Koreans are well known for their porcelain skin and clear complexions. The country literally breathes beauty; the air is skin care. Koreans invest a lot on multitudes of products that promise a dewy skin and given the fact that most people there have such beautiful and flawless skin, indicates that this isn’t just false advertising. So let us find out all about the Korean skin care tips for acne and secrets which should not be secrets anymore.
1. Beauty and skincare should be simple, reasonable and natural
Koreans (and Asians in general) understand the concept of real beauty which is whole and that it includes inner and outer beauty. Most Asian philosophies believe that beauty should be cultivated from inside out. And therefore, one of the first Korean beauty secrets for natural beauty is cultivating a holistic lifestyle free from toxins.
2. Understand the needs of your skin
This is another of the most important Korean beauty secrets having a focus on diet. Your skin is trying to tell you something if you are breaking out constantly. Perhaps you are eating too much junk, not drinking enough water or not using the right products. Instead of using cosmetics blindly, write down product names that you use and foods that you eat in a day, in a journal. Then start to eliminate one products or one food at a time to see if it makes a difference.
3. Sun is the worst for your skin
Like most Asians, Koreans love brighter, whiter skin and so they avoid the sun as much as possible. Most importantly, they never step outside without a UVA and UVB protection sunscreen.
4. Balance of Yin and Yang
To get skin like Korean naturally, your focus should be on a balance between good and evil, positive and negative, hot and cold. Too much of cold in the body can lead to depression and other anxiety issues which reflect on your skin. Likewise, too much heat can give rise to rashes on the skin. Here are some foods with their categories:
- Yang foods (hot)- spices, lamb, peppers etc
- Yang foods (warm)-onion, garlic, coffee, walnuts, chicken, shrimp, yogurt, butter, pumpkin seeds etc.
- Yin foods (cooling)- apples, broccoli, cabbage, chard, sesame seeds etc
- Yin foods (cold)- cucumbers, watermelons, lettuce, barley, tofu etc
- Neutral foods (foods good for all)- eggs, oats, almonds, peas, peanuts, rice, fish, etc.
It is important to eat a healthy mix of above foods instead of bingeing on one type.
5. Use herbs and natural proteins in your skincare
Korean homemade beauty secrets include the use of herbs like lilies, Solomon’s seal, lotus, peonies etc. Many top Korean beauty brands also contain exotic ingredients such as snail secretions (called snail mucin which is rich in natural hyaluronic acid), bee venom, donkey milk etc. Here are some more ingredients you might see in Korean skin care product:
- Acne– Azealic acid, gingko biloba, tea tree oil, retinoids, niacinamide.
- Inflammation and redness-Honey, yogurt, zinc oxide, Aloe Vera, willow bark extract etc.
- For scar prevention-Astragalus, licorice extracts, snail secretion.
- In case of dull skin-mulberry extracts, snail secretion, retinoids, arbutin
- For dry, parched skin– Donkey milk, goat milk, Aloe, honey, lactobacillus, mango seed butter, shea etc.
- Anti-aging-Retinoids, antioxidant extracts, niacinamide.
6. Top Korean skincare brands
If you plan on buying Korean skincare products, the following brands are worth checking out:
Most of these brands are cruelty free so you won’t see them adding ground snails in your skin cream.
7. Korean skin care routine for daily beauty maintenance
- Cleanse- Wash your face with ph balancing foaming cleanser. LJH Tea tree cleanser is great as it won’t strip your skin.
- Tone- Use a toner which further balances the ph of the skin. COSRX AHA/BHA paves the way to the vitamin C treatment which we recommend next.
- Exfoliate with vitamin C based serum such as the C 21.5.
- Moisturizer- SN-T plant stem cell sebum control in case of acne and blemishes. You can also use a BB cream with SPF (MISSHA M Signature real BB cream has SPF 25++).
- Cleanse with the tea tree cleanser. For very dry skin, you can go for Korean skin care cleansing oils like the one from Missha.
- Follow up with this snail repair anti aging ampoule by Mizon.
And that is pretty much there is to Korean beauty secrets to white skin and clear complexion. Do try these Korean skin care products out and let us know the results.