PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome is a common hormonal disorder affecting millions of women all around the world. It is characterized by cysts on the ovaries causing menstrual irregularities, heavy periods, and even infertility. Excess hair growth on the chin and upper lip area, weight gain and acne breakouts are some other PCOS symptoms. Today, we will cover important home remedies to cure PCOS naturally and permanently.
1. Lose weight
Obesity is often a side effect of PCOS but it is very important to treat it first in order to treat PCOS permanently. So, you must first make an attempt to lose weight through the usual channels which include healthy eating, drinking plenty of water, limiting intake of simple carbs like sugar and refined flours, as well as exercising daily.
2. Be active
Being active is very important to manage polycystic ovarian syndrome symptoms. Choose a form of exercise you love: swimming, running, cycling or dancing etc. Walk wherever possible and use the stairs instead of the elevator. Simple changes can make a huge difference.
3. Change your diet
Diet plays a huge role in polycystic syndrome symptoms in the ovaries. Switch to a gluten free diet (no breads, cakes, potatoes and rice). Limit wheat and dairy as far as possible. Eat more fruits and vegetables as well as nuts and seeds. Stay away from packaged goods. Follow clean eating and choose foods as close to their natural raw state as possible. Increase your consumption of sea vegetables like Kelp and Dulse as well as that of healthy fats like avocados, coconuts etc.
4. Apple cider vinegar
Organic raw apple cider vinegar plays a huge role in helping you treat PCOS naturally and permanently. PCOS is nothing but inflammation of the ovaries because of the acidic overload thanks to unhealthy lifestyle choices. ACV can cure this inflammation and balance ph to make the body more alkaline. Here is a wonderful anti-inflammatory drink recipe:
- 2 tbsp organic raw unfiltered ACV with mother
- 1 tsp organic raw honey
- ¼ tsp organic turmeric powder
- A glass of warm water
Drink this mixture everyday first thing in the morning. If you aren’t fond of the taste of ACV, add a teaspoon of baking soda to it. ACV douches and baths can help-add a cup of organic apple cider vinegar to bath water and soak in it.
5. Blackstrap molasses
Taking organic blackstrap molasses can prevent period problems associated with this syndrome. Eat a tablespoon each morning to stop heavy bleeding, cramps and other issues.
6. Supplements to take daily for PCOS
- Omega essential fatty acids are very important for patients of PCOS. Take a tablespoon of flaxseeds daily with your morning cereal. You can also take omega 3 and 6 capsules as well as fish oil for weight management.
- If hair loss is a major concern, take Biotin capsules every day. Eat foods rich in B vitamins and proteins. These include sea food, lean meat, eggs and milk. Vegetarians can take protein supplements like whey casein isolate, pea protein or rice protein. Hemp protein is also easy to digest and suitable for vegans. Look for protein containing NAC (N-acetylcysteine – an amino acid) which can also help with PCOS symptoms. Take 1.6 grams per day of NAC.
- Spirulina and chlorella green algae are great sources of Vitamin B12, amino acids and several other nutrients like chlorophyll. Add these powders to your morning smoothies.
- For hair loss, breast tenderness and other menstrual issues, take saw palmetto capsules and evening primrose oil.
- Take a multivitamin daily with at least 2000 mg Vitamin C, magnesium (400 mg/day) and selenium 200 mcg per day.
- Iodine deficiency is often a cause of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Take Iodine supplements. Lugol’s Iodine can help with anxiety, depression and fatigue associated with PCOS.
- Green tea extract supplements aid in stress control. They also fight weight gain, acne and hair loss.
7. Khombucha tea
Drink Khombucha tea daily as it has numerous health benefits. You can add it to Apple cider vinegar. This fermented prebiotic and probiotic drink fights inflammation and restores normal flora in the gut.
Many herbal remedies for PCOS help with issues like infertility and hair loss. Vitex or chaste berry, Black cohosh and crampbark teas or tinctures are readily available in the market. Chinese herbs for PCOS include Dong Quai. Take these with the guidance of an herbalist. Spearmint tea is known to aid with acne and blemishes arising from PCOS. Drink two cups of it daily. Also apply diluted spearmint oil to blemishes and acne marks to reduce scarring.
9. Maca powder
Add a tablespoon of gelatinized Maca to your daily green smoothies (make it with spinach, matcha tea powder, almonds, assorted berries, yogurt and maca and blend away). Maca is rich in antioxidants and aids in weight loss, hair issues and fatigue.
10. Stress control
Do yoga, meditation and deep breathing to fight anxiety and stress. Exercise daily and do something fun everyday.
Try these 10 home remedies to manage PCOS symptoms and even cure it permanently and naturally.