We recently talked about Spirulina and its health benefits for weight loss and overall health and well being. Today, we are going to discuss everything you need to know about Chlorella benefits-for skin, hair and weight loss. We will also do a brief comparison of chlorella vs spirulina so you can make an informed choice when taking these superfoods. These days, you can also buy pills and powders containing both-spirulina and chlorella. Finally, we will also cover important questions like how to take chlorella for weight loss and detox and places where you can buy this superfood.
What is Chlorella?
Chlorella is a single celled freshwater alga. Like spirulina, it is millions of years old and very essential for life and photosynthesis. Size wise, it is comparable to a human blood corpuscle. Chlorella was first discovered in 1890 by a Dutch microbiologist M. W Beijernick who conducted a lot of research on chlorella nutrition and other benefits. The word Chlorella comes from two Greek words- Chloros (greenish yellow) and ella (tiny or small). Scientists believe chlorella to be the first link in the food chain and as the first green one-celled plant with a single nucleus it may be responsible for all forms of life on Earth today.
Chlorella has numerous health benefits:
- It detoxifies the body and normalize its functions
- Chlorella skin benefits include cell repair and tissue regeneration. It also restores youthful appearance and provides anti-aging benefits. Chlorella is proven to accelerate healing of wounds and injuries.
- Scientists believe that this superfood can provide protection against radiation and protect against toxic pollutants and heavy metals.
- Chlorella has immune strengthening properties. A study conducted in 1973 on rats showed an increase in macrophages which is an important constituent of immune strengthening processes.
- This superfood aids in weight loss by normalizing digestion, improving metabolism and preventing unhealthy food cravings.
- Chlorella is 60% proteins and contains 8 vital amino acids. It is no wonder that this superfood was used as an important food source during the 2 World Wars.
- 2 grams of Chlorella added to regular meals has been known to increase weight and height in underweight boys.
- Chlorella is an important source of Vitamin B 12. Just one tablespoon of Chlorella can give 333% of adult RDA of B12.
- 100 grams of chlorella contains 180 mg beta carotene. This can protect against free radical damage and provide anti-tumor benefits.
- Other than spirulina, chlorella contains more chlorophyll per gram compared to any land or sea plant.
Where to buy chlorella
Chlorella is readily available in health food stores as well as in online retail shops. It is available in the form of powders and pills. Here are top three brands based on 5 star Chlorella reviews:
- Chlorella Tablets by Good Natured. Normally, chlorella cell wall is not cracked which makes it difficult to digest. This brand from Good Natured® uses special technology to crack the wall so you can digest the pills without any associated discomfort. Also, this powder contains 50-50 mix of chlorella and spirulina-so you get the best of both algae. On the downside, some reviewers stated that they developed constipation and heartburn with this product. Do proceed with caution and start with ½ a pill daily slowly increasing to standard chlorella dosage. Also, this brand is made in Taiwan, which has been a cause of concern for some users.
- Chlorella by Now Foods– When it comes to all things healthy and natural, NOW Foods® is a popular brand. Each of these tablets contains 1000 mg Chlorella. One of the best chlorella reviews was a person stating how this brand helped his stage 4 cancer go in remission. Some people experienced GI tract difficulties with it-so it is best to start small and take ½ tablet to start with. You can also try NOW foods organic chlorella of 500 mg per tablet if you are concerned about mercury content.
- Actif Ocean– This particular brand has 5 star reviews from nearly 200 satisfied customers ( at the time of writing this review). The main reason why people love it is that it has been cleaned so it is devoid of mercury and other toxins. Actif Ocean Chlorella is non GMO, gluten free and free of preservatives and dyes.
How to take it: The right Chlorella dosage
Research conducted at Huntington Research Center shows that there is no toxicity with this superfood in most cases. One can safely take up to 1000 mg of chlorella per day. Toxicity is observed at higher doses of 1 kilogram or 2.2 pounds. Your chosen brand of Chlorella will also contain the dosage directions, so take accordingly. For weight loss, hair and skin benefits, it is recommended taking 1 to 5 tablets (or equivalent amount of powder/granules) 2-3 times a day. If you are taking chlorella for detox, take it on an empty stomach. Some users have reported gastrointestinal discomfort and stomach cramps with this superfood. However, these effects usually go away within 2 -3 days. You will also start to notice weight loss, hair and skin texture improvement, as well as improvement in constipation within 7-10 days of taking chlorella nutrition.
Chlorella vs Spirulina
People often confuse the two. Spirulina is a spiral, multicelled alga, while chlorella is round and single celled. The former is also available in the market as a tablet or in the powdered form as a dark green powder. Chlorella is also greenish in color which may be the cause of confusion. That said; chlorella contains almost 5 times more chlorophyll than that found in Spirulina since Spirulina does not have the specialized cell wall which is characteristic of Chlorella.
Chlorella nutrition and health benefits are tremendous, as can be seen above. It is a remarkable tiny microorganism which can benefit your hair, skin and even fight cancer. Many case studies have shown the efficacy of this superfood in aiding weight loss. It is a reliable source of Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, beta carotene and protein as well as other antioxidants and minerals. A lot of research has been conducted on Chlorella in Japan and much is being conducted today in United States too. Chlorella Growth Factors can contribute to anti aging benefits. It can be used for healing wounds, alleviating menopausal issues in women and also be used a cow-milk substitute for infants who are lactose intolerant. Chlorella is an excellent superfood for chelating toxins and heavy metals, combating allergies, and correcting chronic constipation. All of these chlorella benefits for skin and weight loss are not just folktales or reviews from satisfied customers but tried, tested and proven lab results as well. It is time we all start taking this superfood.