Most types of ringworm treatment for kids include anti fungal medications. In this guide, we shall discuss a few home remedies for ringworm treatment for kids, as well as ringworm infections in very young children (under the age of 2). We will also briefly cover the ringworm treatment for kids where the scalp region is affected.
Conventional ringworm treatment for kids
As stated above, doctors mainly prescribe antifungal powders, creams or shampoos as part of the ringworm treatment for kids. Many of these medicines containing miconazole or clotrimazole, are fairly inexpensive and also readily available over the counter. In severe cases, oral anti fungal medications may be administered at prescription strength by the child’s doctor.
Home remedies for ringworm treatment for kids
Let us discuss some effective home remedies for ringworm treatment for kids:
- Tea tree oil- Teat tree oil is a natural anti-microbial and anti fungal essential oil that comes in highly concentrated form. It must be mixed with carrier oils like almond oil or coconut oil and massaged on the affected region on the skin/scalp and left overnight. Nowadays, many shampoos and lotions containing tea tree essential oil are readily available over the counter. Highly concentrated forms of the oil must not be used on very delicate skin in babies and toddlers, or near the eyes and mouth as allergic reactions have been reported. Some cases of respiratory problems have been reported in pets when using concentrated tea tree oil.
- Coconut oil- Coconut oil is another of the highly effective ringworm treatment for kids especially when the scalp region is affected. Massage the oil on the scalp each night and wash off next morning using medicated dandruff control shampoos containing selenium. This treatment is effective when done twice a week.
- Betadine or diluted form of iodine is also one of the effective home remedies for ringworm treatment for kids.
- Ensure that the child gets adequate sunshine each day as this hinders the fungal growth. Do make sure that child does not get sun burnt, when following the home remedy.
- Apply a bit of hydrogen peroxide to the site of the ringworm using a Q-tip. This will help clear the infection quickly and is one of the tried and tested ringworm treatment for kids.
As a part of home remedies and ringworm treatment for kids, it is important to keep the child’s bedding and surrounding areas clean. In case of hard flooring, wash it with bleach and warm water and in case of carpets, have them steam cleaned and vacuumed regularly to eliminate fungal spores.
Prevention and ringworm treatment for kids under the age of 2
Babies and toddlers generally get ringworm infections from infected people or pets. Excess sweating, walking on infected floors at daycare or near swimming pools etc are a few other ways in which toddlers can get ringworm. In such cases, prevention forms an important part of ringworm treatment for kids:
- Any skin rash in infants must be promptly brought to the notice of the child’s pediatrician.
- Possible complications from skin fungal infections include development of bacterial infections if the child scratches it. Hence care must be taken to prevent this. Keeping the child’s nails trimmed and putting socks on its hands is one of the best ways of preventing such complications.
- It is safer to keep the child away from daycare/preschool until the ringworm treatment for kids has been administered.
- It is important to prohibit sharing of towels, combs, and other infected clothing/items to prevent ringworm from affecting healthy children.
Ringworm treatment for kids in the scalp region
- Shampoos, lotions and other topical applications containing antifungal ingredients help clear most ringworm afflictions of the scalp. Griseofulvin in the liquid form can also be applied for 8-10 weeks. Prescription tablets and liquid oral antifungal medication may be given under the guidance of a doctor.
- Four week course of prescription Terbinafine is also known as an effective ringworm treatment for kids in case of scalp infections.
The aforementioned ringworm treatment for kids is generally well tolerated. That being said; it is necessary to talk to the child’s pediatrician regarding possible side-effects as well as a list of cautions to exercise before considering a particular ringworm treatment for kids.