Superfood smoothies are complete meals that include micro and macro nutrients. They are the healthy versions of desserts which can be had at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Many people have made juicing and smoothie making a part of their lifestyle and are seeing incredible benefits from doing so. Apart from healthy weight loss, these superfood smoothie recipes will give you the following results:
- More energy
- Healthier skin, nails and hair
- Stronger immunity-fewer illnesses
- Less time in the kitchen!
- Reduced sugar cravings
- Improved digestion
- Better sleep
While it is best to start slowly, the ultimate goal is to increase your intake of these healthy superfood smoothies for all three meals. So, in the beginning, you can have a smoothie for breakfast with regular lunch and dinner. Later, try to increase your intake to two smoothies per day. Do this for 30 days and see the difference. Make sure you consume all the freshly made smoothies immediately. Also ensure getting enough calories per meal, so you do not feel deficient, especially when following a raw food diet.
What are superfoods?
Superfoods help overcome nutritional deficiencies and provide your body with everything you need to fill in the gaps in order to make your skin glow, your hair shine with health and your body feel more energetic. Let us now move on to the ingredients for the superfood smoothie recipes:
Best ingredients to use in superfood smoothie recipes
- For thin smoothies, use walnut milk, fruit juices, coconut water.
- For thicker smoothies use avocado, dates, chia seeds, bananas, berries, psyllium husk, coconut oil, apples etc.
- For creamier smoothies, use coconut milk, milk, rice milk, almond milk, cashews, mango bananas.
Always use local fresh fruits and vegetables. Where possible, opt for raw, organic ingredients. There is no limitation as to what you can and cannot use in your smoothies. Play around with the herbs, spices, nuts and seeds. You can also use nut butters, oils, and other ingredients you love.
Smoothie making instructions
A word of caution: in the beginning, when you are new to making smoothies, do not be surprised if you end up with horrible tasting smoothies. Over time, you will be able to recognize which ingredients work best and ones that do not. So, be as creative as you can, and do not let bad-tasting smoothies deter you!
- Each smoothie recipe given below is one large serving-adjust the quantity to change the serving size.
- If you are using frozen ingredients you may have to adjust the quantity accordingly.
Best superfood smoothie recipes
1. Weight loss smoothie
- 1 ½ cups water or coconut milk
- 1 handful of spinach or kale or Swiss chard. (You can use any dark leafy green vegetable you like)
- 1 cup each carrot, beet, celery chopped and frozen berries
- ¼ cup each of cacao nibs and raw Goji berries
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp each flax seeds, chia seeds and coconut oil
Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add ice cubes if desired. Drink fresh.
2. Raw superfood protein smoothie recipe
- 2 cups each spinach and unsweetened almond milk
- 4 pears
- 1 banana fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp cinnamon
In a Vitamix or high powered blender, blend the spinach and milk until smooth. Add fruits and blend again. Top it with cinnamon.
3. Berry blast superfood smoothie
The mesquite powder used in this recipe has a creamy texture and also imparts a hint of sweetness to your smoothie. Mesquite is a grinded legume and a superfood having very low glycemic load.
- ½ cup each of fresh or frozen strawberries, raspberries, mulberries and blueberries
- 1 cup red grapes
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup rosehip tea cooled (or 1 cup water)
- 2 tbsp mesquite powder
Mix all ingredients and run them through a blender until smooth.
4. Chocolate almond smoothie
This recipe requires superfood shake powder, preferably in chocolate flavor.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen banana
- 2 tbsp each almond butter, and flax/chia/hemp seeds
- 1 scoop of superfood shake powder in chocolate flavor
- A little honey to sweeten the smoothie
Blend together milk and banana until smooth. Add the butter and seeds and blend for a few more minutes. Add the protein powder and honey. Serve immediately.
5. Superfood Goji berry smoothie
Goji berries contain even more beta carotene than that found in carrots. It has 21 trace minerals and 50 times the vitamin C content of oranges.
- ¼ cup Goji berries
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup mango-fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
Blend all ingredients until smooth and drink immediately.
6. Brain alert smoothie!
With its raw cacao and maca powder, this antioxidant smoothie will keep you fresh and energetic all day.
- 2 cups peaches chopped in pieces
- 2 bananas and oranges also in pieces
- 2 tbsp baobab powder
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tbsp each lucuma, cacao and maca powders.
Blend all ingredients until smooth.
7. Calcium rich sesame seed smoothie
Sesame seeds have tons of health benefits. They are rich in calcium and omega 3 essential fatty acids and can give you stronger nails, hair and teeth. They are also required for healthy glowing skin.
- 2 cups each of blueberries and strawberries
- 1 tbsp each chlorella powder and raw cacao powder
- 4 tbsp black or white sesame seeds
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
Blend all ingredients for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
The above delicious superfood smoothie recipes are great for weight loss, stronger nails and healthier, shinier hair as well as a glowing skin. Try them for a week and slowly increase their intake until you are comfortable having a smoothie for each meal. Enjoy!