Our skin is our connection to the outer world and we unknowingly expose it to toxins and chemicals through our makeup. Many commercial lipsticks and lip balms from top brands are now proven to contain lead- a heavy metal that is known to cause many health issues. To avoid these chemicals and toxins, you can make your own lipstick at home. Homemade matte lipstick is easy to make and you only need some simple ingredients like beet juice, crayons and coconut oil etc. The recipes discussed below are very easy and you can make your lipsticks in many different shades. The downside to these recipes is that they contain no preservatives; so once they go rancid, you will need to chuck them out and make a new one from scratch.
1. Homemade lipstick with Vaseline
- 1 tsp each coconut oil an Vaseline
- Beetroot powder or glitter or eyeshadow. You can also add old broken lipsticks to this recipe. Simply mix 2-3 different shades for a new color.
- In a hot water bath or double broiler, add all ingredients.
- Mix well.
- You can add any essential oils you like-peppermint essential oil is a great choice.
- Fill up the mixture in an old lipstick container or tiny glass jar.
- Refrigerate until the lipstick is solid.
2. Homemade matte lipstick with Beeswax and Shea butter
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 2 tbsp of Jojoba oil/coconut oil/olive oil or sweet almond oil
- 1 tbsp Shea butter
- 1 tsp Aloe Vera gel
- 1-2 tsp eye shadow color of your choice. You can also use Mica powder. Do not use food colors.
- Grate the required quantity of beeswax.
- Mix the Jojoba oil.
- Melt the above mixture in a double broiler.
- Add the eye shadow or mica powder.
- Also add the shea butter.
- Mix well and remove from heat.
- Add the Aloe vera gel and mix thoroughly.
- Use syringes to fill the melted mixture in empty lipstick containers.
You can add some glitter to make the lipstick glittery.
3. Natural lipstick with beetroot
Beetroot juice imparts a beautiful deep red color to homemade lipstick recipes. This is a liquid lipstick recipe. You can store this for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- A few slices of beetroot juiced to yield at least 2 tsp beetroot juice. You can, alternatively use beetroot powder that is readily available online.
- ½ tsp Aloe Vera gel
- 5 drops of glycerin.
- Mix the beetroot juice, Aloe Vera and glycerin. Whisk well to combine.
- Store the liquid lipstick with beetroot juice in the refrigerator and use it within 7 days.
- To solidify this recipe and make it creamier and matte, add a teaspoon of foundation to it. This will give you a lighter shade of red.
4. Homemade lipstick with crayons
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- One inch of a crayon of any color you like.
Fill a saucepan with some water. On medium heat, bring the water to a gentle boil. We are basically creating a double broiler using this method. Take an empty, clean glass jar and place it in the hot water bath. Place the coconut oil in the jar and melt it. Add the crayon and with a stick or skewer, move it around until it is melted. You can add some more crayon depending on how matte or dark you want the lipstick to be. Remove from heat. Fill up the liquid in a container. Refrigerate. Use different crayons to make gorgeous natural lipstick at home!
5. Natural homemade lipstick from scratch with cranberries
- 1 tbsp sweet almond oil
- 10 cranberries-fresh
- 1-2 drops of Vitamin E oil
- 1 tsp honey
In a double broiler, heat all ingredients so they just start to bubble and boil. Remove from heat. Crush the berries. Cool slightly and then strain the mixture using a fine sieve. Stir again. Cool completely before transferring contents to a lipstick container.
6. Easy recipe to make lipstick with beetroot
- ¼ cup each beeswax and castor oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Beet root juice
Melt beeswax and oils. Add as much beet juice as desired. Store in a jar. Refrigerate.