Hair straightening is not just a fad and for many people having ethnic, kinky or curly hair, keeping it soft and manageable is a herculean task. Stubborn tangles every morning, and the bushy, dry look all day calls for desperate measures to keep it under control. However, one must not jump straight to the treatments offered by salons or buy commercial products in a hurry. Most commercial hair straightening products, unlike hair straightening treatment at home, rely heavily on heat (straightening irons et al) and use several pungent smelling chemicals. Exposure to these chemicals and heat harms the hair in the long run. Not only that, the pungent chemicals also upset the digestive system if inhaled for long periods. They also cause congestion in the lungs and some people could even be allergic to ingredients used in commercial/chemical hair straightening masks and sprays. Instead we recommend using DIY hair straightening spray and packs that are natural and safe. Let us discuss some DIY homemade hair straightener masks that work!
1. DYI hair straightening cream with olive oil
- A good way to naturally soften and straighten hair is to make a DIY homemade hair straightener cream that both lasts longer and costs less compared to commercial products.
- Mix 50 ml of olive oil or virgin coconut oil with half the quantity of good quality Shea butter. To this emulsion, add 25 ml aloe vera gel (Buy the gel from a pharmacy. Freshly procured gel doesn’t keep). Mix well and blend all three ingredients. Now, store this in a clean airtight jar.
- Depending on the length of your hair, this cream may be used 5 to 10 times and will keep well for about 2 months.
- Apply the DIY hair straightening cream first over your scalp. The aloe vera helps moisturize the scalp and keeps it healthy and clean. Then proceed to apply it all over your hair covering the entire length gently pressing sections of hair between your palms.
- Let the cream work its magic for 30 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo. Use a good conditioner after shampoo to enhance the effects of your DIY hair straightening cream. Use it every week for sustainable results.
- Hair straightening treatment at home is not only safe but also gives good results with less than half the cost.
2. DIY hair straightening mask with yogurt
- A quick acting hair straightening treatment home remedy for straight hair is a DIY hair straightening mask.
- It can be used when you are in a hurry to get ready for a party or your hair is extremely dry and tangled.
- Take 2 tablespoons of yogurt and ½ a tablespoon honey. Add ½ a tablespoon flaxseeds powder and 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel. You can use aloe vera gel procured directly from the plant in this case.
- Mix all together with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and apply to your scalp and generously throughout your hair covering every section of your hair.
- Wrap a warm wet towel over your head and hair and leave this DIY hair straightening mask for half an hour. Rinse with lukewarm water and a mild shampoo. You can use a leave in conditioner or your regular conditioner after the wash.
- The yogurt and honey intensely moisturize your hair while the aloe vera gel acts both as a moisturizer and straightener.
- Coconut oil moisturizes your scalp and hair and strengthens hair from the roots.
- Even if you are not in a hurry to straighten your hair fast, this DIY hair straightening mask is a great tool under your belt.
3. DIY hair straightening spray
- Even if you have no patience with DIY hair straightening cream, DIY hair straightening mask or any such hair straightening treatment home remedy, it is always a good idea to protect your hair against the excess heat of the straightening iron.
- Make your own DIY hair straightening spray from easily available ingredients instead of spending a bomb on commercial products.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of virgin coconut oil or olive oil and a little hair conditioner. Mix them well and slowly add about a cup of water. Now, pour this mixture in a spray bottle and spritz all over your hair like they do in the salon. Wet your hair just enough to protect from heat.
- This DIY hair straightening spray can also be used to comb your hair quickly when you are in a hurry to step out.
4. DIY hair straightening serum
- A DIY hair straightening serum is very handy, and easy to use and store for hair straightening treatment at home.
- A beauty serum by definition is a liquid that is rapidly absorbed into deeper layers of skin/hair and acts continuously and quickly.
- You can basically use any oil like coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil over your scalp and hair. It is best to use this hair straightening treatment home remedy at night and wash off the next morning using a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Mix required amount of oil with one drop of peppermint oil for oily hair and apply at night. If you have dry hair and scalp, replace peppermint oil with lavender oil. Et viola, your DIY hair straightening serum is ready to use.
5. Tips for using any DIY hair straightening home remedy
- When you use any hair straightening treatment home remedy like a DIY serum or cream, make sure you don’t use hot water for shower.
- Hot water is known to dry hair out and results in excess tangles. Use lukewarm water and always use a mild shampoo.
- If you have very dry hair, avoid excess lemon on your scalp.
- Before using any remedies available online, check with a knowledgeable hair stylist what type of hair you have and what ingredients suite you best.
- While preparing any of the creams and masks mentioned above, you can use a couple of drops of your favorite essential oils to give an aromatic effect. But choose the essential oils carefully for they also have properties that effect hair, drying it or moisturizing it excessively.
We hope these DIY hair straightening treatments help you!