Bones are living tissues and, sometimes, due to age, ph imbalance, weak bone structure or physical activity, they can develop spurs. Bone spurs are dead calcium deposits (also called osteophytes or stones). Typical areas where spurs occur are the heel, neck, fingers etc. Kidney stones are also types of spurs. Conventional treatment for bone spurs is surgery which is painful and risky. Thankfully you can make bone spur disappear using natural remedies. Let us study these ways to break them up:
1. Maintain proper acid-alkali balance
This is the most important step to prevent and break up bone spurs. Today, our diets are highly acidic which results in weak bone structures. At the same time, too much alkalinity can prevent calcium absorption. So an acid-alkali balance is a must. To begin with, avoid the standard American diet that comprises of sugary foods. Almost all packaged foods contain high fructose corn syrup and other artificial sweeteners. To ensure proper acid-alkali balance, eat a natural raw an organic diet with fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, whole grains and lean protein.
2. Drink plenty of water
Water is very important to prevent calcification and flush out kidneys stones which are also one type of spurs. So stay hydrated by drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day.
3. Avoid activities that increase risk of spurs
Many activities like pitching, carpentry, dancing etc can lead to bone spurs in the heels and shoulders. While one cannot avoid these, one can try to limit risk by taking proper precautions. Change your position from time to time and take frequent breaks.
4. Avoid heels
Fashion can sometimes be a major risk for bone spurs on the heels (plantar fasciitis). Avoid wearing tight fitting shoes, heels etc. Often, people develop spurs but it takes them years to notice. And once they become really painful, you’d want them gone fast. To prevent bone spurs on feet, wear comfortable shoes always. You can read our article on plantar fasciitis here to learn more about remedies for bone spurs on the heels.
Many supplements are known to prevent bone spurs.
- Ammonium chloride– this is a component of our digestive juices in the stomach. It helps the body maintain ph balance and also supports normal bone growth cycle.
- Calcium chloride or calcium phosphate-Both these are calcium types that are used by bones and teeth to stay strong. They also keep the bone absorption process running smoothly.
- Betaine HCL– Betaine hydrochloric acid prevents calcium crystals from forming in the weak areas of the body that are susceptible to spur formation. It also maintains acid-alkali balance.
- Vitamin C– Not only does this anti-oxidant boost immunity; it is also a collagen builder. Vitamin C also fights oxidative stress that hinders joint repair.
- Magnesium glycerophosphate– For dissolving bone spurs, Magnesium is one of the most important minerals. Today, our soil is depleted of this nutrient which is why so many people are deficient in it. Magnesium assists the calcium in building bones and also relieves pain. 25 to 50 mg of magnesium daily can surely prevent spurs and kidney stones.
- Vitamin B6– Take vitamin B6 in the form of P-5-P. This vitamin plays an important role in calcium absorption along with magnesium.
- Omega 3 essential fatty acid supplements– Take these to prevent inflammation and pain.
Most of the above supplements can keep calcium more fluid and prevent it from forming clumps that cause bone spurs.
6. Epsom salt baths
Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate salts. Add them to bath water so that the skin absorbs magnesium. You can also make a poultice with them. Try a foot soak with Epsom salts to relieve pain caused by heel spurs.
7. Hot cold foot soak
To relieve painful bone spurs on the feet, go for alternate hot and cold foot baths. This remedy can reduce pain and give you good rest at night.
8. Curcumin extracts
Curcumin is anti-inflammatory and many herbalists prescribe this as a remedy to alleviate bone spur pain. On an empty stomach, take 400 mg of curcumin 3 times a day. Take this remedy daily for 6 weeks.
9. Flaxseed hot pack
Roast some flaxseeds and fill them up inside an old sock. Use the warm compress on the bone spur to stop pain.
10. Borax solution
Soaking your feet in borax solution (made with warm water and borax) can also help with heel pain and swelling.
11. Apple cider vinegar
This is known to be anti-inflammatory. Use this heel spur treatment with apple cider vinegar both internally and topically to prevent pain. For topical use, soak a towel in the vinegar and apply it to the aching region.
12. Oil and Aloe Vera gel
Massage the bone spurs with a mixture of warm olive oil and Aloe Vera extracts in equal ratio. The oil will penetrate deep inside the heel/shoulder/neck and prevent further damage to the area. It will also provide pain relief.
13. Alfalfa tea
Herbal teas are very beneficial in getting rid of bone spur pain naturally. Drink tea made by steeping crushed leaves of alfalfa in hot water. This remedy fights inflammation and pain and also prevents new growths.
14. Blackstrap molasses, baking soda and apple cider vinegar
Drink a mixture of these three ingredients to fight inflammation and restore ph balance. First take a glass of warm water and add 1 tbsp organic, raw apple cider vinegar. Next, add ¼ tsp baking soda. The mixture will bubble a bit. Now add 1 tsp of blackstrap molasses (preferably organic). Drink this mixture daily. You can also add a dash of lemon juice to it to detoxify the liver and kidneys.
15. Ginger capsules
Take Ginger extracts of 500 mg three to four times a day. This remedy is anti-inflammatory. While it won’t make bone spurs go away on their own, it can prevent new ones.
Try these 15 remedies to dissolve bone spurs and prevent new ones.