Commercial hand sanitizers contain alcohol, triclosan and BPA. It takes just 2 seconds for the skin on the hand to absorb these chemicals. Alcohol based hand sanitizers are extremely drying and can make your skin wrinkled and rough from frequent use. Additionally, BPA based sanitizers are toxic to the body and can even cause cancer. If you have decided to go green, now is a good time to start making your own DIY homemade sanitizer sprays.
The basic ingredients of any good hand sanitizer recipe include Grain Alcohol, Aloe Vera gel or Witch hazel and about 3% of essential oils of the total mixture.
Here are our top homemade hand sanitizer recipes:
1. Easy hand sanitizer gel with Aloe Vera
This is a very easy recipe to make scented hand sanitizer. It is alcohol based but we will also discuss some recipes of homemade hand sanitizer without alcohol. You can use any essential oil of your choice in this recipe. Always go for pure ingredients and make sure the essential oil you use is 100% certified pure and organic.
- 1 cup Aloe Vera gel
- 9 tsp alcohol (vodka works best)
- 2 tbsp vegetable glycerin
- 20 drops of essential oils of your choice-like Lavender, Chamomile, Lemon or Peppermint
Mix all the ingredients and shake well. Fill the blend up in small plastic bottles. Carry the bottles in your purse and keep one in your office and car. This homemade hand sanitizer recipe takes longer to dry but it is completely safe and smells heavenly.
NOTE: Be selective in using your essential oils as some of them can be very strong. Never apply essential oils undiluted on children’s hands. The essential oils used in above recipe can include but are not limited to: Tea tree, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Cinnamon leaf, Geranium and Peppermint. Basically almost all essential oils have antimicrobial germ fighting abilities. So just about any oil can be added to Aloe Vera gel or witch hazel and you have a wonderful homemade hand sanitizer. Just blend and use. You do not need more than 20 drops of the oil per ounce of hand cleaner to make a nice scented and pleasant hand sanitizer cleaner having the sanitizing properties you want. Simply add any essential oil along with a floral essential oil to create a nice refreshing scented homemade hand sanitizer.
Tip: Gels like Aloe Vera do not “pour” into the bottle. So it can be challenging to get the product in your bottle. What you can do is mix the gel and oils in a Ziploc bag and shake it well. Next, cut a small hole in the Ziploc bag and squeeze the mixture into the bottle.
2. Essential oil homemade hand sanitizer (without Aloe Vera and Alcohol)
Make a huge batch of this sanitizer and use it on household surfaces as well as on hands to sanitize them.
- 200 drops of Clove oil (powerful antioxidant)
- 175 drops of Lemon oil (antibacterial and antiseptic)
- 100 drops of Cinnamon bark oil (antifungal)
- 75 drops of Eucalyptus oil (antibacterial)
- 50 drops of Rosemary oil (analgesic and antiseptic)
Mix all the oils and store the blend in a dark colored bottle. You can use this blend to disinfect household surfaces. To use: take a small quantity of the blend in a spray bottle containing distilled water. Spray all over the surfaces. Make sure you shake the bottle well before use. Use this homemade sanitizer spray to clean countertops doorknobs, steering wheels and also add it to dishwasher. This is a wonderful non toxic homemade hand sanitizer recipe that is ideal for use during flu and cold season.
3. Easy homemade hand sanitizer with witch hazel
- ½ cup or 4 oz. witch hazel
- 44 drops of Lavender, Melaleuca or Eucalyptus oils
- 4 oz. glass spray bottle
Combine the witch hazel and essential oils in the spray bottle. Shake well before use.
4. Homemade Witch hazel and Aloe Vera hand sanitizer recipe (without alcohol)
- 1 cup witch hazel
- ½ cup Aloe vera gel
- 2 drops each Lavender and Chamomile essential oils (anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antifungal)
- 8-10 drops of Tea tree oil (antiseptic)
Mix all the above ingredients and store them in a squeeze bottle or an empty hand sanitizer bottle. Shake the bottle well before use. Store the bottle away from direct light or heat.
5. Non-alcohol based scented hand sanitizer spritzer
- 3 oz. liquid Aloe Vera gel from pharmacy
- 10 drops Lavender oil
- 2 drops Rose Otto
Blend all ingredients and store them in a PET bottle.
We all know the importance of having clean hands. Cleaning hands regularly with soap and water is best but we might not always have access to these. Homemade hand sanitizer recipes are wonderful for quick cleaning and you can keep them on hand at all times for their germ fighting properties.