Nerve pain is usually temporary and most sufferers feel better after 4-5 days. Also, in majority of the cases, nerve pain goes away completely after 6-8 weeks. So, there is really no need for panic when you experience nerve pain in arms, legs or feet. If the pain is interfering with your sleep at night, try these all-natural ‘pinched nerve pain’ relief remedies.
1. Ice it quickly
In case of sciatica nerve pain, the pain stretches all the way from the back and buttocks and quickly travels down to the legs. This kind of pain is very common in young people who are active. In a few cases, surgery may be needed, but home remedies can also help. One of the best remedies for sciatica nerve pain relief is using an ice compress. Make a cold compress with ice cubes wrapped in a thin clean cloth and apply it to the area with pain. Ice the region for 20 minutes at least. Repeat every few hours. For some patients, alternating nerve pain relief ice and heat compress works better.
2. Best herbal remedies for nerve pain relief
- Salicylate herbs-The earliest pain relieving herbs were salicylate bearing compounds which are found in white willow bark, black cohosh, wintergreen and meadowsweet. You can get these herbs in the form of powders, liquid tincture or extracts. Talk to your herbalist about taking these nerve pain relief remedies.
- Cortisol mimicking herbs– Licorice, yam and yucca also mimic the cortisol hormone’s anti-inflammatory action which can help alleviate nerve pain in the arm, legs, and feet.
- Herbal nerve tonics– For treating and preventing nerve damage, muscle weakness and numbness, use the following nerve tonics: Skullcap, Cramp bark, Oat seed and St John’s Wort. You can use them for massage or even take these internally for their nervous system tonic properties.
- Anti-inflammatory herbs– Valeria, grape seed extract, Bromelian, Rosemary, chamomile, feverfew, Yarrow, Devil’s Claw, Celery seed, Angelica and Willow bark are all anti-inflammatory and stop pain and inflammation quickly.
3. Exercise to release cortisol
The body produces its own anti-inflammatory hormone called cortisol and the corticosteroid hormones given for nerve damage all mimic this hormone. You can also stimulate cortisol hormone production through exercise. Stretches, yoga and brisk walking are some of the best exercises to reduce nerve damage pain. Following are simple stretches for nerve pain relief in the feet:
- Lie on the bed or on a yoga mat. Bring your knee to your chest. Hold for a few seconds. Repeat with other leg. Do 3 sets 3 times a day.
- Bring both knees to the chest and hold for 2-3 minutes. Repeat 3-4 times daily.
Walk daily for 20-40 minutes (or at least 3 times a week). You can even walk inside your house or at work.
4. Essential oil massage for nerve pain relief
Many essential oils can be used effectively to relieve nerve pain and nerve damage symptoms without associated side effects brought by conventional drugs. Use the following oils for massaging deep into the skin where the nerve pain is worst: clove, cardamom, birch nutmeg, lavender, patchouli and sage are some of the best essential oils for massaging away nerve pain. Always use these oils diluted (mix them with coconut or olive oils) to prevent allergic reactions or burns. Clove oil is also beneficial for dental nerve pain as well as nerve pain caused by shingles. You can also diffuse essential oils like chamomile, cedarwood, frankincense, marjoram, jasmine, vetiver and sandalwood to soothe the nerves or mix them with your nerve pain relief cream to make it even more effective.
5. Nerve damage treatment vitamins
A number of supplements can be used for treating nerve damage:
- Vitamin D– This is a powerful antioxidant and immune system regulator. It prevents destruction of the myelin sheath of the nerves.
- B vitamins-These are needed for healthy brain and nervous function. Vitamin B 6 prevents formation of prostaglandin 2 which causes inflammation in the body. Vitamin B 12 is needed for formation and maintenance of myelin membrane and a deficiency of this vitamin prevents the membrane from repairing itself. Over the long term, B vitamin deficiency can lead to nerve destruction. Take at least 1000 mg of B 12 (methylocobalamin) daily.
- Vitamin C is a water soluble antioxidant which you must add to your daily supplement regime as it gets depleted from the body.
- Fish oil is an important supplement for treating peripheral neuropathy.
- Take 1000 to 1200 g of calcium and 400 mg of magnesium
6. Diet for nerve pain relief
Avoid deep fried foods, hydrogenated fats and saturated fats. Focus on a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid red meat, caffeine, aspartame etc. Sugar substitutes contribute to destruction of the nerves and lead to muscle fatigue, dizziness, nerve pain etc.
- Garlic- Take plenty of crushed garlic as it is anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric- Eat a teaspoon of turmeric in milk daily to prevent nerve pain at night.
- Ginger- This is a wonderful anti-inflammatory herb.
Eat fiber rich foods to avoid constipation which can aggravate sciatic nerve pain.
There are many other natural home remedies for nerve pain in legs at night and you can also check out our article for back pain relief discussed here.