Over 40 and can’t lose weight? Diet and exercise not showing results? Let us take a look at some important things you need to do in order to lose weight after menopause.
1. Drink green smoothies
This is an important weight loss technique for all those women looking for losing weight after 45. Drink healthy vegetable and fruit smoothies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can also pack up a smoothie and take for work. Drink a few sips from time to time. This will help curb unhealthy cravings, fill you up with fiber and keep you full longer. Smoothies also prevent constipation and bloating resulting in weight loss.
2. Snack on fruits and vegetables
Carry several packaged boxes with celery, carrots, apples, broccoli, cucumbers and other healthy vegetables to work. Snack on these in-between meals instead of reaching out for cookies and chips.
3. Pay attention to what you eat
When you focus on what’s on your plate (and not what’s on the computer/phone screen or the TV) then you will eat less. This is an easy and an important tip to losing weight after 45.
4. Increase your protein intake
A moderate to high protein diet is necessary for losing weight over 40, for females and males. Snack on hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, and unsalted nuts and seeds. In main meals, include fatty fish, chicken and turkey. Avoid red meat.
5. Drink 8-10 glasses of water
All those looking for losing weight after 40, male or female, should increase water intake. You can also drink herbal teas and green tea. The latter is especially beneficial for curbing belly fat as shown by studies.
6. Breakfast like a king…dinner like a pauper
Healthy morning meal is very important to curb junk food cravings in the mid-morning. Try to get most of your total calorie intake before 6 pm.
7. Avoid certain foods strictly
If you are over 40 and can’t lose weight, chance are you are eating too much of the following: white breads, pasta, sugar, white rice, red meat, dairy, alcohol, coffee, soda, and processed foods. Limit intake of these items as much as possible. Eat whole grains, brown rice, lean meat, nuts, seeds and fruits and vegetables.
8. Balance your hormones
Hormonal imbalance occurs due to certain reasons and is one of the main culprits behind why people are unable to lose weight after 40.
- Toxic overload– improper diet, unhealthy environment, heavy metals, dental fillings etc. Removing these toxins and using detoxification cleanses from time to time can help.
- Stress– practice mind-body and breathing techniques to overcome stress and reduce cortisol levels.
- Consuming inorganic foods-Inorganic produce adds to toxic overload. Choose organic fruits and vegetables and USDA certified organic lean meat, eggs etc.
When your hormones get balanced, your body will automatically come back to its ideal weight. Here are some more remedies to balance hormone naturally.
9. Take supplements
Supplements cannot and should not ever replace a healthy, well balanced diet. However, in some cases, nutritional deficiencies can lead to cravings and unhealthy binge eating. So take a good multi vitamin/mineral pill. You also need calcium and magnesium to lose weight after 40 and menopause.
10. Focus on the right exercise
Every woman over 40 should do the following 4 exercises daily for weight loss and also for maintaining muscles which are lost after menopause:
- Fold your arms in front of you mummy style or hold them in front of you.
- Place feet at shoulder width – the key is to minimize knees flexing.
- Breathe in before going down; breathe out when you come up.
- Stay tall-do not bend your upper body forward.
- Hinge your hips slightly back and keep the angle of your spine the same as the lower legs.
- You should ideally only go down as much as your thighs allow and remain parallel to the floor. Push yourself back up when your butt starts to tuck in.
- Keep feet flat on the floor.
Do 2 sets of 15 each to start with.
Image: Joshua Spodek
- Stand up straight.
- Squat in the frog position-palms on the floor, legs bent at knees and toes on the floor.
- Keeping palms flat on the floor jump slightly to take your legs behind. Toes touching the floor so you will be in the ‘plank position’.
- Jump a bit again to return to starting frog position. Now stand up and jump as if trying to touch the ceiling.
Do 2 sets of 15 each to start with.
Just one minute of plank everyday and you will have stronger arms, thighs, butt and core.
- Place palms flat on the ground exactly below shoulders. In this position, try to rotate the elbow ‘pits’ forward. You can also do the plank with elbows on the floor and fingers interlaced or palms facing upwards
- Fold your feet and balance your bodyweight on the mound that spans the area beneath big toe and pinkie toe.
- Align your spine-head to toe like steel! Do not drop your head or slump your shoulders. Your body should be like the plank.
- Squeeze the stomach muscles inwards. Keep the buttock tight.
Try to hold the plank for at least 60 seconds daily.
- Lay face down on the ground with hands beneath armpits and near the chest and feet resting on the toes.
- Push up to straighten arms and keep body balanced on toes. Make sure the core is tightened.
- Squeezing the quads, glutes and bracing the core will help maximize this workout.
- Lower the body very slowly keeping body in a straight line from head to ankles
- Try to go down as much as you can.
- Push upwards and repeat.
Do 2 sets of 15 reps each.
We are sure these 10 tips help you with weight loss after 40 and menopause.