The best way to get rid of body odor permanently is to get rid of the bacteria causing the odor in the first place. Body odor occurs due to the eccrine glands (or sweat glands) that are present in the armpits. The best way to tackle body odor or B.O is to keep these areas dry and prevent excess sweating. Here are some remedies to help you get rid of underarm odor and wetness without using commercial deodorants:
1. Simplify your diet
Consume more plant based foods than animal proteins. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables , dark leafy greens, soy, whole grains and raw nuts which have natural enzymes and fiber to reduce B.O. Eat plenty of fresh fruits like papaya and pineapple which, according to TCM or Traditional Chinese Medicine, can aid digestion to reduce body odor in men and women. Avoid foods like cumin, garlic, alcohol and caffeine as well as hot and spicy foods which turn the sweat malodorous.
2. Check your Zinc levels
Sometimes, inadequate zinc in the body can be a trigger for body odor. Try to supplement with 15 mg of zinc a day. Also take copper since zinc and copper help balance each other. 1-2 mg of copper and 15 mg of zinc per day should help you get rid of sweating and body odor.
3. Drink Apple cider vinegar daily
Drinking a tablespoon of organic ACV with some honey for a week is one of the best remedies to get rid of body odor permanently.
4. Get rid of bacteria causing the odor
B.O results from the bacteria breaking down sweat proteins into acids. These bacteria usually live in armpits, buttocks, groin, and folds of the skin. Pay special attention to these areas during bath time. Use an antiperspirant soap or body wash to eliminate these microbes. You can bathe several times a day if you are prone to sweating. Add some essential oils or a cupful of Epsom salts to the tub bath to help you smell great all day.
5. Herbal remedies for body odor
Drink a tea made with Barberry, Nettle and Yellow dock. A cup of this tea three times can eliminate underarm wetness and resultant body odor. Also take grapefruit extract to reduce perspiration. 3 drops of grapefruit extract can reuce sweat and bacteria that cause the B.O.
6. Avoid harsh cosmetics
Heavy creams and lotions clog the skin’s pores trapping the sweat underneath. Avoid using harsh antibacterial soaps. Milder soaps are as effective in reducing B.O as these harsher products which tend to over-dry the skin and also strip it off its natural oils. Pay attention to general hygiene but always choose water based, hypoallergenic products.
7. Homeopathic remedies for B.O
Homeopathic remedies for getting rid of body odor permanently may be taken based on exact medical history and other symptoms. Your homeopath will consider all of your symptoms like stress-related sweating, tendency to get nervous in certain situations and so on before prescribing a remedy. Sulfur 30 X or 15 C is generally given for excess sweating; you can take it three times a day for up to 4 days to reduce the garlicky odor of sweat.
Acupressure is a natural treatment for B.O. Liver 3 and spleen 10 points are known to detoxify the blood and eliminate root cause of sweating.
9. Essential oils for treating body odor
Aromatherapy is one of the best herbal remedies to get rid of body odor. Essential oils of lavender, chamomile, cypress and geranium can be added to bath water to detoxify the body and smell great all day. Drink peppermint tea to get rid of bad breath.
Related content: Remedies to get rid of bad breath.
10. To get rid of body odor from clothes
- Wash clothes in hot water and do not repeat wearing unwashed clothes. You can use mild bleach or soak them in baking soda and vinegar solution. This will also help reduce sweat stains from clothes.
- If you are prone to sweating, wear breathable, moisture wicking fabrics in summers. In winters, dress in layers rather than wearing one heavy jacket. This way, you can reduce layers in case you find yourself sweating heavily in hot environments.
- Do not forget to change your socks which can also contribute to body odor.
11. Use natural deodorant
- Instead of applying carcinogenic deodorants which clog up the skin’s pores, apply some coconut oil mixed with essential oils to the underarm area.
- Alternatively, wipe your armpits with white vinegar to get rid of sweaty smell. Apple cider vinegar can also be used to prevent odor in armpits and groin.
- You can also use baking soda in these regions to absorb sweat.
- Sprinkle baby powder or corn starch powder in the folds of the skin to absorb sweat.
Related Content: DIY Homemade Natural Deodorant Recipes
12. Tomato juice
Tomato juice is a natural cleanser and astringent. Prepare a bath with 4 cups of tomato juice and soak in it for 20 minutes.
13. Clean your feet
Many people have smelly feet which contribute to body odor.
- Wash your feet in hot water and baking soda and use a pumice stone to scrub away dead skin. Do this every day.
- Also change your socks and wash all used pairs in hot water.
- Sprinkle baking soda or cornstarch in the socks to absorb sweat.
- Avoid wearing closed shoes for long periods. Select open toed shoes instead. Wash your trainers and sports shoes regularly. Never wear the same pair for more than two days continuously; instead choose another pair to let the previous one dry.
- Where possible, go barefoot.
14. Shave or wax armpits regularly
Hairy armpits and groins can contribute to body odor by trapping sweat. Shaving or waxing frequently can prevent this and reduce BO.
15. Potato slices
Apply some raw potato juice or place thin slices of potato on the armpits to absorb sweat. Wipe off after 5 minutes then sprinkle talcum powder on the skin to eliminate body odor instantly.
16. Lemon juice
Apply lemon juice on your armpits after drying post-shower. This is a great remedy to get rid of body odor without deodorant.
17. Use alcohol
Wipe your armpits with rubbing alcohol to eliminate sweat odor.
18. Drink plenty of fluids
Drink plenty of water to internally cleanse your system. Try to get in at least 8-10 glasses of water every day. Also drink herbal teas without caffeine. Peppermint tea can help you get rid of bad breath. Go for daily consumption of tomato juice- 2 glasses of tomato juice is a perfect home remedy to permanently eliminate body odor.
19. Quit smoking
Nicotine tends to give you a permanent foul odor that clings to your hair and body. Quitting smoking is the best remedy to eliminate bad breath and body odor.
20. Eliminate stress, anger and excitement
These emotions can lead to sweating. Practice some positive visualization and meditate daily to eliminate emotional upheaval.
In some cases, the body starts smelling of food consumed. This is a sign of serious illness. For example, diabetics develop ketoacidosis which causes a sweetish body odor due to accumulation of ketones in the blood. Also, a rare disorder called Trimethylaminuria can cause a fish-like B.O. It is important to get these conditions under control in order to get rid of body odor permanently.