A question foremost on the mind of weight watcher is ‘does the hair grow back after crash dieting?’Many people who undergo weight loss surgery (bariatric surgery) are also concerned about thinning hair, weight loss fatigue and other symptoms that occur due to lower food intake. So today we will study some of the best vitamins you need to take in order to thicken hair after weight loss.
People who undergo drastic weight loss or have bariatric surgery often report losing hair for up to 6 months after the surgery. These patients almost always have low ferritin levels. In fact; iron is one of the most important nutrients having a correlation with hair loss. A ferritin level of less than 40 microgram per liter is associated with severe hair loss in women. Talk to your doctor about how much iron to take. Excess iron can cause side effects like constipation, so increase your fiber intake. Foods rich in iron are fortified cereals, red meat, liver, seafood, spinach, raisins etc.
Many animal and human case studies have shown that deficiency in zinc could cause significant hair loss. In fact; telogen effluvium weight loss and related hair loss is definitely linked to low levels of zinc. Zinc deficiency is especially seen in patients who have undergone duodenal switch or gastric bypass or banding procedures for weight loss. You can safely take up to 40 mg of elemental zinc for a period of at least 6 months to see hair regrowth for hair loss following weight loss.
Low protein is associated with weight watchers hair loss. Apart from protein, lower levels of l-lysine amino acid are also indicated. In a study, anemic patients who took 1.5 to 2 grams of l-lysine apart from iron therapy showed that ferritin levels increased more substantially than those who took iron therapy alone.
There are currently no studies that show any correlation between biotin intake and hair regrowth following drastic weight loss. However, many individuals who have supplemented with biotin topically or internally believe that this vitamin can help with hair regrowth. Biotin deficiency is definitely linked with dermatitis but not many studies have shown its correlation with hair loss.
5. Other nutrients
Apart from these vitamins, other nutrients for hair health are vitamin A, inositol, folate, vitamin B6, and omega 3 essential fatty acids. Patients who have undergone drastic weight loss may also want to rule out PCOS or polycystic syndrome and thyroid issues as well as genetic factors for hair loss.
Does hair regrow after crash dieting?
Telogen effluvium is very common after crash dieting. However, you might not see results in just a few weeks after you start eating normally again. You will need to eat a balanced meal and also take nutritional vitamins and supplements for 3-4 months to regrow the lost hair. Most crash diets fail as the weight gain continues after you stop the diet. So continue eating small, healthy meals. Exercise daily and practice stress control. Stress is also known to cause weight gain and hair loss.
How to thicken hair after weight loss?
Hair loss following gastric bypass or other bariatric surgical procedures can be distressing. However, there are ways to thicken hair following the weight loss.
- Take a vitamin and mineral supplement. You need to take Iron, Zinc and Biotin pills. Also take cysteine (500 mg per day) supplements.
- Drink green tea. Green tea has natural DHT blockers. DHT is the hormone that, in excess, causes hair loss.
- Use Minoxidil. Apply the medicine all over the bald patches. You need to use Minoxidil for at least 6 months, every day, to see results.
- Cut stress. Meditate, exercise, laugh and be happy. Stress can cause major hair loss. Include some form of daily stress control practices in day to day life.
- Take finasteride – This is an oral medicine that blocks DHT. You need to take a dose of 2.5 mg per day for severe hair loss. However, this drug can have side effects.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the hair and scalp. Use natural Aloe extracts taken directly from the leaf of Aloe Barbadensis plant. Aloe has anti-inflammatory properties that curb dandruff, block DHT and stimulate hair growth. It also protects the hair from environmental factors. When used daily, you will see fresh hair growth and also prevent hair fall.
Check out our other articles on natural remedies for hair regrowth.