Swimming is a fun activity in the warmer months but prolonged swimming, especially in chlorinated pools, can take a toll on your skin. Here we will present some of the most important tips for skin care after swimming pool exposure.
1. Take a bath before swimming
There is a good reason why they say one must shower before entering the pool. The tap water helps moisten the skin so that it absorbs very little chlorine from the pool. This is one of the easiest remedies to protect the skin during swimming.
2. Take a bath after swimming
Another important and one of the best skin care remedies at home for the summer swimming is bathing right after swimming pool exposure. Make sure you take a shower or a tub bath after exiting the pool. Use a mild soap to wash the chlorine off the skin. You can even add some colloidal oatmeal or baking soda powder to the bath water. Dry yourself with a soft gentle towel.
3. Moisturize your skin
Apply a soothing moisturizing lotion containing natural ingredients like Aloe Vera, Cucumber etc. You can even make homemade face packs with these cooling ingredients to soothe inflamed and sun burnt skin. We have discussed some homemade skin care remedies below which you can use after swimming.
4. Always use waterproof sunscreen during swimming
One of the most important swimming skin care products to invest in is a sunscreen lotion having waterproof properties. These help prevent tanning and also protect your skin from carcinogenic UVA and UVB rays. Make sure you apply the sunscreen lotion to all exposed parts of the body including the lips, neck and feet. When not in the pool, cover your head with a wide brimmed hat or use a beach umbrella to protect your skin. If possible, avoid swimming in an uncovered pool during peak sunny hours between 11 am to 4 pm. Use sunglasses with UV protection to protect the eyes and the delicate skin around them. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
5. Stay hydrated
When you are having fun in the water, the last thing you have on your mind is dehydration. However, prolonged exposure to the sun can lead to symptoms like dizziness, fatigue and even sun stroke. So make sure you drink plenty of water. This is also important to keep your skin youthful and glowing, especially if you spend long hours on the beach or in the pool.
6. Wash the bathing costume
Swimmer’s itch is a common skin condition afflicting swimmers of all ages. It occurs due to parasites found in swimming pools and even in the sea water. These micro-organisms can cause a wide range of symptoms varying from mild redness to a severe rash. Young children are particularly at a risk to Swimmer’s Itch. To prevent it, wash your swimming costumes, towels, trunks etc thoroughly in warm water and detergent. This will kill the bacteria off and is one of the important natural skin care remedies for swimmers. If you or your loved one suffers from the rash at the beach, immediately wash the skin with cool water and use a soothing cream containing ingredients like Hydrocortisone or calamine.
7. Use emollient based creams throughout the day
Some of the best swimming skin care products are emollient based creams that can nourish and hydrate the skin, keeping it soft and healthy. There are many after-sun hydrating and moisturizing skin care products available online and in local drug stores. Your pharmacist or dermatologist can also help recommend the right remedies for skin care after swimming pool exposure. Use them liberally after swimming and several times through the day. Avoid Lanolin based products as these are too heavy and clog skin pores. They are also known to cause allergic reactions in people with sensitive skin.
8. Use hydrocortisone cream to reduce irritation
OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream is also one of the best skin care remedies at home for summer. It can relieve itchiness, irritation and redness causes by excess sun and chlorine exposure. It is also safe to use on babies and children.
9. Use following homemade skin care remedies for swimming
You can use following homemade skin care remedies before/after/during the swim:
- Make homemade sunscreen lotion-Mix together a few drops of Witch Hazel, some water and 1-2 drops of peppermint oil with quarter cup of baking soda. This is a natural sunscreen lotion which can be applied before sun exposure and swimming. You can make a large batch of this summer homemade remedy to use at the beach daily.
- Make a homemade toner to cleanse sun burnt skin– Mix few drops of fresh watermelon juice, some Vodka, some witch hazel and some distilled water. Apply it all over the face. This reduces sun damage, blemishes and soothes skin after swimming pool chlorine exposure.
- Drink Moringa herbal tea all through the day to cleanse and hydrate the skin from inside out. You can even make some Moringa tea on your own: boil Moringa leaves with some rose hips and fresh grated ginger. Steep for a few minutes and enjoy through the day.
- Make cooling antioxidant face mist-Brew some Green tea with peppermint leaves and lavender oil or lavender flowers. Steep for a few minutes. Strain the tea to remove flowers etc. Add some Aloe gel and mix well. Fill the mixture in a spray bottle and use as a mist on the skin to cool and hydrate.
Use this natural skin care for glowing this summer despite spending hours at the beach or in the swimming pool!