If you are wondering whether there is a natural cure for shingles, the answer is yes. Shingles can be treated at home with supplements, proper diet and natural homemade salves. However, you must continue using these best natural remedies for months to come because, even if the shingles rash disappears, you might continue experiencing chronic nerve pain. Do read our article on nerve pain natural remedies to assist with that. Below are some simple yet effective shingles natural remedies.
1. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar shingles treatment is one of the most popular and also the most effective of all natural remedies for herpes. Use a clean cloth or sterile cotton wool to dab raw, organic apple cider vinegar on the painful areas of the rash. Use this remedy twice a day to see quick results. You can even take apple cider vinegar internally to fight inflammation and strengthen the body. Add a tablespoon of organic ACV to a glass of orange juice or water and drink up (3 times a day before meals). With internal and topic use of this natural shingles remedy, you will experience lesser pain and the lesions will dry up and shrivel in no time.
2. Aloe vera Coconut oil and Cayenne pepper
Intensify your war on varicella zoster virus with a salve composed of coconut oil, Aloe gel and cayenne pepper. Apply the salve to the burning, painful lesions at least 4 times a day. Cayenne pepper attacks the virus, while Aloe soothes the burning. Coconut oil for shingles provides antimicrobial effect to kill the virus, heal and soothe the skin, and destroy the infection from its roots. Continue using this salve even after you feel better.
3. Best essential oils for shingles
Aromatherapy essential oils for shingles provide anti-inflammatory properties to soothe the nerve pain and also eliminate the herpes virus. Some of the best essential oil remedies for shingles treatment are: Peppermint (cooling, relaxing), Lavender (sedative, calming), Tea tree oil (antiviral)and eucalyptus oil (cooling, nervine, sedative and anti-inflammatory). You can mix all of the oils (or choose one or two oils) with carrier oils like coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil or sweet almond oil. Dab the blend on the rash multiple times a day. Not only will this stop pain and inflammation, but also relieve the nerve pain or neuralgia caused by the virus. Other top essential oils for shingles treatment include Geranium, Neem, Ravensara, Basil, Calophyllum inophyllum (Tamanu oil) and Garlic oil all of which have strong antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Best supplements to take to cure shingles in 3 days
When you first notice the signs of Shingles rash, take the following supplements to strengthen your immune system and natural defense against the Herpes virus:
- Vitamin C– Talk to your doctor about IV vitamin C which can considerably reduce nerve pain and improve quality of life. Continue taking at least 1000 mg of Vitamin C daily.
- Vitamin B 12– Taking high doses of Vitamin B 12 is a time honored natural shingles remedy. Take at least 1000 to 2000 mcg of Vitamin B12 in divided doses through the day until symptoms subside.
- L-lysine – Take between 1500 to 3000 mg of L-lysine which strengthens immunity to defend herpes zoster virus.
- Folic acid- 800 mg three times a day.
- Garlic oil supplement– Take nearly 5000 mg of garlic oil internally for its antiviral properties.
- Elderberry extract- Take up to 2000 mg of Elderberry extract to fight the virus.
- Licorice root- Many patients have seen great results with this remedy for shingles. Take up to 2000 mg of licorice root extract daily.
- Beta Glucan is an immune booster. Take the dose as directed on the label.
- Olive leaf extract– This is a wonderful shingles remedy. Apply topically and also take interally.
5. DMSO and colloidal silver
Make a salve by mixing together the following:
- 10 capsules each of Cayenne and Vitamin E oil
- 20 drops each of colloidal silver and DMSO
- Corn starch
Mix the above ingredients to make a paste. Apply it all over the rash on chest, breasts, face, armpits and back for instant relief from nerve pain.
6. Shingles natural treatment with honey
Manuka honey can stop the pain and relieve itchiness, burning and oozing of the lesions. Apply manuka honey all over the rash and avoid covering up; let the honey air dry. Repeat application every few hours.
7. Dietary changes
Dietary changes are also very important when it comes to treating herpes naturally. There are many foods to avoid with shingles, and the main one is sugar. Sugar aggravates inflammation and intensifies the pain. Also avoid refined flour, fried foods etc. Eat plenty of flax seeds, fresh fruits and vegetables and also include garlic in your diet. What not to eat when you have shingles? Certainly avoid chocolates, coffee and alcohol. Drink herbal teas with lemon, ginger, lavender and chamomile etc.
There is a cure for shingles and these 7 remedies will surely help you.
Image: via Healthline