Inflammation and infection of the tonsils affects young adults and children more. Earlier, doctors would advise removal of tonsils to prevent chronic tonsillitis. However, these days, most experts believe it is better to keep them. Tonsils act as an early warning sign of weakened immunity. Let us study some home remedies to cure tonsillitis without antibiotics.
1. Turmeric and ginger milk
This is an Ayurvedic remedy for getting rid of pain caused by swollen tonsils. Boil one cup of milk with 1 tsp ginger powder and ¼ tsp organic turmeric powder. Add honey to taste and drink this mixture warm at bedtime. This will prevent pain and cough and help the child sleep at night.
2. Lime and honey
Squeeze the juice of an entire lime or lemon in a glass of warm water. Stir in some organic raw honey and a bit of sea salt and drink this tea several times a day to reduce swelling and pain.
3. Vegetable juices
Carrot, beet and cucumber juices taken mixed or individually can also help. These are particularly beneficial to cure tonsillitis with fever.
4. Gargle with fenugreek solution
Boil some water and add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to it. Use the solution to gargle 3-4 times a day. This remedy can prevent and cure tonsillitis pain in 4 hours.
5. Salt water gargle
Gargle with warm salt water 3-4 times a day to cure tonsillitis without antibiotics.
6. Apple cider vinegar
Gargle with undiluted apple cider vinegar 3-4 times a day. The remedy will burn and sting but it will surely drive away the germs and stop the pain instantly.
7. Coconut oil
Eat a tablespoon of organic coconut oil or gargle with melted coconut oil. Let the oil sit on the tonsils. This will bring out the mucus and cure tonsillitis permanently.
Fasting can help cure tonsillitis without antibiotics. Feed the patient only orange juice and water for 2 days. Once the pain is gone, the patient may eat an all-fruits diet. Gradually add vegetables, nuts, seeds, soups and stews to his/her diet. Avoid spicy, fried foods as well as curds, buttermilk and sour or fermented foods.
9. Warm water enema
Taking enemas during the fast can cleanse the bowels and detoxify the body to prevent inflammation. This can improve immunity and prevent episodes of tonsillitis.
10. Epsom salt baths
Soaking in tub bath mixed with magnesium rich salts can prevent pain and also reduce fever.
11. Hot teas and beverages
Hot liquids soothe the throat and prevent pain. Many herbal teas also cure inflammation and their antibiotic effects eliminate germs. Here are some beverages to drink in order to cure tonsillitis without antibiotics:
- Mullein leaf tea
- Hot milk with unsalted butter, lard and some crushed garlic
- A few tbsp of warm brandy
- Half a glass of pickle or sauerkraut juice
- Make a tea with boiling water, some lemon juice, a bit of honey, cayenne pepper and dash of apple cider vinegar. Drink the mixture3-4 times a day. This tea will cure tonsillitis without antibiotics.
- Green tea- at least 3 cups per day.
12. Crushed garlic
Garlic contains allicin which is a natural antibiotic. Eat crushed garlic or crushed raw onion mixed with cayenne pepper. To make this easier for kids to swallow, add the garlic to soups. You can also apply the mixture of crushed garlic and onion on some bread with butter.
13. Hot compresses
Apply one or more of the following:
- Hot compress with soothing essential oils and hot water to the throat
- Place a warm woolen cloth around the neck.
- Castor oil compress can relieve pain.
- Mouth of an open alcohol bottle pressed to the throat- allow the alcohol to seep in
- Garlic or onion oil infusion to the throat
- Powdered sulphur to the back of the throat
14. Hydrogen peroxide
Mix a tablespoon each of distilled water and 3% Hydrogen peroxide. Nebulize for 15-20 minutes at least 3 times a day. This is an effective tonsils home remedy.
Many supplements can help the patient suffering from tonsils.
- Increase intake of vitamin C- at least 2000 mg per day in divided doses
- Zinc-this improves immunity so take at least 10 mg per day
- Fish oil prevents inflammation-you need at least 1000 mg per day.
- Echinacea and Goldenseal-these herbs boost immunity. Take as per product label.
Use these 15 remedies to cure tonsillitis permanently.