Sagging skin is a price we all pay for getting older. In some cases, sagging skin can also be a side effect of extreme weight loss. Typically, the skin starts sagging around the eyes, neck, and under the chin. This loose skin also starts developing fine lines and wrinkles which start looking deeper and deeper as we age. It hurts to see these signs of aging; so today, we are going to discuss some natural skin tightening remedies to help you develop tighter, firmer and more youthful skin that can take years off your face. Note that some of the remedies are preventive in nature but you must start using these regularly to prevent further sagging.
Massaging and tapping the facial skin a few times a day improves blood circulation and can tighten the skin. Always massage upwards going around the neck and pressing on the bone. If needed, you can also get a facial massage from a specialist. Make sure you press along the skin on the cheeks and keep going upwards to the eye area. Do not pull the skin; push it upwards. You can use olive oil or a rich crème to help glide smoothly along the skin.
2. Avoid over exposure to sun
The UV rays of the sun cause photo-damage that deepens wrinkles and leads to sagging. Therefore, it is very important to avoid the sun during the peak hours of 10 am to 4 pm. If you plan to hit the road during this period, make sure you apply sunscreen liberally. In fact; you must apply sunscreen every day, and even on cloudy days, to prevent aging. Choose a sunscreen with a SPF of 30+ or more. Apply it everywhere on the face and neck and repeat application every 2-3 hours.
3. Quit smoking
Men and women who smoke unknowingly speed up aging. Cigarette smoke contains toxins which cause free radical damage inside the body that causes premature aging. Studies have shown that people who quit smoking improve their physical appearance in less than a week. Skin tightening remedies for loose skin do not get easier than that.
4. Avoid drugs and alcohol
Like smoking, several drugs and alcohol also cause the skin to become papery and dry which increases fine lines and wrinkles. Heavy drinkers tend to have puffy eyes and cheeks since the alcohol dehydrates the skin completely leading to a sagging, aged look.
5. Stay away from pollution
To reduce and prevent sagging skin around the eyes, you must also stay away from smoke, chemicals and dust. These factors are very harsh on the skin and can aggravate fine lines.
6. Avoid repeated motions
Do you have a habit of squinting? Do you work long hours in front of the computer with frown on your face? Do your lips tend to take a downward turn as you go about your day? These actions can all cause sagging and fine lines. You will need to make an effort to relax the muscles on the face from time to time. This is one of the simplest and most effective remedies for sagging skin around the eyes and under the chin. So, smile every time you remember and also take a deep breath and mindfully relax the face.
7. Do facial exercises
This is especially an extremely important remedy for sagging skin causes by excess weight loss. Here are some exercises that work:
- Kissy face-Sit in a chair comfortably with your back straight. Look upwards to the ceiling stretching your neck completely. Now make “kissy” faces as if you are trying to kiss the ceiling. Do it 10 times in sets of 3. This facial exercise for skin tightening helps tighten the neck and the skin around the jaws and cheeks.
- Lion face– Sit comfortably. Now, bring your tongue out as far as possible and make a lion like face. You can even roar out loud. This exercise strengthens the skin around the eyes and on the cheeks.
- Slapping the neck-Stick out your neck. Now, with the back of both hands, start slapping the area under the jaw. Slap firmly but not till it hurts. You will feel the blood flow to that area. This will help tighten the muscles in the jaw and prevent sagging skin under the chin.
8. Apply vitamin E
Vitamin E oil is one of the best natural remedies for skin tightening. Cut a caplet containing pure vitamin E oil and take some of it in your palms. Massage this onto the neck and face. Leave the oil on overnight. Try and consume a diet rich in Vitamin E (nuts, seeds, wheat germ, sea food etc). The antioxidants in this vitamin bind to the free radicals and prevent further damage at cellular level. You can also use the following skin tightening mask with vitamin E
- Vitamin E-2 to 3 caplets
- 2 tsp plain yogurt
- ½ tsp honey
- ½ tsp lemon or lime juice
Method: Mix all ingredients. Apply it to the face focusing on the area under the eyes, along the chin, cheeks and jaw line. Wash off after 20 minutes.
9. Olive oil and egg whites
This is another wonderful and super effective remedy for tightening sagging facial skin naturally. Mix two egg whites with a little olive oil and beat until frothy. Using clean cotton wool, apply the mixture all over the facial skin under the eyes and along the cheeks, forehead and jaw line. Let it remain for 20 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
10. Coconut oil and vitamin E anti-sagging face crème
To make a homemade anti-wrinkle and anti-sagging skin facial crème, simply mix coconut oil and vitamin E oil in equal proportions. Apply this on the facial skin and leave it on overnight. As with any treatment, you need to be patient and use this remedy regularly. However, this coconut oil and vitamin E oil remedy for sagging skin works quickly and you can see results in less than a week.
11. Pineapple and Apple facial mask
The juice of green apples and raw pineapples can also be mixed together to create a face mask that reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and also heals dry, cracked skin.
12. Papaya and banana anti sagging skin mask
Take the pulp of overripe bananas and papayas. Mix them together and add a teaspoon of honey in it. Apply this mixture on the face and neck. Leave on for 20 minutes before rinsing off with warm water. Papaya contains papain, an enzyme that renews skin cells and eliminates dead skin. Bananas are rich in B vitamins which help rejuvenate aging skin.
13. Eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet will help you give your skin the nutrients it needs to renew its collagen and elastin layers. This will reduce the fine lines and wrinkles.
- Eat plenty of fresh and organic fruits and vegetables for antioxidants to reduce free radical damage.
- Consume nuts and seeds for proteins, B vitamins and omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids. Eat plenty of flax seeds which can fight wrinkles. Drink flax seed oil 2 times a day but make sure your body is used to it at first (or else it could cause diarrhea).
- Do eat plenty of whole grains. Avoid sugar and refined grains.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day to hydrate the skin from inside out.
Meditation is known to prevent premature aging and much research is pointing to this fact. During meditation your mind and body are at deep rest which relaxes muscles of the face. Regular meditation twice each day can help prevent premature aging and can also bring a youthful glow on the face. Meditation also reduces stress which is a known cause of sagging skin, fine lines and wrinkles.
Try these 14 home remedies for sagging skin on the face and under the chin and see firmer looking skin in weeks!