The food we eat not only nourishes our body; it also stimulates our mind. Often, the cause of low libido in men and women can be linked to underlying nutritional deficiencies as well as emotional or mental issues. Depression and anxiety are both factors that can cause low libido in men and women. By eating the right foods, many of these problems can be overcome. Majority of Americans today are known to suffer from emotional problems thanks to improper diet. Preservatives like MSG or aspartame, food colors and dyes as well as sugary foods with high fructose corn syrup are all responsible for nutritional deficiencies. According to Natural News, “enjoying an active sex life is essential for our well being and the foods we eat play a major role in ensuring that we feel in the mood”. So today we will be studying some of the best aphrodisiacs to boost libido.
Celery is a food that works like Viagra as it increases sexual stimulation. For men, eating celery can enhance the pheromones in sweat and make them smell more attractive to women. Include celery in your diet; but make sure to choose organic varieties only.
2. Pumpkin seeds
A deficiency in zinc can cause hormonal imbalance as well as low sex drive in women and men. Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc which stimulates testosterone production that is important for libido in men and women. Omega 3 essential fatty acids in zinc prevent depression which is also a factor that could impact libido. So go ahead, eat a handful of pumpkin seeds daily.
3. Walnuts and almonds
Almonds are rich in Vitamin E. You need at least 15 mg of vitamin E daily to prevent low sex drive. Likewise, walnuts are a good source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids which can prevent depression and increase libido. Both walnuts and almonds boost production of male sex hormones. Eat a handful of nuts daily.
Bananas are a rich source of potassium. Potassium deficiency could cause hormonal imbalance and low testosterone in men and women. Bananas also contain Riboflavin and bromelain enzyme both of which enhance sexual energy and stamina. So eat a banana or two daily to boost libido instantly.
Avocados are a rich source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids and other good fats. These are necessary to prevent depression and anxiety which can impact one’s performance in bed. Avocados also contain high levels of folic acid that assist in metabolizing proteins for a burst of energy. So eat organic avocados daily by making them into guacamole or enjoying them as is in salads or on toast.
Chilies contain anti-inflammatory compounds that not only relax your tensed muscles and reduce pain; they even heat up your sex lives! The compound capsaicin found in chilies releases chemicals that raise the heart beat and warm up your blood. Chilies also rev up the production of feel good endorphins, pump up libido and also stimulate nerve endings that increase heart rate.
Oysters have been known as ‘love foods’ since a long time. Their high zinc content increases production of testosterone while their ability to boost dopamine levels prevents mood swings and depression that impact libido in men and women.
If you wish to improve your stamina and sexual energy, eat figs. These foods that increase female libido are high in amino acids that give you a burst of energy.
9. Dark chocolate
Women who enjoyed dark chocolate or cocoa daily are proven to enjoy a more active sex life than those who don’t. Raw unadulterated cocoa is very high in antioxidants and helps stimulate a chemical called phenylethylamine that increases sexual excitement.
10. Herbs and spices to increase libido and testosterone
- Nutmeg– Some animals studies have shown that nutmeg acts just like Viagra does. Indian Ayurvedic/herbalists have been recommending this spice as a ‘love’ food since centuries.
- Ginger, cinnamon and cayenne– These anti-inflammatory herbs and spices are warming and aromatic. They heat up the blood to boost physical and sexual desire. Eat these daily to improve blood flow to the sexual organs and intensify sexual response. The smell of Cinnamon is known to increase sexual desire in men. Cayenne is anti-inflammatory and relieves tension in muscles to relax the body and rev up the mood.
- Fenugreek contains saponins that trigger sex hormones such as testosterone. A study has actually proven that taking fenugreek extracts upped male libido. 500 mg of fenugreek is recommended to boost sexual desire, prevent menopausal symptoms and also alleviate symptoms of type 2 diabetes that could affect sexual performance.
- Saffron-This expensive, warming and fragrant spice is a well known aphrodisiac. Add a few strands of saffron to warm milk with some honey and drink before bedtime to boost libido and enhance sexual pleasure in men and women.
Broccoli is one of the best foods to increase libido in men. Women should eat this sparingly since its high Indole-3-carbinol content could lower estrogen and have the opposite effect.
This is a probiotic food that has the potential to kill cancer cells, thanks to its high isothiocyanates content. Additionally, it has high levels of fiber, calcium and vitamin C and also boosts testosterone.
Beans in any form (baked or fried etc) and of any variety including Lima, black, navy, red or kidney beans contain high amount of zinc. Moreover, they are also rich in fiber and protein and can boost testosterone levels.
Flax seeds are extremely rich in omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids that increase testosterone and boost sex drive. Essential fatty acids are the main components of all sex hormones. You can sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of flax seeds on your morning cereal or take 2 tbsp of flax seed oil (this will give you 140% of the recommended daily intake.)
Apart from these 14 libido boosting super foods, you can also eat Arugula, cantaloupe, berries, oats and other live and organic foods to boost libido in females and males.