Our lips are extremely delicate which is why they need protection from harsh environmental elements all year round. The lip balm is one such protection which we can use for our lips. A good lip balm containing SPF can help protect the lips against tanning and UV damage. Also, lip balms can protect our lips from extreme hot or cold conditions by creating a protective barrier and locking in the moisture. Commercially available lip balms are full of chemicals and artificial ingredients, fragrances or dyes. EOS lip balms are the latest craze but they are rather expensive. Many commercial lip balms can cause allergic reactions and hence, it is best to use simple DIY lip balms containing all natural and gentle ingredients. Let us study some of these DIY lip balm recipes.
1. DIY lip balm recipe without beeswax
Most lips balms; natural and commercial ones- contain beeswax. If you do not have beeswax at home, then this recipe without beeswax will suit your needs.
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp petroleum jelly or Vaseline
- Your favorite essence- like rose, lavender, strawberry
- ½ tsp of extracts of your choice-vanilla, almond or any other extracts
Mix the first two ingredients. Melt them in a microwave for a few seconds. Add the essence and extracts. Mix well until blended. Store the mixture in an empty, clean container. Keep refrigerated until use. Use it on the lips twice daily before going out.
2. DIY lip balm with beet juice
This is a simple DIY natural lip balm with beeswax which will give your lips a natural red color.
- Beet juice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup each of castor oil and beeswax
Melt beeswax in microwave or on a stove top. Remove from heat and add the castor oil and sesame oil. Mix well. Add as much beet juice as desired for color. Store in a jar and keep refrigerated.
3. DIY EOS lip balm
Those eos lip balms are so cute!But the downside to them is they are rather expensive-so why not make your own diy eos lip balm? They come in colorful cute containers and once the container is empty you can easily make your own DIY eos lip balm with the following recipe:
- 3 tbsp grated unbleached beeswax
- 5 tbsp carrier oils like sunflower oil, sweet almond oil, Jojoba oil or castor oil etc
- 6-7 drops of essential oils of your choice (Lemon, rose, lavender, tangerine, grapefruit etc)
- 1 tsp honey
- Old lipstick for color
- In a double boiler, melt the beeswax and carrier oil.
- Keep stirring until combined.
- Remove from heat and add the honey. Mix well.
- Next, add the essential oil.
- To add color, drop in a bit of on old lipstick and pour the mixture in the eos container.
- If you want glossier lip balm, use 2 teaspoons of wax and 8 tbsp carrier oil.
Diy eos lip balm is super easy to store in empty eos lip balm containers which can be filled over and over with these easy all natural lip balm recipes.
4. All natural easy DIY lip balm with Avocado oil and coconut oil
Avocado is nature’s gift to mankind. It contains essential fatty oils that protect the lips keeping them soft, smooth and healthy. Regular use of this easy DIY lip balm containing vitamin E oil can prevent chapped, dry lips while the coconut oil in it can heal bleeding lips.
- 20 grams white beeswax
- 35 grams coconut oil
- 35 grams avocado oil
- 17 grams Shea or mango butter
- 1 gram Vitamin E oil
- 1 packet Stevia for sweetness
- French Vanilla flavoring-20 drops
- Lip tint or color (optional)
- Weigh all ingredients.
- In a double boiler, melt the beeswax and mango butter.
- Measure the oils and add them to the still hot beeswax and butter mixture. You do not remove the mixture from heat at this point- but do be careful that it does not get too hot or start burning.
- At this point you add the crushed stevia. You do not add it directly- rather you need to use a pull string tea bag to do so. Add the crushed stevia to the tea bag and then dip the bag in the hot oils. Stir the bag so that the finer particles of stevia get dispersed in the oil. This should not take more than a minute. Remove the bag and squeeze it out to get all the oil out of it.
- Discard the tea bag containing larger particles of Stevia.
- Next, add the flavoring.
- Mix well.
- Add the French Vanilla or lip tint.
- Use pipettes to transfer the prepared mixture in lip balm containers.
5. DIY lip balm with crayons and Vaseline
Yes- you read that right! You can make DIY lip balm with non toxic crayons-the kind that babies could eat if they want without causing any harm! Here is the recipe:
- 2 parts coconut oil
- 1 part beeswax
- ¼ to ½ tsp of crayon
- 6-8 drops of Vitamin E oil
- Grate the bees wax with a cheese grater.
- In a heat safe bowl, melt the wax and the oil together.
- Chop the crayon in small pieces.
- Melt the crayon using a candle. Take care when doing this.
- Pour the melted crayon in the melted wax and oil.
- Pour it in a jar.
- Have fun making DIY colorful lip balms with different colors!
6. Honey almond DIY lip balm without essential oil
This next DIY lip balm with coconut oil and honey contains no essential oil but the honey keeps your lips super moisturized. You will also need liquid lecithin.
- 15 grams each of coconut oil, beeswax and sweet almond oil
- 5 g honey
- 5 g of liquid lecithin
- Melt wax and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Add in the lecithin and sweet almond oil.
- Stir well.
- Next, add the honey.
- Remove from heat and whisk well until the mixture emulsifies.
- Quickly pour in the lip balm containers without a lit to cool it further. Once cool, add a label and cover with a lid.
Use these easy diy lip balm natural recipes and protect your lips all year round.