Now that winter is here, you need body butters to heal, protect and soothe your dry skin. DIY homemade body butters are easy to make and you can use them to pamper your skin. You can even gift homemade butters and your friends will love you for your thoughtfulness. Many body butter recipes discussed here can be made easily without needing any special tools or gadgets.Before we discuss body butter recipes, here are some tips to make the most out of the experience:
Salient features of body butters
- Use body butters after showering to lock in the moisture; the butter seals the moisture in keeping your skin soft and supple.
- Compared to heavy creams and lotions, body butters are absorbed more quickly.
- You can use homemade body butter all over your body or simply for problem areas like elbows and knees.
- Body butters ideally contain Cocoa butter, Mango butter, Shea butter or Coconut oil along with essential oils, herbs and fragrances.
- You do not need any special tools or ingredients to make your DIY homemade body butters. In general, you may need the following: a wire whisk, clean bowls and glass bottles or jars as well as measuring spoons, scales and droppers to measure the oils. You will also need an electric mixer to whip the ingredients into a creamy consistency. To melt the butter, you can use a double broiler.
Easy DIY Homemade Body Butter Recipes
1. Antiseptic Coconut oil body butter with Tea Tree
- ½ cup Coconut oil
- 10 drops Tea tree oil
- 15 drops Jojoba oil
- 6 tsp Cocoa butter
- In a double broiler, melt Coconut oil and Cocoa butter.
- Transfer to a clean bowl and whisk in Jojoba oil.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove and beat the mixture in an electric mixer.
- Add tea tree oil. Blend.
- Store in an empty glass jar.
2. Anti wrinkle body butter recipe without Coconut oil
- 2 oz. Shea butter
- 1 tsp each Argan oil and Rosehip Seed oil
- 40 drops Carrot seed oil
- Melt the Shea butter.
- Remove from heat and add Rosehip, Argan and Carrot seed oils. Mix well.
- Refrigerate or freeze the mixture for an hour.
- Using a mixer or food processor, whip the mixture until smooth and creamy.
Apply the body butter on face twice a day. If you find the mixture greasy, you can wipe off the excess with a tissue, 10 minutes after application.
3. Holistic Mango body butter recipe
- 25 drops Frankincense essential oil
- 1 oz raw Cocoa butter
- 1 tsp Vitamin E oil
- ½ cup each Mango butter, Avocado oil and Shea butter
- In a double broiler, melt the butters first.
- Remove from heat and add essential oil, Vitamin E oil and Avocado oil.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Whip in an electric mixer for 10 minutes.
- Store in a clean glass bottle.
4. Whipped body butter recipe with Beeswax
- 1 oz Jojoba oil
- ½ oz beeswax
- 2 oz each distilled water, Aloe Vera gel, and Mango butter
- 3 oz each Avocado butter and Sweet Almond oil
- 20 drops Lavender essential oil
- In a double broiler, over medium heat, melt the oils (except Lavender oil) and butters. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and freeze for an hour.
- Remove from freezer and add Aloe Vera gel and distilled water. Using an electric whisk, whisk for 10 minutes.
- Add the Lavender oil. Blend well.
- Store in a glass jar.
5. Non greasy body butter bar
Looking for ways to make body butters less greasy? Use this body butter recipe with Beeswax. It is suitable for all skin types. Making them in form of bars makes storage and application easier. These are great for gifting as well.
- 1 oz each of Beeswax, Cocoa butter and Sweet Almond oil or Jojoba oil
- ½ tsp Essential oil of your choice (optional). You can use any oil like Lemon, Sweet Orange, Peppermint etc.
- Silicon molds for making the butter into bars.
- Slowly melt the Beeswax and Cocoa butter. Be patient, as this takes time.
- Remove from heat and add the Almond or Jojoba oil.
- Mix well.
- Cool slightly and pour into silicone molds.
- Refrigerate and let the butter cool for an hour or until solidified.
To use: Glide the body butter bar on the skin until it is moisturized.
Let us know which DIY homemade body butter recipe you loved!