For most smokers, it takes multiple attempts to quit smoking. This is due to the fact that nicotine is highly addictive and simply smoking one cigarette sets you to smoke another and another until you are smoking multiple cigarettes in a day. Quitting smoking can give you hundreds of health benefits ranging from fresher breath to better respiratory and circulatory health. Here are some effective home remedies to help you quit smoking.
1. Baking soda
A highly alkaline diet is the best way to quit smoking as it can also remove the nicotine from your blood. You can easily make your system more alkaline by adding baking soda to your drinking water. This remedy will help you curb nicotine cravings. Simply start your morning with a glass of warm water having baking soda dissolved in it. Repeat this remedy several times a day and particularly after your meals, until you are able to quit. You can also rinse out your tongue and mouth with baking soda to refresh and disinfect the mouth and prevent the urge for a cigarette.
2. Apple cider vinegar
Like baking soda, organic apple cider vinegar can also make your system more alkaline and throw out the nicotine from your body. Drink a glass of warm water, ACV and honey each morning. If you are not too fond of the taste of apple cider vinegar you can mix it up with some juice or blackstrap molasses. Honey is also a great remedy for quitting smoking naturally as it lowers the urge to smoke by suppressing one’s dependence on cigarettes.
3. Best foods to help you quit naturally
An alkaline diet is considered the best diet and home remedy to quit smoking. An ideal alkaline diet is one that is full of fruits, vegetables, beans, green leafy vegetables and nuts and seeds. Also include lean protein like fatty fish, turkey and chicken. Eat plenty of olives to stabilize your blood sugar and reduce unhealthy nicotine cravings. Eat small, frequent meals to stabilize blood sugar as most smokers feel the urge to smoke when their sugar levels drop.
4. Distract yourself with zero-sugar chewing gum
Chewing gum is a proven home remedy to quit smoking cigarettes naturally. Opt for sugar free varieties. You can also lick on some candy, mints, or licorice. Try sticking a straw in your mouth if this does not work. You can also use quit smoking skin patches which have helped millions of people give up their habit.
5. Herbal remedies to quit smoking
There are several herbal remedies which can be made a part of the home remedies to quit smoking fast. In fact; the best part of using herbs to quit is that some of them may also aid in appetite suppression so you do not gain weight in the process of quitting. Following herbal supplements and medication work best when quitting smoking
- Coq10 enzyme– COQ10 enzyme helps shield the lungs and heart from disastrous effects of nicotine and also stimulates the brain so you can quit smoking fast. Take 200 mg of COQ10 daily.
- Lobelia– This herbal supplement to quit smoking suppresses the body’s urge for nicotine. Use this natural remedy up to 3 times a day or every time you feel the urge to smoke. Lobelia is readily available in pharmacies and health food stores.
- Oat straw– This herbal remedy for quitting smoking is readily available in whole food shops and drugstores. It calms the nervous system when you are trying to give up tobacco. It is available in tea, extract, tincture or capsule form.
- Garlic– This is one of the best natural remedies that you must use when quitting smoking. Garlic helps open up the lungs and improves respiration that might have been impacted by smoking. Take one capsule daily or include raw or roasted garlic in your meals.
- Juniper berries– Chew on 4-5 berries per day as part of the home remedies to quit cigarette smoking. This will detoxify your system and open up the lungs.
6. Aromatherapy to quit smoking
Many essential oils and herbal remedies can be used to quit smoking. Black pepper essential oil and helichrysum both aid in tobacco detoxification. Other essential oils include orange, lime and lemon as well as grapefruit which may be applied to pulse points or used in diffusers to make your room smell fresh. You can also open the bottles of these essential oils and take a whiff when the urge to smoke hits you. If your room, car and home smell of stale cigarette smoke, sprinkle some baking soda all over, and discard all used ashtrays. This is an essential part of the home remedies which can aid you in your tobacco detox.
7. Homeopathic remedies to quit smoking
Seek help of a homeopath when using homeopathic remedies to quit smoking. However, the following remedies can also be used safely and effectively:
- Tabaccum-This is extracted from the tobacco plant and helps curb cravings.
- Nux vomica– This is an essential medication to quit smoking naturally. It is derived from neurotransmitter strychnine and can help prevent nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
- Carbo vegetablis-This is derived from charcoal and ash of birchwood. It can instill a sense of calm in smokers who are trying to quit.
Many Bach flower remedies are also available which can instill a sense of peace and calm when trying to quit cigarettes.
8. Quit cold turkey
This technique of quitting needs you to experience the withdrawal symptoms which can last for days. You do not use any medication; rather, you just quit. You must try to minimize stress in the week following your decision to quit. Meditate, exercise, eat healthy and contemplate during this period. Do practice affirmations like “everything I need is right here”.All of these things can help support you on this arduous journey.
We hope these 8 best remedies to quit smoking help you out!