There are no specific superfoods for women and what is good for a man is also usually great for a woman. That said; there are certain food groups that are specifically beneficial for a woman’s reproductive system, uterus and ovaries. Also, these food groups can lead to healthy weight loss for women who plan on eating healthy or losing weight in 2017. Today, we are going to talk about specific superfood groups for women’s health.
1. Whole grains (Fiber and protein)
Today, many women react to the word carbohydrates the way people in Tokyo react to the word Godzilla. Not all carbs are bad. Whole grains are especially necessary for women looking for a sustainable way of losing weight. Cutting out all of the carbs from your diet often leads to constipation and can even cause high cholesterol and other issues. Choose healthy whole grains like quinoa, oats, millet, sorghum, brown rice etc. While selecting pastas and breads, always go for the whole grain varieties that are packed with proteins and fiber.
Good news: Researchers at Penn University found that women who ate whole grains lost 2.4 times the belly fat than those who chose refined grains.
2. Turkey and lean meat (Protein)
Every woman needs at least 1 gram of protein per kilogram of her body weight. So, if you weigh about 122 lbs you’d need at least 55 grams of proteins per day. How can you get this superfood group daily? The key is to eat more eggs, lean meat such as turkey, chicken and fish. Low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, oats, beans and cornmeal can also provide you with tons of proteins.
Goal: Aim to get at least 2 servings from this group (eggs, poultry etc). Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so start it right with protein and complex healthy carbs.
3. Beans legumes and lentils (Proteins fiber and more)
All kinds of beans-red beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, peas, black beans etc are packed with nutrition that a woman’s health needs. Beans contain Molybdenun, Fiber, B-vitamins, Copper, Manganese, Phosphorus, Proteins and Iron. A study has shown that consuming red beans or chickpeas daily can lower risk of heart attack by a whopping 82%.
4. Eggs and dairy
It is a myth that eggs increase cholesterol. This is not true and the fact is that eggs are very good for you and your heart and they are the superfoods for a healthy uterus and ovaries as well. Dieters who ate whole eggs without bread or bagel for 5 weeks lost 65% more weight. You may eat up to 6 eggs a week according to the Heart Foundation without increasing risk of heart disease. Women must also drink a glass of low fat milk every day. Dairy can lower risk of heart disease thanks to its Vitamin D content. Low fat yogurt and cheese are also great superfoods for women. Reach out for 2% or skim milk and if you are lactose intolerant, opt for almond or cashew milk.
5. Colorful fruits and berries
The more colorful the fruit platter, the healthier it is for you. Apples, berries, oranges, pineapples and other seasonal fruits can provide you with antioxidants and phytochemicals and different colored fruits provide you with different nutrients. Blueberries are especially considered outstanding superfoods for women heart health and they can even lower blood pressure. Goji berries are next in line as they contain 500 times more vitamin C than oranges in same weight.
Goal: Aim to get at least 4 servings of fruits and at least one serving of this should be blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, cranberries etc. Apples and bananas are great too. Both are rich in vitamin A, folate and potassium.
6. Nuts and seeds
Nuts and seeds are ideal for snacking if you do not want to gain weight. They are also great for women looking to consume more superfoods for maintaining reproductive health, weight management etc. Walnuts are the best in this category-they contain even more Omega 3 essential fatty acid than salmon. Flax seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are also rich in Vitamin E which is a super nutrient for the heart.
Goal– Aim for at least one serving per day.
Ideal Meal Plan for Women
- Breakfast is the main meal of the day. Eat as much protein you can here.Smoothies, low fat yogurt, eggs, whole wheat bread, oats, are all great choices. Milk and dairy is also a good food group here.
- Lunch– Lunch should contain at least three representatives from fruits, vegetables, and legume category. Soups and salads are ideal choices here. Add in some healthy protein as well as good fats (olive oil, avocado) along with dairy, whole grains etc.
- Dinner– Aim to get at least 1-2 servings of green leafy vegetables. Make a salad with leafy greens and olive oil. Research shows that people who start their dinner with salads eat nearly 12% less, than those who do not. Main course may be lean meat, whole grains etc. Twice a week, aim to eat fish such as salmon. It can lower your risk of heart disease and protect your cells from damage.
- Snacks– You cannot stay healthy or lose weight if you do not snack in between meals. Aim for healthy snacks like fruits, berries, yogurt, cheese, nuts and seeds. Whole grain cereals with low fat milk, guacamole or bean-dip with whole grain crackers or vegetables etc are some ideal snacks.
Try these superfoods for women and get healthier in 2017.