You feel your bladder is on fire and you know a UTI is coming. You do not want to go to the doctor because you are sure you’d end up getting a prescription for antibiotics. What do you do in such a case? Is there an over-the-counter treatment that cures UTI? Let us find out:
Understand urinary tract infections before you do anything!
A man who becomes his own doctor has a fool for a patient.
You must ensure that what you are dealing with is indeed a urine infection, before you go seeking over-the-counter treatment for it. How can you know for sure? A urine test will tell you for sure. Additionally there may be one or more of the following symptoms:
- Burning pain during urination
- The urge to go several times to the loo to relieve yourself. However; only a few drops of urine may be produced.
- You have abdominal pain and also pain in the back
- Fever and chills
- Fatigue, general malaise
If there is presence of blood in the urine, you must get a cystoscopy and a scan as advised by the doctor. An untreated urine infection could develop into a serious kidney infection or Pyelonephritis.
Over the counter UTI medicine
There is no specific over the counter UTI medicine. You will need antibiotics like amoxicillin for UTI to kill the bacteria causing the infection. However, as a first line of treatment, you could use AZO. AZO is a pain relieving medicine which is specifically made for UTIs. It contains compounds like phenazopyridine hydrochloride which ordinary pain relievers do not contain. It helps you to get rid of UTI pain immediately.
Two of the best over the counter uti medicine include AZO Urinary Pain Relief and AZO Urinary Pain Relief Maximum Strength. Both contain phenazopyridine hydrochloride which is a compound specifically recommended by doctors for relieving pain, burning and fever. The Maximum Strength AZO UTI medicine is known to give instant relief from severe UTI symptoms.
UTI is terrible and the pain can be excruciating. In many European countries, women who get frequent UTIs are advised by doctors to take a home urine test. This way; one can avoid false positives, since many conditions produce symptoms similar to UTI. If the test is positive, it is best to go to a doctor. If you really want to avoid getting UTIs (we know you would, particularly if you are getting one bi-monthly) try the following home remedies:
- Drink tons of water- this will help flush the bacteria out
- Take AZO pills to manage pain
- Drink real cranberry juice (not the sugary commercial ones)
- Drink a mixture of carrot, celery and parsley juice
- Sip on Nettle tea 4-5 times a day.
- Take D-mannose supplement. We have covered this topic in detail here.
- Avoid all alcohol, caffeine, tea and other dehydrating beverages that can irritate the bladder
- Place a warm compress on the abdomen to manage the pain.
- Once you feel better, continue with over the counter AZO Cranberry pills or extracts to prevent potential UTI.
How to take over the counter antibiotics for UTI?
There are no over the counter antibiotics for UTI. Amoxicillin for UTI is the main drug prescribed in the United States to treat mild to moderate UTIs. As stated above Azo uti medicine is the only pain relieving medicine available to treat the symptoms of UTI. Note that AZO does not cure the infection- it only gives fast relief from painful symptoms of urine and bladder infections.
Dosage of UTI medicine: Adults and kids over 12 years of age may take 2 AZO UTI tablets three times a day with meals. Take the uti medicine with a full glass of water. If you are not feeling better within 72 hours, seek medical help.
Avoid using over the counter UTI medicines for kids below 12 years of age.
Will UTI recur?
Statistics show that one in five women who have suffered from a UTI pain will have to go through it again. That being said there are some important tips and rules which, if followed meticulously, can considerably lower your chances of getting UTI:
- Urinate before and after sex-immediately, do not wait!
- Avoid tight underpants such as thongs. These facilitate the transfer of germs from anus to urethra.
- Wiping after a bowel movement is best done from front to back rather than back to front to prevent germs from anus coming closer to the urethral opening.
- Drink plenty of water and pure cranberry juice- at least 8 to 16 ounces daily.
- Go to pee immediately once you get the urge.
- Use tampons instead of sanitary napkins. Change tampons every 3 hours.
- Wear loose fitting, clean cotton underwear.
- Avoid sitting in damp swimming suit/bikini for long periods of time. Change and wash the used swim suit immediately.
- Avoid skinny jeans
Taking over the counter UTI medicines such as AZO Cranberry Softgels can also flush out the urinary tract to maintain its cleanliness. This over the counter AZO UTI medicine is also available in form of gummies which can be chewed daily. It has very little sugar content and contains 25,000 mg of pure cranberry fruit. This can help you get requisite antioxidants to build immunity and fight UTI.