Many mothers have effectively use Desitin® for baby heat rash symptoms. Desitin® is available in three different forms, namely: Zinc Oxide diaper rash cream Rapid relief, Maximum Strength original Desitin® Zinc Oxide paste and Desitin Multipurpose skin protectant diaper rash ointment. All three products are safe for use in heat rash in babies as well as in adults. Today, I will be reviewing this generation-old brand and also give you important tips for dealing with baby heat rash.
Baby skin rashes
Baby skin rashes are common, annoying conditions that tend to make the baby as well as parents miserable. Every new parent must therefore keep Desitin® multipurpose skin ointment on hand to deal with all kinds of rashes. Nearly 7 to 15 percent of babies are estimated to develop some form of skin rash by their first year. Many babies are known to develop heat rashes in summers and also in winters when zealous parents wrap their bundles of joy tightly in blankets and sweaters. Desitin® is a product trusted by parents as well as dermatologists to soothe the skin and heal all kinds of rashes.
Different types of rashes in babies and adults
Even babies up to 1 year can develop many kinds of skin rashes which may not always be diaper or heat rash. Here are some common skin afflictions in babies and adults:
- Dermatitis– This is an allergic rash. It is caused when the skin comes in contact with an irritant or allergen found in detergents, soaps, creams etc. Symptoms include red, angry rash with pus-filled pustules or boils. The rash is seen on buttocks, abdomen, hands, knees, legs and sometimes even on the face. You can apply Desitin® on the rash to get rid of it quickly. Make sure you wash all clothes in hypoallergenic detergents.
- Yeast infection– This is characterized by dark red rash with or without raised yellow, pus filled boils which rupture and ooze.
- Seborrhea– This is mainly seen on the scalp area (cradle cap) but may be sometimes present on the face, thighs, hands, armpits and folds of the skin. It is characterized by patches of red or yellow skin.
- Scabies– This is extremely itchy. It is caused by mites burrowed deep in the skin. You might notice red, raised areas on the skin. Scabies is contagious so you must clean the environment and wash all infected surfaces with bleach.
- Psoriasis– Red, silvery patches on skin is an indication of psoriasis.
Other common rashes are atopic dermatitis, allergic reaction, bacterial rash etc. Desitin® is ideal for use on most rashes and can even be used by adults for treating them.
Can you use Desitin® on baby heat rash?
Naturally every parent wants the child’s heat rash and diaper rash symptoms to go away quickly so their baby gets much needed relief from the itching, burning and pain. Some of the common signs and symptoms of heat rash in babies are:
- Red, or transparent rash in the form of pustules and pimples.
- The rash may be present in the elbows, folds of the skin in the belly or groin region, thighs, buttocks etc. Some babies also develop heat rash on the face.
- Baby with heat rash can be irritable, cranky and may scratch the rash. This could lead to secondary skin infections.
At the first sign of heat rash, apply Desitin® all over the rash. If the rash is present on the baby’s face, you can use Desitin® on it, but do avoid the eyes and mouth region.
Reviews about Desitin®
Desitin® is a soothing formula which helps treat diaper as well as heat rashes on baby as well as adult skin. It protects chaffed, dry, oozing, red and swollen skin and prevents secondary infections. From the first use, you will experience much needed relief. The creamy formula forms a protective barrier on the skin and provides much needed moisture and emollient to the inflamed skin. The best part about using Desitin® is that it is dermatologically tested and hypoallergenic.
Here are some wonderful reviews about Desitin®:
“My mother, grandmother and even my great-grandmother have all used Desitin® for all kinds of rashes in babies and adults. I consider it to be the expert when it comes to baby care.”- Karissa
“Not just babies, even adults can benefit from Desitin®. I work in construction and outdoor labor in summers is harsh. Try going to the porta-potty in summers-it is terrible. I keep Desitin® with me always and especially in summers!”- Bob
“Finally something that works! My 3 week baby girl had heat rashes and this gave her much needed relief’!- Mrs. S
“I am a new first time mum and because of my mistake, my baby developed rash. Nothing was helping, so I googled and came upon this product. I ordered it immediately andwhat a miracle! The rash and pain was gone in an hour. I am soooo happy with it!” Nee Monteca
How to make heat rash go away fast?
The best ways to make heat rashes go away fast are:
- Keep the baby cool.
- Bathe it in warm water in summer. Dry the baby and dress it up in loose, comfortable cotton clothes. If the baby has rash in its diaper area, apply Desitin® and let the baby go without wearing a diaper. If needed, use a cotton nappy to cover the baby.
- In winters, avoid wrapping it in blankets and sweaters tightly.
- Trim baby’s nails carefully to prevent secondary skin infections caused by scratching.
- Run a fan on low speed to keep air circulating around the baby’s cot/crib.
- Avoid taking your baby outside in summers during the peak sunny hours between 11 am and 4 pm.
- Keep the baby well-hydrated. Continue nursing the baby as usual.
Apply Desitin® round the clock on the rash. This will keep the skin protected and prevent new rashes.
Dos and Don’ts for baby heat rashes
- Do not use baby powder when baby is suffering from a diaper rash or heat rash.
- Many parents also use cornstarch for heat rash on baby. Do avoid this as cornstarch tends to clog pores.
- Do use baking soda bath for heat rash in baby and adults. Baking soda soothes the rash and reduces irritation, swelling and redness.
I hope this short review about Desitin® for baby heat rash helps you.