If you are starting to notice dead skin, wrinkles, acne and blackheads on your face it is time for you to exfoliate. You can always use a homemade facial scrub for this purpose; however, the best exfoliation can only be brought about by skin peels. Skin peels, face peels or chemical peels work at a deeper level of the dermis where they stimulate collagen production to reduce acne scars, wrinkles, fine lines and age spots. Regular use of chemical peels can help you maintain your youthful radiance. However, chemical peels at spas and salons can be quite expensive. Why go the professional expensive route, when you can make these face peels right in the comfort of your home? Today, we will consider six easy DIY homemade face peels and natural peeling masks for eradicating dark spots, blackheads, dead skin and wrinkles.
Some terms you should know when making homemade natural peeling masks
- Exfoliation– The process of removing dead, dry skin and revealing fresh, younger looking skin beneath.
- AHA or Alpha Hydroxy Acids– These increase the exfoliation and cause the skin to peel. Used regularly, AHA can make your skin smoother, softer and brighter. Examples: Glycolic acid, Lactic acid, Malic acid etc
- BHA or Beta Hydroxy Acids– These are especially recommended for blackheads and acne prone or oily skin. They penetrate the sebum in the skin pores and clear it. There is only one BHA –salicylic acid.
- Enzymes– Enzymes are even better than AHA for exfoliation and can reverse skin damage.
Glycolic acid AHA Types
You can make natural skin peeling masks and homemade face peels for dead skin using common kitchen ingredients:
- Glycolic acid- Sugar cane (use brown organic sugarcane)
- Lactic acid- Milk (use goat’s milk)
- Malic acid- Apples and pears (use organic only)
- Citric acid- Oranges, lemons and other citrusy fruits
- Tartaric acid- Grapes (black or red grapes are best)
Before you proceed with homemade face peel for wrinkles and dead skin
- Steam your face first. This opens the pores and makes your skin more receptive to the acids.
- Leave on each mask for no more than 10 minutes. Follow up with a toner and moisturizer.
- For very sensitive skin types, do a patch test first.
- It is natural to feel slight tingling when using strong homemade chemical peel masks. This means that the ingredients are working to exfoliate the skin.
- If your skin breaks out following these homemade facials, avoid use.
6 Effective homemade skin peel recipes
1. Homemade AHA fruit mask
- 1 tsp each pure apple juice, papaya, lemon, and grape juice
- 2-3 drops of pure water
Mix the juices with the water. Apply on clean, dry skin with fingers. Cover the face and neck with this strong homemade face mask. Let it remain for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
2. Lactic acid strong homemade chemical mask for dead skin
- 2-3 tsp or goat milk or whole cow’s milk with cream
- ½ tsp honey
Warm the milk and mix it with honey. Use your fingertips to apply the mixture all over the face and neck. Leave on for 5-10 minutes before rinsing clean. Repeat this treatment once every 10 days.
3. Homemade skin peel for dark spots
For dark spots and dead skin, you want the skin to peel faster. Here is a surprisingly simple yet very strong chemical peel with citric acid.
- 1 -2 pieces of fruits like strawberries, papaya, etc
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Mix the two crushed fruits with lemon juice. Apply them on the dark spots or cover the entire face and neck. The mixture will sting a bit. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes, then wash off with warm water. Do not use soap to cleanse the skin. Also avoid stepping out into the sun when using this strong chemical mask as it can make your skin highly susceptible to sun damage. Use this recipe once a week for best results. Also continue applying sunscreen lotion every day to prevent dark spots.
4. Homemade salicylic acid face peel
Aspirin contains natural salicylic acid. This fights acne and blackheads and relieves inflammation of the skin. The citric acid in this homemade face peel for blackheads reveals cleaner, brighter and lighter skin.
- 4-5 aspirin tablets
- Juice of half a lemon
Dissolve the aspirin in a bit of filtered water and add the juice of lemon or lime. Mix them well and apply all over the face. Leave it on for 10 minutes before washing off with warm water. This is a wonderful homemade face mask for acne.
5. Homemade grape cleanser/scrub recipe
Grapes are high in tartaric acid which is an AHA. Use this recipe to lighten and brighten skin tone.
- 2-3 red grapes
Split the grapes and rub their skin and flesh on your skin. Wash off with warm water.
6. Sugarcane and papaya facemask for dark spots
- ½ tsp sugarcane juice
- 1 tsp papaya pulp
Mix the ingredients and apply on face and neck. Leave on for 20 minutes. Wash off to reveal brighter skin. Repeat this treatment once or twice a week to reduce ark spots and dead skin.
Use any (or all) of these homemade chemical peel recipes and see the difference in your skin!