Hormones are chemical substances which control and coordinate activities in the body and are controlled by our nervous system. An imbalance in hormones leads to weight changes, mood swings, lack of sex drive, acne, irregular menses in females and several diseases including diabetes etc. Hormonal imbalance could especially interfere with a woman’s ability to get pregnant. In this article, we will study home remedies to help you balance your hormones naturally, for males and females.
1. Eat organic food
Inorganic food contains traces of chemicals which directly impact our hormones. It is no wonder that consumption of inorganic processed foods is leading to early puberty in children. Girls are developing breasts at as early as 8 years. Therefore, no matter how expensive it may be, choose organic food over inorganic ones. This is the easiest way to balance hormones for males and females.
2. Reduce chemicals in your environment
Chemicals are found in car’s exhaust, shampoos, soaps, dairy products, carpets and countertops, furniture, foods containing dyes and preservatives and also on fruits and vegetables sprayed with pesticides. As stated above, you can minimize your exposure to these chemical toxins by eating organic food. Additionally, you must change the brands of soaps and shampoos by selecting organic, cruelty free and natural products from popular brands. Visit the EWG (Environmental Working Group) website which gives ratings for products so you can choose ones having minimal chemicals.
3. Eat more lean protein
This is an important remedy to balance hormones in males and females. Dietary protein intake affects testosterone which is important for building lean muscle mass. So, aim to get at least 25-30% of total calories from lean protein like chicken, turkey and fish. This is especially important to those who want to lose weight by balancing their hormones. Always choose hormone free lean or white mean.
4. Eat the right foods
Food plays an important role in hormonal levels. Here are foods to eat and ones to avoid when seeking to balance hormones to prevent acne and lose weight:
- Avoid alcohol– Substitute it with non alcoholic beverages
- Avoid coffee and black tea- Replace them with herbal teas without caffeine. Drink green tea in moderation.
- Avoid Saturated and hydrogenated fats- Replace them with good fats like real organic grass fed butter, clarified butter, olive and coconut oil, walnuts, avocados, nuts and seeds
- Eggs– use only organic, cage free eggs
- Avoid pasteurized milk– choose organic rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk.
- Avoid dairy completely-have you ever seen adult cows drink milk?
5. Aim to get 15,000 mcg of phytoestrogens per day
Phytoestrogens are substances obtained from plants which help mimic the estrogens found in humans. You can easily get phytoestrogens from following food sources:
- Citrus fruits
- Soya in form of fermented tempeh
- Most fruits and vegetables (choose organic varieties) especially Cabbage, broccoli and green vegetables, Brussels sprouts, kale, Bok Choy.
- Split peas, licorice, lentils and beans
Related Content: How to deal with PMS
6. Use herbal remedies to balance hormones
Many herbs are phytoestrogenic in action and can be used to balance hormones for irregular periods, to lose weight or for eliminating acne.
- Agnus castus– This herbal remedy has been used to treat hormonal issues in women since centuries. 90% of a study group consisting of women suffering from PMS found relief in symptoms dry extract of Agnus Castus plant. Vitex Agnus Castus standard dosage for PMS relief is 150-200 mg. Agnust castus is also called Chasteberry and is a popular herbal remedy to balance hormones during perimenopause or even to get pregnant. It decreases estrogen levels and increases progesterone and prolactin. 4 mg of standard dose per day is recommended for pregnant but, do talk to your doctor or herbalist about the right dosage to take.
- Black cohosh, Dong quai and wild yam-All these herbal remedies balance hormones by favoring progesterone production in the body. Black cohosh dosage- take 20-40mg standard extract daily. Wild yam fertility dose must be discussed with a fertility specialist. Likewise, talk to a Chinese herbalist about the right dose for Dong Quai.
- Saw palmetto– Saw palmetto extracts are available in the form of tea, capsules or powders and tinctures. They block over production of testosterone to stop hair fall, facial hair in women, and breast pain and breast tenderness during PMS. Suggested dose of saw palmetto is 1 tsp liquid extract.
- Ginseng and licorice– Both these herbs are powerful adaptogens which balance hormones in women in whom the estrogen levels are very high. Ginseng also helps you deal with stress and prevents perimenopausal symptoms.
- John’s Wort– This herbal remedy is known for its anti-depressant effects. It can also relieve side effects of hormonal imbalance like headaches, loss of libido, lack of concentration, fatigue, acne etc. In a German study, 80% of women who took 300 mg of St. John’s Wort experienced feeling better from menopausal symptoms of fatigue and irritability.
7. Take DIM supplements
DIM stands for Didolylmethane which is found naturally in cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc. Studies have shown that DIM can reduce risk of colon, breast and uterine cancers and can also alleviate symptoms of PMS. There is no standard dosage of DIM and your doctor will recommend it to you based on your age, exact symptoms, fertility factors etc.
8. Do a liver detox
Detox from time to time chelates toxins and heavy metals from the body. It enables the body to get rid of estrogen overload to balance your system and reduce symptoms like bloating, heavy and irregular periods, inability to get pregnant etc.
- Go on a 4 day detox plan. Drink only fresh fruit juices, herbal tea and water throughout day 1. Drink at least 8 glasses of water.
- On day 2, add some brown rice or quinoa to your diet. Eat salads and fresh fruits, clear homemade soups etc.
- Take a fiber supplement on all 4 days to cleanse the liver and colon. Continue to drink juices, soups and water. You can add some salmon or chicken to the diet on day 3.
- Take plenty of rest. Schedule a massage and avoid computers, TV and mobile phones.
These steps will reset your hormones and help reduce bloating. You can do the 4 day cleanse once a month.
Related content: Detox Water Recipes
9. Iodine therapy
Iodine is a vital nutrient for thyroid health and plays an important role in balancing hormones. It is found naturally in seafood, fortified salt and seaweed. If possible, get your iodine levels checked and supplement with a tablet containing iodine and iodide. Your physician can guide you further about exact dosing of iodine therapy.
10. Take calcium and magnesium
Most women on birth control pills are deficient in these nutrients. So take a pill containing both if you suffer from side effects like hot flashes or cramping etc. Magnesium deficiency is indicated if you crave chocolate or experience pain in the feet. It is best to take a B-complex pill along with magnesium and calcium if you are deficient.
Try these 10 natural remedies to balance hormones and see the difference you feel in your energy levels!