Bipolar depression is a mental disorder known to affect hundreds of thousands of men and women around the world. Symptoms of bipolar depression include mood swings, extreme feelings of sadness, and periods of manic highs followed by severe lows. Today we will study some natural ways to deal with bipolar disorder naturally without medicines.
1. Supplements to control bipolar disorder naturally
Many supplements can be effectively used as the first line of treatment for bipolar depression symptoms. The main ones are
- Choline –Choline is a natural constituent of the brain and deficiency of it can cause dementia, mood swings, cognitive issues and even strokes. Foods naturally high in choline are eggs, salmon, beef, chickpeas and turkey. You can even take supplements with choline-the upper limit is up to 3000 mg per day.
- Chromium– Deficiency of chromium can lead to excess hunger, sugar cravings and depression. Take no more than 1000 mg per day as it can worsen insulin sensitivity. Food rich in chromium includes seafood, chicken, whole grains, dairy products etc.
- Folate and other B vitamins –All B vitamins neuroprotective and can prevent depression and mood swings. Niacin is esepcially important. Take at least 300 mg of it per day.
- Fish oil or Omega 3 essential oil fatty acids-This supplement is necessary for healthy functioning of the brain and can help with cognitive function. You can read more about the study on Omega 3 essential fatty acids and bipolar symptoms. Take fish oil with selenium and Vitamin E for best results.
- 5 HTP and Tryptophan-This is an amino acid which is precursor of serotonin. In the late 1980s tryptophan was used for treating depression but was later discontinued. Studies have shown that 5-HTP can help with anxiety and chronic aches and pains associated with poor mental health. It is currently used in treating fibromyalgia, ataxia, headaches, insomnia and binge eating associated with obesity. Safe dose for pain and anxiety is 150 mg to 300 g per day. Other amino acids for bipolarity are GABA and Acetyl L-Carnitine. The latter helps with mood swings, depression and anxiety. Take up to 50 mg of carnitine per day to control bipolar symptoms.
2. S-adenosyl-L-methionine or SAMe
SAMe has been approved as a drug for depression in many European countries for over 3 decades. This is a naturally occurring chemical present in each cell of the body. Recent studies have shown that it can counter dementia and may even be effective for ADHD. One researcher has even called SAMe as the first line of alternative treatment for mild to moderate depression.
This is an important supplement for cognitive function and is also neuro protective. Take 120 mg per day in divided doses.
This herb can prevent manic depression and bipolar symptoms, so take at least 150 mg per day. It can help with decreased motivation and lower libido, low concentration and daytime fatigue as well as irritability, stress and forgetfulness. Consult your doctor before taking this herb as it may interact with other psychotropic drugs.
Take this herb for sleep issues as it has strong sedative properties. Valerian may not directly help control bipolar disorder but it can help you sleep better and keep you calm and energetic during the day.
6. St.John’s Wort
This homeopathic/herbal remedy can calm the nerves and prevents mood swings. Studies have shown that it can alleviate mild to moderate depression. Do not take it without consulting your doctor first as it can make other anti-depressants less effective.
Kava Kava is a calming and rejuvenating herb. It is available in the form of tea beneficial for treating bipolar, insomnia, anxiety, tension and stress.
8. Cold showers
Cold showers invigorate the spirit and give you energy. They improve blood circulation and lighten the mood. People with Bipolar depression must take cold showers.
Excess toxins from the environment can lead to symptoms of depression. Detox regularly and follow a healthy balanced diet.
Counseling, talk therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, hypnosis and family therapy are some proven natural ways to deal with bipolar depression without medication.
11. Lifestyle changes
Exercise combined with healthy diet can help you get your symptoms of bipolar disorder in control. Have a fixed morning and evening schedule and focus on your tasks to stay organized. Do not take yourself too seriously. Relax and surround yourself with positive people who uplift you. Cut gluten and wheat from the diet as many people have experienced good results with these simple changes.
12. Meditation and yogic breathing
Just because a remedy is herbal or natural does not mean it is safe. Be cautious before taking any herbal remedy for depression. Talk to an herbalist or your regular physician in case you want to try any alternative cures for bipolar disorder.