The kidneys are vital organs that filter the blood and maintain homeostasis for the body. These highly sensitive and delicate organs are prone to disorders such as formation of kidney stones, congestion and in extreme cases, failure. Today we will study some herbal kidney tonic foods that can strengthen them and also prevent kidney failure in humans.
1. Kidney tonic recipe
Kidney tonic recipe strengthens kidneys and improve the functioning of the urinary tract. Many herbalists prescribe kidney tonic recipe for avoiding kidney failure in humans. Take a combination of following herbs in the form of a tea for a period of 3-6 weeks or as recommended by your herbalist. There are two categories of herbs for the kidneys. The lithotriptic category of herbs dissolve kidney stones while the demulcent category protects tissues of the bladder and urethra.
Lithotriptic herbs for kidney cleanse
- Cat’s claw
- Uva Ursi
- Golden rod herb
- Corn silk
- Dandelion root
- Juniper berry
Demulcent herbs for kidneys
- Comfrey root
- Aloe Vera
- Licorice root
- Marshmallow root
- Slippery elm
- Mullein root
You can steep these herbs in hot water for a few minutes and sip on the tea 4 times a day, 2 hours before meals.
Astragalus is one of the most powerful kidney tonic foods. Traditional Chinese Medicine recommends this herb for strengthening the kidneys as well as the heart. It regulates sodium levels to prevent water retention.
If you are looking for supplements to support kidney function, flaxseeds and flaxseeds oil capsules have to be on your list. A study showed that participants who took flaxseeds improved blood circulation which benefited heart health as well as kidney function.
4. Dong Quai
One of the best Chinese herbs for kidneys is Dong Quai. Dong quai is popularly known as women’s herb but it also benefits anyone with kidney problems. It has a protective influence on this delicate organ.
Kidney tonic Ayurvedic recipe contains saffron as it is known to prevent kidney infections. Women suffering frequently from bladder infections may consume saffron regularly to see results.
6. Apple cider vinegar
Any infection or disorder of the kidneys indicates that your system is too acidic. So take apple cider vinegar to make the body alkaline. You may also take lime juice and baking soda with water to alkalize the body.
Take 1/8th tsp of Borax in a glass of water and drink 3-4 glasses of this mixture daily.
Kidney detox steps
Doing a detox cleanse can help strengthen the kidneys by removing toxins and heavy metals from the body. Here are the steps:
- Fasting– For 2 days, drink only fresh fruit juices, kidney tonic soup (recipe below), herbal teas and water. Avoid solid food and especially stay away from processed foods, red meat and sugary beverages. Drink plenty of water.
- Do a detox soak– You can soak in a tub bath with warm water mixed with a cup of Epsom salts, some Borax powder, ½ cup baking soda and 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide. Soak in this bathwater for 30 minutes, twice a day. Make sure your water is devoid of chlorine and fluoride. If needed, use fish tank de-chlorinators as required.
- Avoid aspartame, MSG, artificial dyes, alcohol, excess caffeine, artificial sweeteners and aluminum coated pans. Limit use of plastics.
- Strive to eat- Organic and fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes and grains.
- Use castor oil packs- Placing warm castor oil packs over the kidneys can promote lymphatic drainage and purge toxins from the kidneys.
Massage using magnesium oil
People deficient in magnesium are prone to kidney infections. So use magnesium oil spray and massage the skin. If you have stinging sensation, mix the oil with a bit of castor oil or sweet almond oil before use.
Kidney tonic soup recipe
Here is a simple kidney tonic soup recipe:
- Leeks-cleaned and chopped
- Parsnips-peeled and cubed
- Turnips-peeled and cubed
- Potatoes-peeled and cubed
- Carrots- chopped
- Celery-cleaned and chopped
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Herbs (oregano, thyme) and seasoning
In a heavy bottom sauce pan, add a bit of olive oil. Add crushed garlic and fry for a bit. Next, add all the vegetables and fry. Cover and let the vegetables soften. Add the stock and boil until all vegetables are cooked. You can now puree the soup and season it with herbs as needed.
Use these kidney tonic herbs, supplements and recipes to strengthen your kidneys naturally.