent results in not just treating it quickly but also preventing it from recurring. These popular herbal remedies for ringworm are:
- Tea Tree oil- This is especially beneficial in treating Athlete’s Foot. The Australian Journal Of dermatology has documented a case study that showed the efficacy of tea tree essential oil in treating Tinea infections of the foot in sportspersons. 104 patients having Athlete’s Foot were kept on 10%Tea Tree oil and another control group on prescription strength tolnaftate which is a popular antifungal tinea remedy sold by prescription. The tea tree oil group had similar results and showed significant improvement in ringworm symptoms.
How to use Tea tree oil herbal remedy for ringworm– Buy 100% tea tree essential oil from a reputed source. Apply it undiluted to the ringworm infection. The oil might burn and sting a bit, but it is essential that you use it concentrated. Only in case it is very difficult to bear the sting, then you could dilute the oil a bit using some carrier oils like coconut or olive oil etc. Make use of cotton swabs to apply the oil to the ringworm. Wash your hands after application. Ensure repeating the application every 3 hours for best results.
- Garlic – A poultice made from garlic is highly useful in treating ringworm infections. Garlic extracts contain ajoene which has been studied and found to be effective on Tinea Cruris and Tinea corporis with healing rates of nearly 75%.
How to use garlic for ringworm– Crush a few cloves of garlic and mix them with olive oil. Apply the liquid and the crushed paste to the ringworm. Cover the infection with a bandage. Try to keep it on for at least 3 hours and thereafter, wash off with warm water. Repeat the remedy 3 times a day until the infection clears.
- Lemongrass herbal remedy for ringworm– Lemongrass is an herbal remedy having antimicrobial properties. You can consume it in form of a tea or even make a paste or poultice and apply it to the ringworm on the skin. This natural antiseptic kills the dermatophytic agents that are causing the tinea and cures it completely.
How to use lemongrass herbal remedy for ringworm-Crush some lemongrass and make a paste using warm water or buttermilk. Apply this all over the ringworm rash. Wash off after 30minutes. Repeat 3 times a day.
- Turmeric– Turmeric has been used as a holistic remedy in Ayurveda-the ancient Indian medical science- to treat several different types of skin infections. It contains curcumin which has antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties. A lot of research is being conducted on Turmeric including on its efficacy to treat and prevent Parkinson’s Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases.
How to use it- You can use turmeric powder or oil. You can consume turmeric orally by adding it to a glass of warm milk. You can make a paste of turmeric powder with some water and apply it on the ringworm rashes. Alternatively, use the oil on the rash. Be careful as it could stain your clothing permanently.
- Ginger-This root herb has many healing properties. Great deal of scientific research has been conducted on this herb for its medicinal properties. It may be consumed orally to strengthen immunity and prevent recurring ringworm infections.
How to use it-crush some ginger and squeeze its juice out. Apply this to the ringworm rash. It might sting a bit. Let it air dry. Repeat application several times a day. Also make an immunity strengthening tea by steeping ginger in hot water. Add a few drops of lemon juice and honey and drink this mixture several times a day to cure ringworm from inside out.
We hope these holistic herbal ringworm remedies help you cure your ringworm completely. Remember: what works for one might not necessarily work for all. So, it is vital that you try out different things in order to make the ringworm treatment holistic ideas work for you!