Thyroid is a small butterfly shaped organ located in front of the neck. It is a major gland in the endocrine system which helps maintain fat metabolism, regulates body temperature and also plays an important role in the circulatory and nervous system, menstrual health, skin integrity etc. If you have hypo or hyperthyroidism and wish to know natural remedies that can cure it permanently, then use the following steps to treat your thyroid condition naturally.
1. Eat healthier
The best natural way to cure thyroid permanently is through diet. If you have been eating junk food, say, 5 times a week, then try and reduce it to once a week. You will accordingly need to select foods based on the type of thyroid condition you have. In general:
- Best foods for hypothyroidism– Fresh vegetables (choose organic varieties), ginger, carrots, lemons, limes, salmon or wild fish, nuts especially Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, whole grains and seaweed.
- Foods to avoid for hypothyroidism– Cruciferous vegetables, refined grains, added sugars and fatty meats.
- Best foods for hyperthyroidism– Berries, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, cabbage and cauliflower, salmon, turkey and low fat dairy.
- Foods to avoid for hyperthyroidism-All iodine rich foods, enriched flours, red meat, added sugars, whole milk and caffeine.
2. Keep your blood sugar levels under control
This is another essential step to cure thyroid at home. Stay away from refined foods which spike the blood sugar levels. Instead, choose healthy snacks like nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables.
3. Get some sun
Vitamin D deficiency is linked with Hashimoto’s diseases as well as Graves’s disease both of which result from poor thyroid function. Vitamin D is essential for bone building and you can get it through foods like fatty fish, eggs, mushrooms etc. Also, your doctor might recommend a Vitamin D supplement. You can also soak in the early morning sun which is very healing. Walk or sunbathe in the morning sun for at least 15 minutes to balance immune system as well as the calcium and vitamin D levels.
4. Take good quality nutritional supplement/herbs
High quality nutritional supplements and herbs can also cure thyroid naturally, provided you choose ones that are absorbed better by the body. Not all supplements are created equally, so make sure you do your research and pick wisely.
Supplements and herbs for hyperthyroidism or Grave’s disease
- Lemon balm
Supplements and herbs for hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s disease
- Ashwagandha- Take 125 mg of 0.8% extracts of this herb.
- Bladderwrack-This is a type of seaweed that stimulates sluggish thyroid function. It contains large quantities of iodine. This natural herb is also used for curing other ailments like diarrhea, arthritis, anxiety etc. Take up to 200 mg of bladderwrack supplement daily.
- Iodine- This is a must for hypothyroidism. Eat foods rich in iodine such as eggs, oatmeal, fish, parsley, potatoes, bananas, radish and yogurt. Black walnut is a fantastic source of iodine and is one of the best remedies to cure hypothyroidism naturally.
- Ginseng- Siberian Ginseng can boost the wellness of a sluggish thyroid and also control hormone levels. Talk to your doctor about the right dosage.
- Ginger- This natural herb is rich in magnesium, zinc and potassium. It can boost thyroid functioning. Use raw grated ginger in your recipes for soups, curries, stews etc. You can also make tea with ginger and honey and drink it 3-4 times daily.
General supplements for both hyper and hypothyroidism
- Hemidesmus root
- Fish oil- Take 3000 mg of fish oil or 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil. You can also eat a tablespoon of flax seeds daily in powdered form.
- Take DHEA if your levels are low. 5 to 15 mg DHEA can help.
- Take 150 mg of GLA from Evening primrose oil or borage oil.
- Nettle- This herb is beneficial for both hyper and hypothyroidism. The best way to use this herb for curing thyroid naturally is to drink herbal nettle tea and drink it three times a day.
5. Eat coconut oil
Coconut oil boosts the metabolism rate and also stimulates sluggish thyroid while calming down hyperthyroidism. Always use pure, organic coconut oil.
An important way to cure thyroid naturally is through exercise. Yoga is one such exercise that can regulate hormone function. To cure thyroid through yoga, you must do following asanas daily.
Kapalbhati-This is a forceful breathing technique which is also called Skull Shining Breathing Technique. Here are the steps. Do Kapalbhati pranayam for thyroid for at least 15 minutes daily.
Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand) and Halasana– These two Yoga poses for thyroid patients help regulate hyper and hypothyroidism. Avoid these asanas if you have heart problem, high BP or cervical problem.
Fatigue can be a barrier to exercise in thyroid conditions. Always start slow and gradually build up to improve stamina. You can walk for 20-30 minutes daily for a few weeks and later gradually increase its duration and intensity. Do not overdo things; at the same time, try to be as regular as possible.
7. Get quality sleep
Try and sleep for at least 8-9 hours. You can get some tips to beat insomnia and wakefulness by following tips given here.
8. Deal with stress
If you are looking to cure thyroid without medicine, an important step is to prevent stress. Meditation, yoga and deep breathing are some techniques that can combat stress. Also, daily exercise of 30 minutes can help. You can also read positive books to help you stay motivated and happy. Meeting friends, watching fun movies and pursuing hobbies and interests can also lower stress.
9. Cure thyroid naturally with homeopathy
For low thyroid accompanied by symptoms like chills, fatigue or the tendency to be overwhelmed, you can take Calcarea Carbonica. The homeopath can prescribe the best dose for your medical history and symptoms. Take 6x, 12x, 6 C or 12 C potency. For right-sided enlargement of thyroid accompanied by symptoms like bloating and gas, you could take Lycopodium. An homeopath can guide you further.
Use these 9 natural remedies to cure thyroid permanently.