Commercial deodorants contain many toxic elements and chemicals. Some of these toxins are even linked to breast cancer. Aluminum based compounds found in deodorants are absorbed by the skin where they produce estrogen-like hormonal effects. So, it is best to use natural organic deodorants containing organic ingredients. Many commercially available organic deodorants are quite expensive. You can save a ton of money by making your own DIY homemade deodorant recipe. You can make a huge batch of these natural deodorants for daily use. All of these homemade natural deodorant recipes discussed below contain easily available ingredients. Not only are these recipes cost effective and easy to prepare; they will also leave you smelling fantastic! Here are 6 natural homemade deodorant spray and roll-on recipes.
1. DIY deodorant recipe with coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut oil- use organic, virgin oil
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch powder
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 ½ tbsp sweet almond oil
- ¼ tsp of 5-8 drops of essential oil of your choice (lavender, rose etc)
- Over low heat, melt coconut oil in a small saucepan.
- Once melted, whisk in the arrowroot powder and baking soda.
- The powders should dissolve completely.
- Turn off the heat add the essential oil and almond oil.
- Cool the mixture. Transfer it into a clean glass bottle.
The deodorant will harden once cooled. You could refrigerate the deodorant or leave it at room temperature. In summers, it is best to store the mixture in the refrigerator otherwise it will crumble and fall apart.
This recipe yields about ½ cup of deodorant. Your skin will need to adjust to the PH of the formula and some people tend to experience some sweating and tingling when using this formula. Apply just a small amount in the armpits to avoid staining clothes. (You could let the layer of deodorant dry completely before wearing your clothes.) This gentle diy deodorant recipe neutralizes the smell of sweat by killing the bacteria and metabolizing fatty acids and proteins that are naturally present in sweat.
2. How to make homemade deodorant spray
- 1-2 ounces of Vodka or gin
- 1-2 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1-2 drops of thyme essential oil
- Fill up a small spray bottle with above ingredients. Spray once or twice in each armpit to smell great all day!
3. DIY homemade deodorant spray with vinegar
- 1-2 ounces of water and vinegar each
- 3-4 drops of patchouli essential oil
- 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
Mix all ingredients in a small spray bottle. The smell of vinegar will evaporate quickly and you will smell great thanks to the fragrant essential oils in this simple natural deodorant recipe.
4. DIY homemade deodorant spray with witch hazel
- 2-3 oz of witch hazel
- 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- 5 drops of tincture of Benzoin
- 2 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 tsp vodka
- Mix ingredients in a spray bottle.
- Store in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight.
5. Herbal stick deodorant without baking soda
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp organic beeswax
- ¼ tsp each of tea tree essential oil and rosemary essential oil
- ¼ tsp lavender essential oil (optional)
- Stick type applicator
- Combine the beeswax and oil over a water bath. Heat the water gently so the wax starts to melt and infuse into the oil. Take off heat and add the essential oils. If you desire a sweeter scent, add the lavender oil.
- Ensure that the applicator is clean and dry before storing in the mixture.
- This is a wonderful natural deodorant recipe with beeswax.
6. Natural deodorant talcum powder recipe with cornstarch and baking soda
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- Ground rosemary, sage or thyme
- Combine soda and starch powders in a glass bottle. Shake it to mix well.
- Add the ground spices.
- Apply with powder puff.
If you are passionate about making homemade organic cosmetics, then we are sure these 6 easy and natural DIY homemade deodorant recipes will be to your liking. We hope you enjoy them!