Malaria is not as deadly a disease as it was once thought to be. That said; it can cause very high fever, shivering, joint aches and fatigue. The symptoms of malaria also last for months leading to debilitating pain and compromise in quality of life. If you live in an area full of mosquitoes, it is best to use preventive measures to protect yourself from the disease. Travelers going to economically backward countries or treks/hikes in areas with dense vegetation must consider natural anti-malarial drugs for prevention. Let us study some natural ways to recover fast from this disease.
1. Willow Bark
Native Americans were full of wisdom and they always sought help from Mother Nature to cure all kinds of health issues. Willow bark is one such native remedy which they used to for treating high fever and other symptoms of malaria.
2. Holy basil
This is a traditional Ayurvedic remedy for this disease. Chew the leaves of holy basil mixed with a bit of cayenne pepper or black peppercorns. You must take this remedy at least 3-4 times a day for 4-5 days until the shivering and fever go away completely. Also drink the juice of basil leaves mixed with a bit of honey to stop shivering and bodyaches. A decoction or tea made from basil leaves and mixed with cardamom and ginger can also prevent and cure malaria.
3. Neem infusion
The bitter extracts or infusion of neem tree are beneficial in treating malaria.
Application of crushed garlic juice on the fingernails and drinking crushed garlic juice in water 3-4 times a day can cure high fever caused by this disease.
In Nigeria, ginger is used for treating this ailment. Here are different ways in which to cure malaria:
- Ginger tea– Boil ginger pieces in water for 5-7 minutes. Strain and add some honey. Drink this hot brew 2-3 times a day.
- Candied ginger-Boil ginger pieces in water for 30 minutes. Drain away excess water. Measure ginger weight and add equal quantity of sugar. Return the mixture to heat and add 1-2 tbsp of water. Boil the mixture until water completely evaporates. Reduce heat. Cool the ginger pieces and add granulated sugar on top to coat the ginger pieces completely. Store the candied ginger in airtight container for 3 months. Eat this everyday when suffering from malaria.
6. Papaya seeds and juice
Rinse and dry pawpaw papaya seeds in the sun. Eat a handful of these daily. Also crush papaya leaves and drink its juice mixed with water and honey. This remedy prevents joint aches and reduces high fever. Pregnant ladies must not use this remedy as papaya can cause miscarriage in early pregnancy.
7. Home remedy for malaria and typhoid
Drink this tea for preventing and curing high fever caused by malaria and typhoid:
- Boil pineapple rinds, ginger root and citronella in water. Drink this tea several times a day.
The bromelain in pineapple protects the body from infections whereas ginger provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
8. Other herbs to cure malaria
According to Hoosier’s remedies, following herbs are very effective in treating malaria
- Dogwood bark also known as cornus florida
- Roots of ironweed- take the extract or make a tea from the roots
- Queen of the meadow or eupatorium purpureum
- Sabatia angularis
- Wormwood or Artemisia is being investigated for its infection-fighting properties.
Malaria symptoms can significantly impact the quality of life. Use the above 8 remedies to prevent, cure and heal quickly from this disease.