More and more people today color their gray hair to look younger. Store bought/commercial hair color products are filled with chemicals which can damage the hair’s structure. Thankfully, there is an alternative in the form of herbal hair colorants or natural hair dyes. Not only do these do a better job of coloring our hair; they are also more nourishing for the environment and our spirit. Pure herbal hair pigments are non toxic and they can sit for long periods on your hair without causing and dryness or damage. On the downside, herbal hair dyes are not permanent; so you need to use them continuously to see results. Here are some home remedies to color hair naturally brown or black.
This is the most common herbal natural hair dye for grey hair. It imparts a reddish brown color to hair. In people with blonde hair, henna can impart reddish golden hues to the hair. The effect of henna lasts for several weeks. For some people, henna tends to make the hair very dry. It is best to add some olive oil, an egg or some plain yogurt to prevent this dryness. Here is the method for mixing henna:
How to apply
Buy fresh mehendi leaves. You will need to grind them finely using some water. Alternatively, you can buy henna powder packets from online/offline stores. Use the instructions on the packet to mix your dye. You need to activate the henna for which you need to leave it untouched after mixing it with oil/water/apple cider vinegar/liquid coffee/liquid tea/yogurt/egg etc. Leave the mixture for 6-8 hours or overnight. You will see reddish due being released in the bowl. Make sure you use a glass bowl or stainless steel bowl for mixing your henna. Do not use plastic bowl. Once the henna is activated, apply it liberally all over the grays. Cover with a shower cap and leave on for 3-4 hours. Wash off with mild shampoo. Repeat application every month to maintain the color.
Henna is available in many different colors. If you do not want bright, fiery orange hues, you can choose specific henna colors like medium brown, copper, dark brown, black and even strawberry red henna! Add brewed coffee or tea and you should get a nice dark color.
2. Walnut bark
An ayurvedic natural black hair dye, walnut bark imparts light brown tinge to the hair. Soak the bark in water for 12 hours. Strain and add a bit of ammonia. Use the mixture to color hair. You can alternatively mix ½ cup ground henna powder with 1 cup of ground walnut shells and add boiling water to make a paste. Add 3 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp lemon juice. Apply the paste all over the hair. Leave on for 1 hour, then wash off.
3. Rosemary and Sage remedy to dye your hair black without dye
- ½ cup each rosemary and sage
- 2 cups hot water
In a pot, combine distilled water and the herbs and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and steep for several hours. Use all over the hair and let it remain for 1-2 hours. Wash off with mild shampoo. Repeat this hair tonic rinse weekly to maintain the dark color of hair.
4. Homemade hair dye with coffee
Brew one strong cup of espresso, let it cool and pour it all over the hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes then rinse off.
5. Sandalwood powder, olive oil and onion juice
Use this remedy for medium brown dye.
- ½ cup crushed onion peel
- ¼ cup ground sandalwood powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Boiling water as needed to make paste
Apply to hair. Leave on for 30 minutes then rinse off.
6. Potato remedy for darker hair
Cook an unpeeled potato in boiling water. Cool the water, then dip a brush or cotton pad and cover and saturate hair. Be careful not to get the water on the skin. Rinse out after 20 minutes.
7. Black tea/coffee and herbs
This is a great remedy to darken black hair. Make a strong infusion of rosemary, sage, parsley, black coffee or black tea. Use this to rinse the hair.
8. Homemade dye to enrich red color naturally
- Use strong black coffee/tea with henna. Apply all over the hair and leave on for 4 hours. Wash off with mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, use rosehip tea or hibiscus tea with strong black tea or coffee as a rinse.
9. How to lighten blonde hair
- Use chamomile tea, marigold tea or onion juice to brighten blonde hair.
- You can also use rhubarb root which is a natural yellow dye to color blonde hair naturally.
- Pour boiling water over 2/3rd cup of chamomile flowers and steep for 30 minutes. Now take the strained flowers and add finely ground rhubarb herb. Mix in olive oil and hot water from above and apply evenly all over the hair. Leave on for 30 minutes. Wash off with mild shampoo.
- Ceylonese black tea can also bring out highlights in blonde hair.
- Lemon juice can also bleach and lighten hair. Apply the juice all over the hair. Dry the hair in the sun to bleach it naturally.
- Mix 2/3rd cup of boiling water with juice and grated peel of lemon and steep for 30 minutes. Strain and then add 5ml of apple cider vinegar. Apply the mixture to washed hair and rinse off after 15 minutes. Repeat weekly.
Use these homemade hair dyes and remedies to color your hair naturally.