There is a new superfood on the block- bone broth! From weight loss to its use as a beauty elixir, from its skin benefits to fighting cancer to complete nutrition; there is not much this superfood cannot do. So, we simply had to include bone broth in our natural home remedies for curing pretty much every ailment under the sun. Let us discover the amazing bone broth benefits.
What is bone broth?
Bone broth is a broth made using chicken, veal, venison, fish, duck, beef or lamb bones. It is an ancient remedy used by people across different cultures to cure a variety of ailments. In those days, it was considered an elixir made by simmering animal bones. Today, people are awakening to bone broth benefits and this superfood has made a comeback.
Top bone broth benefits
- This delicious elixir is packed with more than 19 essential amino acids. It also contains GLYCOSAMINOGLYCANS or GAGs which support collagen and elastin to give you younger looking skin. It even contains Glucosamine which maintains integrity of the cartilage and supports bone health. Drink it daily to protect your joints and bone health.
- It’s high Arginine content heals damaged cells and also prevents hair fall.
- Bone broth is anti-inflammatory, boosts immunity and can overcome food allergies.
- Primary bone broth skin benefits include: reduced age spots , fine lines and wrinkles, tighter, younger looking skin, reduced acne and blemishes, reduced allergies, psoriasis, eczema and rashes.
- You can detoxify your system with this health food.
- Regular intake can promote anabolism and metabolism to help you lose weight.
Where to buy bone broth?
Store brought bone broth is not the real deal. It is packed with MSG and contains lab-produced meat and other flavors. MSG, which is used for flavoring and preserving the broth, is a known neurotoxin. You can easily make bone broth at home. Bone broth recipe is very versatile and you can pretty much use bones of any animal. The bones are simmered for 24 hours and often mixed with other ingredients like vegetables, herbs, spices and apple cider vinegar.You can buy the bones from a butcher or simply use the bones leftover after cooking meat recipes. Best bones that are very popular in making broth are: cow, veal, venison, lamb, goose, duck, turkey bones. These days, many restaurants have started selling bone broth as an alternative to caffeine. You can also buy ready-to-use bone broth protein powder which you need to only add to water. 1 scoop of bone broth protein powder yields 2.5 cups of delicious bone broth.
How much bone broth should you drink daily?
Bone broth is a superfood extremely rich in proteins (100 grams of bone broth contains 2 grams of protein), vitamins and minerals. It has a high collagen content needed for healthy skin. The Glutamine, Glycine and proline content of bone broth supports weight management; many people drink only bone broth all day long to lose weight and improve their skin tone. Many celebrities have made the ‘bone broth diet’ rather famous claiming that it reduces wrinkles and cellulite. The collagen in bone broth can also improve immunity and reduce inflammation in the body. To get all these bone broth benefits, drink at least 8 ounces of two or three times a day. When using bone broth for weight loss, we recommend having it 3 times a day in place of meals. If you are using it to cure ailments, then have at least 2 cups. As a part of your wellness routine, simply enjoy the process!
How to use bone broth?
You can make a huge batch of bone broth and fill it in a thermos to carry to work. This is great for traveling and is especially beneficial when you want to avoid store brought snacks or coffee. You can also use bone broth in place of water when making rice, sauces, pasta and other recipes. Use it to simmer eggs, grains, fish and other meats. You may even use it in desserts!Also use bone broth to make your face packs, beauty serums and elixirs!
Easy homemade bone broth recipe
In this bone broth recipe, we will use pasture fed and hormone-free meat and bones. You can be as creative as you like when making this elixir. If you are adding meat, brown it first in a skillet before adding to the stockpot. In case of fish or poultry broth, add them as is without browning. Use apple cider vinegar to draw out minerals from the bones.
- Place all ingredients in a stockpot.
- You can add vegetables like onions, carrots, celery for added nutrition.
- Add spices like ginger, turmeric, garlic to enhance flavor.
- Pour in two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar to help draw out the nutrients from the meat and bones.
- Fill the pot with water making sure there is adequate space on the top for boiling.
- Boil the mixture then reduce to a simmer and cook for at least 6 hours. You may also cook on low heat for up to 24 hours when using chicken bones or up to 48 hours when using beef bones.
Once the broth is cooked, a layer of fat will accumulate on top. This protects the broth beneath. You can discard this layer before consumption.