Cold showers. James Bond showers. Libido killers. Colds showers may be known by various names but one thing is for sure: more and more people are turning to this home remedy to reverse and prevent signs of aging, boost testosterone and even lose weight. Let us find out all about the health benefits and risks of cold showers and whether they can aid weight loss.
Health Benefits of Cold Showers
1. Increase sperm production
Since centuries, cold showers were used for killing the ardor of young men. However, a study by the Thrombosis Institute in London showed that cold showers and cold water immersion actually increased circulation which, in turn, helps stimulate the testicles to produce more sperm.
2. Healthier for the skin
Many proponents of cold showers claim that the cold water does not dry the skin unlike hot showers do. This is a great benefit from the point of view of mature skin which loses moisture on a daily basis. Many men and women with beautiful younger looking skin swear by this secret and several celebrities including Miranda Kerr and Katherine Hepburn are known to use this beauty regime. Dermatologist Whitney Bowe, MD states that cold or lukewarm shower helps seal pores, boosts circulation and reduces under-eye puffiness.Try cold showers everyday and see your skin glow!
3. Aids in weight loss
Cold shower may aid in weight loss as the practice boosts metabolism. When you step into a cold shower, the body is shocked and immediately turns to its stored fat deposits for fuel to get warmer. (Doctors therefore recommend that very skinny people must not take cold showers for this very reason.)
4. Boosts circulation
Cold water showers get the blood flowing and regulate circulation problems. This can benefit the skin, hair and muscles-the latter by reliving aches and pains.
5. Great for the hair
Where hot showers irritate the scalp and lead to flaking, cold showers seal the cuticle and lock in the moisture keeping hair healthy and hydrated.
6. Lowers blood pressure and eliminates toxins
Some experts suggest that cold showers reduce blood pressure on the organs and squeeze the muscles to throw out toxic waste. This boosts immunity and encourages the lymphatic system to eliminate the waste and detoxify the body.
7. Alleviates depression
Seasonal depression sufferers can benefit greatly from cold showers. As the cold water boosts circulation, it stimulates feel good endorphins that lowers stress and boost the mood. Cold showers also work on the pituitary and other glands regulating hormone production and uplifting the senses.
8. Good for the environment
People taking cold showers automatically end up using a lot less water and resources. That is indeed great for the environment. It also frees up personal time.
How To Take Cold Showers And Survive it
Always start small. Here are the steps to safely taking a cold shower and surviving it:
- Turn on the water to lukewarm (around 50 F) for approximately 30 seconds and dip your hair in. Wet the hair only and not the body. Now that your hair is wet, shampoo it.
- Step back into the shower, wash off the shampoo and wet your body. Step out. (Less than 30 seconds).
- Turn off the water. Step out, apply soap to the body and lather on.
- Turn the water back on, step into the shower and rinse off. Step out, condition the hair.
- Jump back in and wash off the conditioner. Rinse the body, step out an towel off immediately.
- Do not jump in all at once as it can hinder circulation.
- People with blood pressure or heart disease must consult their doctor before taking cold showers.
- Very thin people must avoid this bathing technique and try cold sponge baths instead.
Now that you know the anti-aging secret of celebrities, would you try cold showers? Let us know!