Before you can prevent heat rash, you will have to have an idea what it is and what causes it. The medical term for heat rash or prickly heat is miliaria which has three types: miliaria crystallina which is the mildest form, miliaria rubra which is common in hot humid weather and often found on those who are bedridden and miliaria profunda which is a complication of miliaria rubra but happens rarely.
Heat rash does not affect babies or children only. It develops when skin pores become blocked with dirt or other causes and sweat is trapped inside the skin. Because of this, superficial blisters, rashes or red lumps appear on the skin and become uncomfortable when they start to itch and cause prickling sensation that is irritating.
Sometimes you need not do anything and the rash goes away on its own but there are cases when they become severe and lead to further problems.
Protect Yourself and Prevent Heat Rash
- Hot humid weather is the number one reason people develop heat rash. If you know you are prone to developing it, try as much to avoid staying in such conditions and stay in cooler, possibly air-conditioned areas.
- If you must attend to chores that need to be done outside like gardening, do so during the coolest time of the day like in the early morning or late afternoon.
- For health buffs who frequently exercise but tend to develop heat rash, do your work out in exercise areas with air conditioners and if possible in the morning or in the evening.
- Summer months when the temperature becomes hotter are inevitable but you can still prevent heat rash during this time by bathing or showering at least two times a day. Doing this will help free your sweat glands when skin is clean and fresh, allowing it to breathe easy.
- Avoid irritating your sweat glands by wearing comfortable loose clothes made of light, cool fabrics. Also, quickly change to fresh clothes once your clothes become soaked in sweat so that you don’t promote growth of heat rash.
- If you already have heat rash, don’t cause added irritation to your skin by applying creams or lotions. These products can block your pores further and make the condition worse.
- Keep yourself properly hydrated. Drink lots of fluids, particularly water to constantly cool your skin especially when rashes are already there. You may also apply mild, unscented powder to the skin to minimize the discomforts brought about by the condition.
Avoiding Heat Rash in the Future
It can be such a nuisance to suffer from this skin condition so do your best to prevent heat rash and never bear with it again. Keep your place well ventilated at all times. Before the approach of summer where you know you are likely to develop prickly heat, find ways to acclimatized in preparation for the hot season. This is also the time when using sunscreen preferably with high SPF and wearing wide-brim hats are highly recommended.
Prickly heat or heat rash is not a serious condition to some but to those who are susceptible, the solutions may not come easy. Still, with proper care and following the steps mentioned above, you can beat and avoid it so you never have to suffer from it again.