Ringworm leads to the appearance of ring like patches on the skin. Although the name suggests a worm, ringworm is not caused by a worm or insect bite but by spreading of a fungal infection. Several species of this fungus infect people and pets like cats, dogs, hamsters and other mammals. The infected area appears like a dry patch with a red ring of blisters on the outer edge. Ringworm can be cured either at home using basic home remedies or by taking a course of antifungal medication depending on the severity and extent of infection. Best medication for ringworm consists of compounds like Allylamines, Azoles, Griseofulvin and Tolnaftate. They are both prescription medicines and over the counter medication available in the form of creams, gels and tablets. Creams are a popular over the counter medication available for ringworm cure. The best cream for ringworm must contain a compound clotrimazole. Many clotrimazole creams are available that are advertised as the best cream for ringworm. Whether the claims are true depends on the rest of the composition and the percentage composition of the creams.
Types of ringworm
- Ringworm of the skin: Or just ringworm is the most common infection found in mammals. It creates dry and scaly patches on the skin surrounded by tiny red blisters that look like a ring.
- Ringworm of the Face, mostly cheeks: This also looks like ringworm of the skin but only affects the face. It mostly affects the cheeks but is also seen around the corners of the mouth and edges of the nose. It is easily cured with application of antifungal cream.
- Ringworm of the scalp: This could be mistaken for dandruff in the beginning because of the scaly look. The dandruff like lumps eventually become larger forming a circular pattern.
- Ringworm of the Hand: Dry scaly patches on the palms and between fingers characterize the ringworm of hands.
- Ringworm of the Nails: Fingernails and toenails become yellow and think but break easily.
- Ringworm of the Feet: Also called athletes foot, it causes thickening and scaling on the heels, soles and between the toes.
- Ringworm of the Groin region: Also called jocks itch, it causes reddening and sometimes pain in the groin area.
List of best medication for ringworm
Some of the best medication for ringworm can be procured over the counter in the form of creams. Some creams and lotions also take into account the type of skin of the user when formulating their cures.
- “Lotrimin AF” is the best cream for ringworm and is very effective. It contains clotrimazole and cures ringworm in a matter of days. You can buy it as a small tube and it is also easy to use in otherwise inaccessible areas like the armpits, in between the toes and behind the ear.
- “Forces Of Nature” is one the best medication for ringworm in the homeopathic creams category. In fact, it is the best cream for ringworm, as it produces no side effects like drying up of skin and does not alter the nature of skin being a homeopathic remedy. It also effectively prevents recurrence.
- “Purely Northwest” is also one of the best medication for ringworm. This ringworm cure is based on tea tree oil and other essential oils. This composition enables the medication to easily kill all the fungi and bacteria. It is a body-wash liquid that could be used in the shower to cure ringworm. It can also be used to prevent recurrence. It does not smell like a typical antifungal medicine and also has ingredients that keep your skin from drying up.
- “Quaker” produces Blue Star ointment if you don’t want to be bothered by creams and shampoos. It is supposedly a ringworm product that relieves the itching and burning sensation but certainly is not the best medication for ringworm available in the market.
- “Phytozine” is the best medication for ringworm of sensitive skin. It has the compound Tolnaftate and is enriched with natural ingredients like tea tree oil, lavender, camphor and clove. It is the best cream for ringworm that uses natural ingredients.
- “SynergyLabs” produces the best medication for ringworm for the cats and dogs in the form of a spray. For other pets like hamsters and rabbits, it is best to consult a veterinarian.
- “Oleavine” is antigfungal soap that can be used everyday as a body-wash or feet soak. It is completely organic and effectively prevents ringworm. It can be used after a workout or a swim and is a favorite in locker rooms. It does not have corticosteroids.
- “Family care” claims to produce the best cream for ringworm that contains clotrimazole. The claim is true given the percentage composition of clotrimazole and it works to treat jock itch and athletes foot along with ringworm of the skin.
Many products are available in the market that cure ringworm, relieve itching and prevent recurrence. Choose the best medication for ringworm that suits your requirement. However, if after continued use for 10 to 14 days, you see no improvement, consult your GP or a dermatologist.