All of us at some point have gone through several worrying moments regarding hair fall. It is not uncommon to lose hair while combing or showering or even just while running you’re your fingers through your hair. Sometimes your hair fall could be the result of an underlying medical condition in which case you need to talk to your doctor about it but a lot of times it could just be a part of growing older or plain old stress. Despite this, there are still some things that you can do to arrest hair loss naturally. Read on to find out what.
1. Schedule a doctor’s visit:
Like we said before, a lot of times medical conditions like thyroid issues, vitamin deficiencies, anemia, a previous illness or childbirth can cause hair fall. So schedule that doctor’s visit to rule out any of these as well. It is important to make sure that a medical problem is not causing your hair loss. A doctor can test your blood and recommend the right supplements and diets that can stop hair fall.
2. Manage stress:
We know this one will be easier said than done but stress can definitely aggravate your hair loss. Therefore, managing stress is one important hair fall tip. Do what ever it is that will help you de-stress – picking up an old hobby again, exercising or meditating or yoga. Work on eliminating or reducing your stress factors and learn to relax. Try and get at least 45 minutes of exercise 4-5 times a week.
3. Feed your hair right:
Your hair is a very strong indicator of your overall health and your nutrition levels. Make sure you eat all that is good for your hair and drink plenty of water.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are considered to be good for hair growth and reduce hair loss. Salmon, walnuts, sardines and flaxseeds are just a few examples of omega-3 rich foods.
- Zinc deficiency is said to be another contributor of hair fall, so increase your intake of zinc rich foods to stop hair fall. Spinach, nuts, shellfish like oysters and crabs, squash and pumpkin seeds are some of the things you can include in your diet.
- Protein which is a major component of hair is easily available in the form of dairy products, eggs, and lentils. Food like red meat, prunes, liver and egg yolks are rich in iron and these have long been said to stop hair loss.
- Collagen, like protein is needed for hair growth. Up the vitamin C quotient in your diet and in turn the collagen level needed by having colored peppers, kiwis, berries, broccoli and citrus fruits.
- Also drink plenty of water and green tea to keep the body hydrated.
4. Pamper your hair:
Its easy to forget pampering your hair given how crazy and hectic most people’s day to day lives are. But besides feeding your body and hair right, your hair needs some TLC too. Oil massages can greatly benefit you especially when you are trying to stop hair fall. Warm up oils like coconut or olive or almond oils and add a bit of essential oil likes rosemary or lavender or thyme and gently massage into your hair and scalp. Leave the oil on for a couple of hours or so and then shampoo your hair like you regularly do. This will reduce dryness, frizz and not to mention make your hair look shinier and glossier.
5. Juice it up:
This next item may seem like something you may whip up for cooking, but onion juice and garlic juice can be used to stop hair fall. Grind or grate an onion and extract the juice and apply it to your hair, leave on for some time and wash it off. You can add a bit of garlic to the oil you use for massaging. Aloe vera pulp has also been used extensively to promote hair growth.
6. Be good to your hair:
Most hair treatments can be pretty damaging to your hair. Constant coloring, straightening, and hot air while blow drying can be tough on your hair. Besides using the appropriate hair products for your hair, keep hair treatments to a minimum so that your hair has time to recover and recuperate. Try and air dry your hair or use your hair dryer on a lower or cooler setting. Use a wide toothed comb while brushing your wet hair.
Make changes to your diet and include foods that your hair will thank you for. Also, don’t forget to give your hair all the pampering and nurturing it needs, you are sure to succeed in preventing hair loss.