You must include a facial scrub as a part of your weekly skin maintenance regime. Scrubs help remove blackheads and dead skin and can also be used to reduce and prevent acne. Homemade facial scrubs can increase cell turnover and expose younger looking skin beneath. In this guide, we will study some fantastic and super easy DIY homemade scrub recipes to address various skin problems like acne, blackheads and dead skin removal. Many of these homemade facial scrubs can be safely used on sensitive skin.
Basic ingredients of homemade scrubs
Every scrub should contain the following important categories of ingredients:
- An exfoliant– Examples- sugar, salt, ground coffee, ground rice, powdered oatmeal etc
- A carrier oil or base– coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil etc.
- Essential oil– For added benefits (this is an optional ingredient). You can use oils like sandalwood, lemon or lavender for oily skin, sandalwood, geranium or rose for dry skin and chamomile, rose or neroil for sensitive skin. For acne prone skin, you can add lemon, cypress, tea tree and lavender oils to the homemade facial scrub recipes.
- Other additives– you could use apple cider vinegar, aloe vera or honey. You may also add fresh fruits (tomatoes for anti aging, strawberries to whiten and brighten skin, pineapple or papaya to remove dead skin, cucumber for puffy skin and bananas for dry skin etc).
How often should you use the homemade facial scrub
Use the scrub once a week to keep your skin looking young and fresh.
How to use the scrub
- Cleanse the face with warm water and a mild cleanser. Rinse it well.
- Take a small amount of scrub in your palm. Using your fingers, gently massage the scrub on the face in light, circular motion. Take special care around problem areas such as the nose, cheeks, chin and forehead, especially in case of blackheads.
- Massage the scrub for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Pat your skin dry.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer.
Let us now study top homemade facial scrub recipes to address different skin issues.
Related Content: Homemade Facial Mask Recipes For Glowing Skin
Top homemade facial scrub recipes
1. Basic Homemade Facial Scrub to Remove Dead Skin
- ¼ cup each of olive oil and brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 2-3 drops of essential oils suggested above (based on your skin type)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup sea salt
- 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil
2. Banana Oatmeal Facial scrub to Remove Dead Skin
- 2 tbsp mashed overripe banana
- 2 tbsp powdered oats
- 1 tbsp each of milk and honey
Mix all the ingredients and scrub the face gently. You can even let it remain on the skin for a few minutes-so this scrub recipe doubles as a facial mask too. Use this scrub once a week for glowing skin.
3. Circulation Boosting Coffee Cinnamon Orange Body Scrub
- ½ cup un-brewed coffee grounds
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp each of olive oil and orange juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2-3 drops of peppermint oil or orange essential oil
You can store this recipe in the refrigerator for up to a week. Use it all over the body for boosting circulation, reducing cellulite and as a quick ‘wake-me-up’ during the shower.
4. Homemade Strawberry Scrub for Acne
- 2 tbsp ground oatmeal
- 2 large ripe, organic strawberries crushed
Mash the strawberries and mix in the oatmeal. You can store this homemade facial scrub for acne in the fridge for up to a week. Apply to the face in gentle, circular motions. Wash off with warm water.
5. Easy 2 Ingredient Facial Scrub for Blackheads
- Distilled water
- 1-2 tbsp baking soda
Combine the ingredients to form a thick paste. Apply to the blackheads and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash with warm water. Use this facial scrub twice a week to remove stubborn blackheads.
6. Super Simple Facial Scrub for Oily Skin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 25 ml lemon juice
Mix both ingredients to form a paste. Apply to the face in gentle circular motion. Scrub for at least 3-5 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Use once a week to reduce oiliness. This facial scrub also works well on acne. Use it twice a week to remove whiteheads and blackheads.
7. Detoxifying Clay Scrub
- 100 g sea salt
- 10 g bentonite clay, or any other facial clay of your choice
- 25 g olive oil
- 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
Mix all ingredients and apply to the face and body in massaging movements. The clay helps remove toxins from the body and lemongrass uplifts your senses giving a spa like atmosphere. Use this scrub once a week to detoxify the skin and remove dead cells.
8. Avocado and Oatmeal Face Scrub for Sensitive Skin
- 2 tbsp ground oatmeal
- 1 tbsp each honey and avocado mashed
Form a thick paste of the above ingredients. Apply to the face in gentle circular motions and wash off with some warm water. Use this recipe once a week as a soothing homemade facial scrub for sensitive skin.
9. Homemade Facial Scrub for Dark Spots
- 2 tbsp honey
- Juice of one small lemon
- ¼ cup each of plain yogurt and mashed strawberries
Mix all ingredients. Apply to the skin and massage it well. Wash off with warm water. For best results, you can leave this mask on the face for 15 minutes. Use twice a week to lighten age spots and sun damage.
Use these 9 homemade facial scrub recipes and see your skin glow!