Lately, there has been a lot of ongoing research on apple cider vinegar (or ACV as it is fondly known by its proponents). More and more people are raving about the wonderful health benefits of drinking ACV daily. From curing acne, to treating urine infections to balancing ph and preventing inflammation; this miraculous drink is even being taken seriously by the scientific community. In today’s guide, we will answer the question: can drinking apple cider vinegar cure ringworm?
But first, let us study what all apple cider vinegar can really cure:
What does apple cider vinegar cure?
Here are some health benefits of vinegar, particularly ACV:
- All types of vinegar are beneficial for the human body. The food that we eat today is highly acidic which makes our system acidic as well. It is due to this reason that more and more people are suffering from inflammation which results in all kinds of health problems. The surprising thing to note here is that vinegar is itself acidic in nature. However, it balances the pH of the human body and makes it more alkaline.
- Conversely, in people with chronic urine infections, daily intake of apple cider vinegar helps acidify and kill the bacteria in the urine. By drinking ACV regularly, we actually reduce the bacterial ability to cling to the walls of the intestines, thereby preventing all types of infections.
- It also seems to work on fungi and yeast: many women are claiming that drinking Apple cider vinegar has cured yeast infections as well.
- Apple cider vinegar could also prevent Type 2 diabetes. Several scientifically conducted studies have proven this for a fact. ACV actually reduced the blood glucose levels in patients who took it before meals.
- Regular intake of apple cider vinegar has also been known to lead to moderate weight loss. In the study, participants who took 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar before each meal or at bedtime lost nearly 2 pounds of weight in one week.
- In rats, Apple cider vinegar lowered cholesterol. Another study showed that the acetic acid in vinegar lowered hypertension in lab animals.
- One study has also proven that apple cider vinegar could combat esophageal cancer. Few more studies are needed to ascertain this but more and more people are turning to this holistic remedy to combat and kill cancer cells.
Can apple cider vinegar cure ringworm?
Ringworm is a common skin infection, not caused by worms, but a fungus. Since vinegar is antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory, there is a very good chance that it can be used to treat ringworm. Ringworm fungus feeds of dead skin cells called keratin resulting in a rash that is itchy, scaly, round and thick.
Many sufferers of ringworm, skeptics included, have tried apple cider vinegar and white vinegar for ringworm rashes with great results. And why not! If vinegar can do all of the above-like prevent diabetes, treat yeast infections, cure UTIs and even cancer- then there is no reason why drinking vinegar won’t be good for treating ringworm.
How to use apple cider vinegar for ringworm?
What we would really like to recommend here is starting with the topical treatment first, the best part of which is it is completely natural and can be used on all kinds of ringworm including that of the scalp, beard, groin, nails etc.
In this home remedy for ringworm, you take undiluted apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and soak some sterile cotton in it. Dab the cotton all over the ringworm rash. Repeat application multiple times a day. Before you know it, the infection would have cleared. You can also make a paste of white vinegar and salt and apply that to the ringworm sores. For ringworm on the scalp, apply undiluted apple cider vinegar three times a day to the infected area. Massage the vinegar really well in the scalp, so it can work on the fungal spores and eliminate them completely.
Ringworm does not affect just people, it can also affect pets. If your dog or cat suffers from ringworm regularly, you can massage apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in their coat. Repeat application several times a day. Also bathe the pet with an anti-fungal shampoo. Rinse off after a few minutes and, as a final rinse, spray some ACV into the coat. This will make their coat shiny and also keep ticks and fleas away. You can also sneak in a bit of organic ACV in your pets’ drinking water to clear the infection from inside out.
How to drink apple cider vinegar for treating ringworm?
Here is a wonderful recipe to drink apple cider vinegar to get rid of ringworm overnight:
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup or stevia (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- A glass of warm water
Mix all the ingredients. Drink on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. This morning elixir will jump start your digestion, eliminate toxins, prevent constipation and balance the Ph of the body. Regular intake of it will give you a healthy glowing skin by fighting not only ringworm but also acne, rosacea, eczema and other skin problems.
Remember: If your ringworm symptoms do not improve over the next few days, you might want to resort to conventional ringworm treatment like clotrimazole or miconazole based creams. Continue the treatment you choose for at least 3-4 weeks even if you are asymptomatic.