An abscess is a collection or pocket of pus that can for anywhere on the body. We recently covered home remedies for dental abscess and remedies to treat dental abscess pain (read it here!). Today, we will cover top home remedies for skin abscesses that typically occur on the thighs, buttocks, back or under arms. Symptoms of skin abscess include fever, pain, fatigue, heat and redness. The area with the abscess or boil may throb, increasing the discomfort. Here are top home remedies for skin abscess.
1. Apply warm compress
A hot compress can help reduce swelling and even relieve pain caused by the boil or abscess. The heat will also draw out the pus and lance the boil. At the first sign of the abscess, dip a clean washcloth in hot water and apply it to the abscess. Leave it on for 10-20 minutes, dipping it in the hot water every time it cools down. Repeat application several times a day.
2. Use a bandage
An abscess can take up to 7 days to break on its own. It is essential to use the hot compress for at least three days to relieve swelling. If the abscess breaks open, you must cover it up with a bandage to prevent infections and also to keep the drainage off your clothes.
3. Apply essential oils
Many essential oils can be used as part of the home remedies for a skin abscess on the thigh or buttocks.
- Chamomile oil, lavender oil and Tea tree oil are some of the best essential oils to treat abscesses. Dip a clean cotton cloth in hot water to which you have added a few drops of above essential oils. Apply it over the abscess and leave it on for 10 minutes or until it cools. Repeat application several times a day. Tea tree essential oil is one of the most powerful oils that can prevent infection. After the boil breaks or you have lanced it, apply tea tree oil all over it. Do this several times a day to stop pain and also prevent infections.
- John’s wort, or hypericum perforatum herb infused in olive oil can also be used on the skin abscess 2-4 times a day and covered with an adhesive bandage to keep the swelling down.
4. Best diet for preventing and healing skin abscesses and boils
Avoid eating sugar as it feeds the bacteria that cause abscesses. Eat plenty of garlic, probiotic foods like yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut etc to boost immunity. Also eat kelp, pineapple and fruits and vegetables high in vitamin A. Limit your intake of simple carbohydrates like white rice and refined flours as well as fried foods.
5. Homemade poultices and herbal home remedies for skin abscess
Several homemade poultices made with herbs can help the abscess subside quickly.
- Paste made using fenugreek seeds and water can be applied on the abscess.
- Alternatively, take 2 teaspoons of flaxseeds in cheesecloth and place it in a bowl. Add hot water on top and set aside for 10 minutes until the seeds become gelatinous. Once cooled, apply the cheesecloth to the abscess. Use this remedy twice a day for 3-4 days or until the swelling goes away.
- Make a paste of burdock leaves in water and apply it to the abscess.
- Powder up Echinacea root and make it into a paste with some water. Apply it over the abscess twice a day until it subsides.
- Activated charcoal powder- Crush pills of activated charcoal and apply the paste with little water on the abscess. Cover with a bandage.
- Bentonite clay-Buy bentonite clay from the drugstore. Mix purified or boiled water with enough quantity to make a thick paste. Apply it on the boil. This effective home remedy helps draw out the pain, heat and pus.
- Honey and iodine– This is a super anti-bacterial home remedy for abscess treatment once it has popped. The honey acts as an osmotic base that sucks out the bacteria, pus and heat from the boil. The iodine kills the germs and prevents them from spreading.
Fight the boils internally by taking herbal supplements like garlic, Echinacea and goldenseal in form of powders two times a day. Drink tea made of burdock and yellow dock root several times a day.
6. Homeopathic home remedies for abscess
Homeopathic remedies for abscess are taken based on exact symptoms:
- For lingering abscess that feels better when hot compress is applied and without much pain-take silica. You may take 2-4 pellets of 6C or 30 C potency.
- For painful abscess that feels better with heat application, take hepar sulphuris calcareum in 6C, 12 C or 30C.
7. Vitamin and mineral supplements for abscess
Recurrent abscesses indicate poor immunity or toxins in the body. It also means that your body is deficient in certain vitamins and minerals. Zinc is one of the main supplements you must take to prevent abscess. Take 30 mg zinc twice a day. You must also take vitamin C (1000 mg three times a day) for at least a week. You can also take vitamin A provided you do not have any liver problems.
8. Medicated baths
If your skin is prone to boils and abscesses, you must take precautions to keep your skin clean. You can do so with help of betadine solution bath. Also, shower instead of taking tub baths to wash away the germs once the abscess has popped.