Fibroids are stubborn masses or benign uterine growths that can produce pain or increase menstrual flow. Nearly one third of the women over 35 years of age are known to have fibroids. Often, women have fibroids, but are completely unaware of them since there are no symptoms. In extreme cases though, fibroids or cysts can increase in size and press the bladder leading to increased urination, urine retention, constipation etc. Let us take a look at some remedies to shrink fibroids naturally.
1. Apple cider vinegar
Take organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ACV) daily with a glass of water. You can start with a dosage of 1 tbsp and increase it to 2 tbsp per day. If ACV damages your tooth enamel or causes throat irritation, you can take ACV pills. Go for a dosage of 2 pills of 500 mg per day. Alternatively, mix together ACV (1-2 tbsp) with 1 tsp baking soda in a tall glass of water. Drink the mixture prior to meals for fewer cramps and decreased menstrual flow.
Related: Remedies to stop period pain.
2. Blackstrap molasses
Many women have shrunk fibroid naturally using blackstrap molasses or BSM as it is popularly known. You will experience fewer cramps, reduced menstrual flow along with healthier skin and hair. Just 2 tsp of unsulfured blackstrap molasses can help supply iron and other minerals like calcium which are beneficial for uterine and overall health.
3. Cinnamon oil
This is a traditional American remedy to stop fibroid bleeding. Take 5-10 drops every 15 minutes for up to 4 hours or until bleeding subsides.
4. Green tea
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and can prevent tumors/cancerous growths and fibroid from growing. Drink 1-2 cups a day.
5. Lemon water
To shrink fibroids with lemon water, add juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water. Drink this mixture every few hours to reduce pain and bleeding.
6. Dietary changes
Certain dietary changes can also help shrink fibroids naturally. There are certain foods to avoid when you have fibroids: processed foods, inorganic dairy, red meat, sugar, refined flours etc. Cut these out of the diet. Choose organic food always. Go for whole grains (millet, buckwheat and brown rice-avoid wheat and gluten) instead of refined ones. Avoid food with artificial colors, dyes, preservatives and chemicals. Eat lean meat like mercury-free fish, organic chicken and free range eggs.
- Raw cabbage– Raw cabbage can heal fibroids, breast pain and other menstrual issues. Include plenty of cabbage in your diet. Drink cabbage stews, soups, salads or coleslaw.
- Fruits and vegetables- Eat plenty of fruits and veggies like broccoli, carrots, beets and bitter gourd.
- Maitake mushroom– This superfood reduces the growth of cells including fibroid and cancer cells. Go in for Grifron brand Maitake Mushroom D fraction extract.
- Flaxseed oil- Take flaxseeds and boil it in water. Drink the liquid. Also take capsules of flaxseed or the oil.
- Artichokes– This strengthens and detoxifies the liver.
- Limit or cut your intake of caffeinated beverages and alcohol as both interfere with the liver function..
- Eat a fat-free diet- Because estrogen is produced by body fat, it helps to limit the amount of unhealthy fats in the diet.
There are many fibroid shrinking herbs available in the market in the form of tinctures, teas or pills. Take the standard dosage on the bottle or speak to a herbalist.
- Black cohosh-This powerful herb stops excess bleeding and prevents abdominal cramps and leg pain. Take up to 250-500 mg daily.
- Vitex-This excellent herb slows down growth of fibroids and normalizes hormonal imbalances. However, you must take it for several weeks/months before you see results. To make this ‘fibroid-shrinking’ herb more effective, find a product containing both black cohosh and vitex. This combination has helped many women shrink the cysts. Your symptoms will improve and your cysts or fibroids will reduce in size.
- Siberian Ginseng, nettle and licorice– These are adrenal gland balancing herbs which prevent fibroids and stop them from growing.
- Milk thistle- The detoxifying silymarin compound in milk thistle detoxifies the liver and helps produce antioxidant glutathione that supports estrogen metabolism. Other detoxifying and liver nourishing hers are dandelion root, burdock root, yellow dock etc.
- Raspberry leaf tea-Red raspberry leaf tea is one of the best natural herbal remedy to shrink fibroids. Brew the tea as per instruction and add a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses to it to reduce period pain, heavy flow and other debilitating symptoms.
8. Castor oil packs
Many herbalists recommend adding castor oil packs along with a liver cleansing regime for detoxifying the system and strengthening the uterus. Warm up some castor oil to body temperature. Fold a flannel cloth into 4 layers. Apply this on the abdomen, covering the liver and uterus. Cover the flannel with a plastic wrap. Apply heat over the pack. Remove after 30 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times a day.
9. Lifestyle changes
- Exercise– This will reduce hormonal imbalance and help you get in shape as well. High levels of weight combined with stress increase the chances of cysts and fibroids. Exercise can help reduce both-stress and body fat.
- Avoid the microwave-When we microwave food, we invariably use plastic containers which reduce vitality of the food and also add hormone-mimicking residues in your food.
- Use natural household cleaners and bug sprays– Choose essential oil based cleaners and bug sprays. Avoid chemical based insecticides and pesticides which can disrupt hormones.
- Avoid chemical or estrogen based birth control. Switch to natural contraceptives like diaphragms, condoms, cervical caps or foam.
- Do not use progesterone creams-
10. Relax meditate and visualize
Relaxation, meditation and positive visualizations are the most powerful techniques to counter self-limiting thoughts that block healing. If you find it difficult to meditate, go in for guided meditation, calming music, and binaural beats. Listen to positive affirmations at the start of the day.
Finally, be patient. Many fibroids go away on their own with the onset of menopause. So avoid using any medicines or going in for surgery, unless your doctor thinks it is the only way to cure them. The above herbal remedies will help you manage symptoms.