Appendicitis is the infection of the appendix – a small vestigial organ connected to the intestine on the lower right side of the abdomen. When it comes to treating appendicitis, your best bet is to seek medical help. However, there are some reported cases having been resolved completely with natural medicine and herbs. Traditional Chinese medicine and homeopathy are few of the well known branches of medicine known to have successfully treated this condition without surgery. However, we would suggest listening to your body. You can always use these remedies mentioned below alongside antibiotics or conventional treatment for appendicitis. Here are the most effective ones:
1. Apple cider vinegar for appendicitis
Apple cider vinegar for appendicitis is one of the most effective remedies to take at the onset of appendix attack signs. Drink a glass of warm water mixed with a tablespoon of organic, raw ACV. Continue taking sips of the mixture until you can get help. Since apple cider vinegar is anti-inflammatory, it can help with the pain.
2. Fasting and detox
Appendicitis is an indication that your appendix is ridden with toxins and bacteria. At the first sign of attack like pain, vomiting and nausea, take bed rest. Do not eat anything. Fasting will help remove toxins from the body. Also take enemas which may consist of ½ liter of warm water. Do this for 2 days to cleanse the lower bowel. On the third day, take a full enema of 1 and ½ liters of water. You may start eating slowly too – fruits are best. Once the pain is gone, adopt a healthy diet of whole grains, nuts and seeds as well as fresh juicy fruits and vegetables. Drink plenty of water mixed with sea salt for cleansing the system. If there is no improvement in pain, please see a doctor immediately.
3. Hot compress
Use hot compress on the painful area of the stomach and abdomen to reduce pain. You can add a few drops of pain relieving essential oils like Lavender, Chamomile, Rosemary etc. Wrap an abdominal pack covered with dry flannel cloth tightly around the abdomen continuously until symptoms subside. For burning sensation, cold milk packs applied to the abdomen can help.
4. Vegetable juices
Juice made using carrot, celery and beets is beneficial for appendicitis. Also juice with bilberry, grapes and carrots can aid in detox.
5. Castor oil
Take a teaspoon of food grade castor oil orally to clear constipation. This will remove blockage. Castor oil also helps with burning pain and inflammation. Massaging the abdomen with castor oil can also help with the pain.
6. Ginger and Garlic
Garlic capsules or garlic oil are considered to be powerful anti-inflammatory cures to get rid of appendix pain. This remedy is also helpful in treating pain and inflammation. At the first sign of appendix pain, take a couple of capsules of Garlic oil. Also ginger can help with vomiting and nausea, so drink ginger tea with lemon and Apple cider vinegar.
7. Dandelion root capsules
To make your appendix stop hurting, take dandelion root capsules with plenty of lemon juice. You can open up the capsule and mix it with warm water and lemon juice and drink this ‘tea’ 3-4 times a day.
8. Charcoal poultice
Charcoal poultice in flaxseed oil can also be used for stopping appendicitis pain and inflammation. Here is a detailed story of a patient who treated his appendicitis without surgery using this remedy.
9. Post surgery supplements for quick recovery from appendicitis
Sometimes, patients develop complications despite taking antibiotics or getting their appendix surgically removed. Here are some herbal remedies to help with the recovery:
- Take 250-500 mg of Echinacea once a day and 150-300 mg of Goldenseal three times a day. These detoxify the blood after anesthesia and also strengthen the immune system.
- Take 500 mg of Astragalus thrice a day. This contains tons of vitamins, minerals and trace minerals. Avoid taking it if you have fever.
- Take 50-75 mg of pine bark or grape-seed extracts thrice a day. These are natural anti-inflammatory herbs and are also rich in bioflavonoids.
- Two weeks after the surgery, take 100 g of Siberian Ginseng, one dose of Gentian and one dose of Dadelion root.
Rub a mixture of Castor oil, evening primrose oil and Vitamin E oil on the surgical area to prevent pus formation and infection.
10. Homeopathic remedies for appendicitis
Homeopathic remedies for appendicitis help with the pain and nausea.
- Nux Vomica 30x or 200x helps with nausea and vomiting both before and after surgery.
- One dose of Arnica 30x or 9C can heal the surgical wound quickly.
- Staphysagria 15 C thrice a day can heal the incision and minimize scarring.
- Take Hypericum for appendicitis pain 6x or 5C three times a day.
- To reduce constipation, gas and bloating, take lycopodium 3x or 15c twice daily.
It is best not to ignore Appendicitis symptoms for far too long as a ruptured appendix needs immediate surgical removal to prevent the infection from spreading. If the above remedies do not stop the appendix from hurting, seek immediate medical help.