Jade might be a ‘mysterious green stone’ for the West, but in China, it has been used for nearly 4000 years for cosmetic and beauty purposes. Jade rollers are not only lovely to use; they are a delight to look at as well. When you see the green, gleaming jade stone you literally ‘see’ thousands of years of rich history and cannot help but feel a sense of luxury and richness.
If you are new to jade rollers, read on! In this guide, we will answer questions about jade rollers: how to use it on the face and the neck, whether one should use it before or after moisturization, and the best brand of jade roller to buy for use in your skincare routine.
What is a jade roller?
A jade roller is a face roller massager. In its simplest form, it consists of a handle with a ‘roll-able’ jade stone attached to one end. The stone can be freely rolled over the neck, face, and eyes and you can even use it on the back. Some jade roller massagers come with two jade stones, one large and the other small, to roll across different areas. Smaller jade stones are used to roll over the eyes, lips, nose, and other delicate features that do not need too much pressure. Some jade stone rollers are rigged or spiked to improve blood circulation. Many manufacturers sell jade stone rollers with ‘gua sha’ tools. These are heart-shaped, flat tools that are used for exfoliating dead skin. When used in combination with a serum and jade roller, the gua sha tool can take your skincare to a whole different level!
Jade roller facial treatments
Jade rollers are beneficial for the skin as they apply gentle pressure and stimulate ‘chi’ energy flow. The cool stone is often combined with different facial treatments. Many spas and cosmetologists offer Chinese or Eastern spa treatments with jade rolling as a part of their service. These treatments include the use of Jade rolling after application of certain ingredients/serums to the skin such as Chinese green tea face-mask, ginseng, rice water, etc.
Benefits of face roller massagers with jade stones
In China, face massages using jade stones have been around from as early as the 7th century and its benefits are proven:
- It encourages lymphatic drainage and moves stagnant lymph fluid from the face. This reduces under-eye bags, puffiness, and bloat.
- Today, many men and women go for regular face-massages and facial treatments over invasive face-lifts. This is because; face massages instantly lift the face to reduce that aged look. Although the effect may be temporary, face massages with jade rollers can be used in the comforts of one’s home and are certainly a lot less expensive compared to surgical face-lifts. Face roller massage with jade stone can be done on a daily basis and the acupressure effect can last for several hours. The increased blood flow and circulation help ‘tighten’ facial muscles and give the face an energized, younger, and healthier look.
- Jade is a cooling stone that, when rolled over the skin, reduces inflammation. This could, to some extent, prevent acne and other inflammatory skin issues like rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, etc.
- Jade roller for face and neck can stimulate elastin and collagen layers to fight wrinkles, fine lines, laugh lines, etc.
- The cool jade roller also tightens facial pores and is suitable for young and mature skin.
- A huge benefit of using a jade roller is that as a beneficial side effect, jade roller opens up the sinuses. So people who have suffered for years from sinus blockage, report breathing easier after using jade roller face massager.
Using jade face roller massagers
Use the following Chinese jade facial for glowing skin. The jade stone will stimulate ‘chi’ flow and tighten pores. The green tea removes toxins from the skin to prevent acne. The cooling and refreshing jade roller will relax and rejuvenate the skin to make it appear more radiant.
- 2 tsp Chinese green tea
- ½ cup distilled water, boiled
- 1 Jade roller
- Steep the tea in boiled water for an hour.
- Strain and store the tea in a glass bottle with a lid. You can use this ‘toner’ daily but make sure you use it up in a couple of days.
- Take the required quantity of green tea on a sterile cotton ball and apply it all over the face.
- Now roll the jade roller on the skin.
How to use the jade roller
You can place the jade roller in the refrigerator to cool it before use.
- Start rolling the face massager over the forehead. Starting from between your eyebrows, move the roller upwards and outwards towards your temples. Roll each side for 1-2 minutes. Adjust the pressure as per your comfort level.
- Place the roller on the cheek just next to the nostril. Pull the roller outwards, towards the ear. Roll in several times in this direction. Ensure you roll right onto the nasal labial fold to relieve sinus blockage if any.
- Repeat with the other cheek.
- Now move to the neck. Roll the face massager over the neck moving upwards toward the jaw and all the way to the ear lobe in one long stroke. Always roll using upward strokes to life the sagging neck area. Repeat on both sides.
- Move to the eye area and roll it over the crow’s feet approximately 10 times. Turn the roller 90 degrees and roll over in the opposite direction.
- Use the larger stone/roller to sweep across the front of the face. Repeat on both sides of the face.
- For nasal labial folds, use the smaller roller. Roll it back and forth for at least 10-15 times in this area.
- For the area above the lip, use the smaller roller. Roll it back and forth 5-10 times.
Should you use a jade roller before or after moisturization?
Always use the jade roller/face massager after using a serum/eye cream/moisturizing lotion or cream. This way, the roller helps the cream/lotion to penetrate deep into the skin and also encourages the skin to prepare its own natural oils. Jade is naturally very cool to the touch, but you can place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to further cool it down. The cold jade soothes the skin and prevents inflammation.
Popular jade rollers
Kimkoo jade roller with gua sha
This roller comes with a rigged roller, a plain jade stone roller, and gua sha. Regular use of the three can prevent aging, fine lines, dark circles, edema, and improve skin health. You can refrigerate the roller before use. Use it after applying a serum.
- Great set for gifting
- Easy to take while traveling
- Value for money
- Attractive presentation
- Stainless steel handles ensure no-squeaking while rolling. Easy to use.
- Rigged roller pieces tend to fall off after a while.
Truweo jade roller
Truweo jade roller has received hundreds of positive reviews. The product comes with gua sha and specific video instructions on how to use both, the roller and the gua sha.
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Value for money
- The roller isn’t attached to the handle and tends to loosen up or fall off.
A jade roller is a great tool to include in your skincare routine. It cools the skin, improves blood circulation, and reduces puffiness, dark circles, edema, and acne. A jade roller with gua sha exfoliates the skin, removes dead skin cells and also tightens pores. When used with a serum, jade face roller allows for better penetration of the product into the skin. This prevents wrinkles, fine lines, and other aging-related issues. Start using a jade roller and see the difference it makes to your skin!