Seasonal flu and colds often bring along fatigue, headaches and body aches. Conventional medicines like Ibuprofen and acetaminophen give relief from these aches and pains but they do not treat the infection. Also, long term use of such medications could give rise to kidney and liver issues. There are many natural home remedies that can cure body ache when sick quickly. Here are the top ones:
1. Epsom salts
Soak in a hot bath to which you have added half a cup of Epsom salts. The salts contain magnesium sulfate and they restore magnesium in the body through the skin thereby relaxing muscles and stopping aches and pains. Soak in the bath for at least 20 minutes. You can also add powdered Ginger to the hot bath as Ginger has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that soothe body ache quickly.
2. Warm oil massage
Self massage (or massage done by your partner or a professional) is one of the best home remedies to stop body ache. Use any massage oil like baby oil, coconut oil, olive oil or Jojoba oil for rubbing into the painful areas. You can also warm up the oil before use to make it more effective. Add a few drops of essential oils into the aforementioned carrier oils to make the remedy even more potent. Following essential oils are known to have analgesic and anti-inflammatory action:
- John’s Wort
- Tea tree
Add any of the above oils to the room diffuser and relax. These oils have a mood enhancing effect and they also act as a tonic for the nerves to stop pain and inflammation quickly.
4. Herbal teas
Many herbal teas and tinctures can stop body aches when sick. Here are few:
- Ginger: Steep grated ginger in hot water for 5 minutes. Add honey and lemon juice in case you have a sore throat. Drink the mixture 3-4 times a day to strengthen immunity and provide an analgesic action.
- Turmeric– Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a cup of warm water or milk. Sweeten with honey. Drink the mixture before bedtime for a wonderful healing rest.
- Yarrow, peppermint and ginger with turmeric- Make an antiseptic healing tea with these powders/herbs/tinctures. Drink 4 cups a day to stop body ache when sick.
When you are sick, your body needs extra rest to heal. So avoid any strenuous activity or exercise. Try and sleep as much as you can. Go for a full body massage or steam and sauna therapy.
Meditation can actually improve immunity, according to a research conducted by scientists. So sit down quietly with your eyes closed and try to quiet the mind. Give the mind an easy activity to do: focus on the breath. Breathe in and breathe out-do this twice a day- for 10 minutes each, longer if possible. Meditating when you are sick encourages the body to heal faster. You can also perform meditative body movements linked to the breath such as Qigong, Yoga or T’ai Chi to boost immunity and stop body aches.
7. Moderate exercise and stretches
You can prevent body ache in sickness by indulging in moderate exercises like stretching. Stretches keep your muscles flexible and mild to moderate exercise helps release endorphins and feel-good hormones to stop body aches quickly. Here is a pain relieving stretch sequence:
- Stand with your arms stretched above your head. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart. Now inhaling, bend to the right. Hold the breath for 5 seconds. Come back to original position. Repeat to the other side. Do this at least 4-5 times.
8. Homeopathic remedies for body aches
Following homeopathic remedies can be used to alleviate body aches:
- Rhus Tox– This is prescribed to patients having body pain that worsens when lying down. It is an ideal remedy for body ache accompanied by stiff muscles.
- Arnica Montana-This remedy is recommended for body ache which feels as if one has been beaten up. It is a highly effective remedy for body pain following surgery.
- Bryonia Alba– This is a natural body-ache home remedy when the joints and muscles are very sore.
- Magnesium Phosphorica– This is prescribed for shooting, cutting and sharp spasmodic pain.
- Causticum and Colchicum Autumnale are also prescribed for body aches due to sickness, arthritis etc.
9. DIY Homemade muscle relaxing salve recipe
Here is a homemade salve recipe to apply to aching joints and muscles:
- 1 tbsp each of dried thyme leaves and rosemary leaves
- 2 tbsp crushed, dried juniper berries
- 1 tsp dried ginger root
- 200 ml grapeseed oil
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 4-6 drops of rosemary oil
Infuse the thyme, ginger, rosemary and juniper berries in grape-seed oil. Warm the oil slowly for a few minutes, then turn off the heat and allow the herbs to steep in the mixture overnight. Next, strain the infused oil and mix with coconut and rosemary essential oils. Store the salve in a glass jar. Apply to aching muscles or joints.
We hope these home remedies help cure body ache quickly when you are feeling sick.